Do you have a nose for baking?

I seem to have a sixth sense about baking. I just know when what I am baking is done. Do you have this or rely on a timer?
@brimia (6584)
Occasionally I have this sense but often I have to keep track of how long they're in there or check on them...I tend to like my baked goods slightly underdone...not browned or crispy.
@lilybug (21148)
When I am baking my cookies I always take them out when the tops are set up but they are not browned. They continue to cook a little bit when you take them out and if you take them out a minute or 2 early then they stay softer longer too.
Well underdone isn't too bad. At least you can fix that. If you burn it, there is not a thing you can do about it. lol.
@1grnthmb (2063)
I wish I did. One problem with gluten free stuff is that it always seems to take longer then it should. sometimes up to twenty minutes.
Wow, that is a long time. Then again, gluten makes things airier so, it stands to reason that more dense foods would take a little longer to cook.
@lilybug (21148)
I use a timer. I get easily distracted doing other things when I am baking and if I do not have a timer going I will end up burning whatever it is that I am cooking most of the time. I will sometimes catch it just in time, but I do not have a sixth sense about it.
lol, I know about distractions. I got 3 of my own. Two five and under and one full grown that can't do anything by himself. lol.
I never use a timer. I usually have a pretty good sense of when I need to check on things and when they will be finished.
That is me for sure.
Well, I'm impressed with your six sense. I have to say that I have not been similarly blessed. I need the timer or else I have been known to leave things in the oven and burn them to a crisp. I only seem to smell them after they are already black.
lol, this is not to say that my talent is 100%. Sometimes if I am having a particularly bad day.... Whoa boy! You don't want to be in the house with me, and not just because of the red headed temper fits.
@Amanda81587 (3046)
I still have to use a timer lol. Its crazy but true haha. I will burn water if i dont watch hahaha
Hey, if it isn't broke, don't fix it right?