I am so grateful but I need help making a decision....Mylotters tell me wwyd?

@sanell (2114)
United States
August 1, 2008 8:58am CST
Okay here is the deal, My hubby and I are broke but he is working at contract for a company and it ends in November. I have been selling insurance which has been great things are really moving now I have appointments and it is going well but, I will not see any commissions for a good few months so right now I am paying out on things and will not get that money back until the end of the year, so let's just say, I do not have that money at all. Finally my hubby came to me and said he was scared and did not know what to do. He wants this last time to be borrowing money from his dad which I am all for, because I hate to borrow money but we had absolutely no choice. His medications alone cost us $1000 a month....just so he can function. Okay so I said enough is enough I am going to look for a job. I found two. I applied at my old company I use to work at as a bodily injury claims adjuster - it was one of my favorite jobs I absolutely loved doing it. and then I applied for an insurance company that pays a base and commissions and thought OKAY I can do that it is not just selling auto insurance so that is a good thing. I know that I could probably go to my broker and get a draw going but I do not want to owe money I do not want to have that over my head, that way I am really stuck with what I have and if nothing pans out then I am stuck. So I get an interview with the insurance company, I go to it and I ask a ton of questions. They normally recruit people that have just come out of college or maybe have not had a career in insurance. Well guess what, I have a license and I do sell but I need something that is going to give me a little more to pay. I have made it to interview part 3 already. It could be promising and they have their problems. We will see how it goes. WEll after I had my second interview with the company, my old company called me for an interview. So I had my phone interview with them and it went great, I am meeting or going through INterview 2 and 3 on Monday, SO here is the scoop: IF I take my old job back, I get a higher salary of probably around $50 to $60 and I want to get closer to $60K a year. After 6 months I will get to work at home. I get full benefits and will be reinstated with my seniority and 3 weeks vacation as if I never left. They will subsidize my bus pass as I can just take the bus down and back since their office is fairly close to my house. The flexibility is not as great, I will work full time, I will not be able to keep my daughter at her montessori school because I would have to find someone who could take her and pick her up. I would be able to do it after I am at home, but that is still 6 months. I do not really have a back up on that so I guess I should look for something. Or I beg my husband to re arrange his schedule to get my daughter to school. I would have to keep up with my license on my own which is no big deal I would do it. With the insurance job, They would give me tons of leads to work on, I would make a small base $26K a year, not terrible because right now i am getting $0 plus i make commissions on that and could make up to $60K to $70K a year. I work out of my home, all my education is paid for, I will get subsidy for gas, the beneifts would not kick in for another 6 months though, but I would still be selling insurance which I am having a good time doing and I would be at home, and I would get the benefits eventually but we do need them now but I would not need to rely on my hubby to get my child to and from school. So they are both great positions, and I am having a hard time deciding what to do. My heart says to just see if I Can get the $60K job at my old company, I just keep up with my license on my own and hope that in the future I could still sell insurance. I just do not know. I guess I feel like if I took my old job I would be settling BUT I really need that comfortable feeling. I still have the interviewing process to get through and of course an offer. So....I will see what could happen. I am stuck and not sure what to do. Today I will do some education on my license and figure it out. I am just stuck and would love to get your opinions.
3 people like this
3 responses
• United States
1 Aug 08
That is a difficult decision. If it were me, I would probably go with the insurance job, simply because I prefer flexibility in my jobs. Of course, it comes down to you doing what your heart tells you to do. Good luck.
1 person likes this
@sanell (2114)
• United States
4 Aug 08
You are so right, That is what my mom said, go with the job that will give more flexibility, but there are cons with that too, even though I would have the flexibility, I would not have the benefits until 6 months of being with them, and that is kind of a downer, plus The base is not always a guarantee, it is still better than where I am at so it is a tough one to consider, I do appreciate the help though, because they are both good opportunities I just have to wait it out I still have to go through this coming week with the interviews too....I think it will go fine, so who knows. I will keep you all posted and thanks for the feedback!@
@bamakelly (5194)
• United States
1 Aug 08
You have a lot going on there! You also have some decisions to make. It seems like it is going to be tough. All that I can say is that I wish you a lot of luck and you will do what is best for you and your family. I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction as to which profession to choose, so just trust in your heart and you will be alright. Just remember that what you do is for your family, and by the way the avatar that you have posted is a delightful looking family. What a cute little baby you have!
@sanell (2114)
• United States
4 Aug 08
you are right about that, all I can do is wait and see what makes the most sense, I can not keep speculating what could be or what could not be. I know that i would have security no matter what and either job would still be great for the family. I will see what pans out and keep everyone posted. I have written up all the pros and cons and if I can get a certain amount from my past company then that would be a great thing...even if I can get up to what I want I would probably think to take that position but I would have to work it out with my hubby and see what his thoughts will be. I know in my heart that all will work out to our benefit so I will find out how it goes and let you all know. Thanks for the compliment on my avatar, actually my baby is now two years old, and the 2 year old is already 4. I guess I should update it. Thanks again.
@penny64 (1106)
• Australia
4 Aug 08
I can understand your dilemma - I would also be drawn to the safety of my old job, but I think under the circumstances I'd choose the insurance job because it is a challenge, has better prospects and is flexible. What do your family think? They have to live with you ... :)