Like Obama or not, you have to admire his campaign tactic

In year's past, I hated to see election time come around. One candidate for an office slinging mud at the other, then the other slinging mud back; I can't stand that. I don't care what the other person is doing wrong in your eyes, I want to know what you are going to do that's right! This year I have been way into the Presidential Campaign than ever before, and I think Obama's campaign is the reason why. If you notice now, McCain has two commercials out against Obama, but did Obama turn around and start slinging more mud? No! He just stated as he did in the beginning what he is going to do once he becomes President. He did this in the primaries with Clinton. I forget exactly what she said in her commercials, but I know there were a couple against Obama. He never replied to them, never acknowledged them. He just simply stated what his goals were once he became President. That to me marks change, and tells me that Obama is a step in the right direction. Also its a breath of fresh air to me, because you don't have to worry about what Obama is going to say back to McCain. He's got confidence in himself that shows, and he doesn't have to respond to what anyone else is saying about him. So is it just me, or do you like the approach that Obama is using?
@mcat19 (1358)
I am so sick of the McBush followers who can only criticize Obama -- he's a rock star; people overseas like him; he did this; he didn't do that. McCain never says what he'll do -- only what's wrong with Obama. McCain can't remember who is who in Iraq. The man is too old for the job he wants. It's sad but true. I firmly believe we need someone new, someone inspiring. He doesn't have to have all the answers right now; he's on the right side of things. He's above the dirty stupid old fashioned campaign tactics that McCain adores. I can't wait until Obama is in the White House. The respect this country will have from all over the world will be mind boggling.
You are totally right!!! Why can't people see that McCain is just another Bush??? WHY WHY WHY??????? Then when they vote for him they'll be the first ones to complain about this and that. He does not have the average americans best interest at heart. Think about the economy where would it be if there was another Bush in House. GOOOOO OBamaaaaaaaaa!!!
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
"McCain too old to be president" Please elaborate? I'm not going to call you on your own youth and I'm hoping you have genuine reasons for your statement other than the "never trust anyone over 30" cliche'.
@ZephyrSun (7385)
I happen to like Obama and I love his campaign tatic. I'm sure that there will be all the Republicans on here saying all of this trash, but I was reading some of it and it appears it has already started. I think it's great that FINALLY someone was taken the better position and NOT slung back when mud was thrown at them. I think it's great that so many Americans are excited about an election, I really hope that this means we will be able to call him President Obama. Thanks for posting such a great discussion.
@bdugas (3581)
Since you have decided this is the man to run our country, and I can't figure out what he means by change, maybe you can tell me what he stands for. I can't figure it out. I hear him yelling change, but what is the change he is talking about, way I see it if he get elected we could end up in a bind, at one time there was another young man who yelled change, and once he was elected he brought change but it wasn't what the people of Cuba wanted. Get my drift. This man yells change and not one shows where he as a junior senator has any experience in running a country, or dealing with foreign policy. His ideas is outdated and no he doesn't have to throw mud back, is it his way of trying to show the american people he is different. I would say that he is different this is the first time we have had a person running for office, that one of the oppoints is tied to people with some very shaddy pasts, that we allow this man to run for an office knowing tht he supports these people. I see a smooth talker that confused the people, and yelling change it gives the people hope that one day he can make it all better which we know is a lie. I'd rather go to bed at night knowing some one was there to do what it takes to keep me safe at night. Than a smooth talker that wants a Rockstar immage.
McCain too old to be president and Obama doesn't want a Rockstar image. Go ObamAAAAAAAA!!!!
right!if one has to sling mud to win then they dont deserve to win
@Kowgirl (3491)
Bravo! Great response. I agree.
@anniepa (27238)
Yes, I like the approach he's using. He's hitting back at each attack rather than allowing himself to be "swift-boated" like was done to John Kerry in 2004. He doesn't need to resort to the dirty, mud-slinging tactics McCain is using, he's able to stay above all that. It will be so much fun to watch McCain implode before our eyes. Annie
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
The one thing I can say is that the has in fact gotten many former non voters interested. What I see in Obama's campaign scares me. People are following him like lemmings to the cliff. He utters the word "change" in that deep comanding voice and people swoon. Change what? How? The senator offers a flowery vision of things but very little in actual policy that works when broken down. Lots of things SOUND nice but just don't work when you ask specifics. the ONE thing I think he said I agrea with (and one of the very few things he has actualy specified) is that we need more troups in afganistan. I agrea, we need to open a serious can there. But this should be in addition to Iraq, not instead of, we still have work to do there. And any candidate who is willing to announce to the enemy when we will no longer be a bother to them scares the helll out of me. I also cannot help but notice how twice now, he has introduced race in to the campaign. Not my words, his own words. "oh...and did I mention he's black?"... he has used that line twice. Not ONCE has McCain ever made Obama's race an issue. He has in fact poked fun at his celebrity status and rightly so, but NEVER his race. We as a nation have come much too far in race relations and for him to do so is a spit in the face to the great civil rights leaders of the past and undoes all their blood won work. From a pure tactical standpoint, I guess he is in fact running a pretty successful campaign, illustrated by the constant near tie in polls. But I wonder how many of his star dusted followers can state what specific actions and policies and their details have drawn them to him. These are the things that draw me to a candidate. Not how flowery they speak, or how many adoring fans they can pack a stadium with, or how eutopian their vision is. But how real their ideas are and what details and facts back up the policies they back. His arrogence offends me and his ignorance to the realities of the world terrify me.
Before I begin let me say that although I do not agree with your views, I respect your right to have them, and bring no disrespect. No, McCain did not bring up the race issue, and Obama did. Its going to be talked about at some point by someone, therefore, why not tackle the issue head on? Second, what McCain did do is blame Obama because he voted against drilling on local soil. There was a news story a while back that said even if we were to start drilling again in America, this would not solve the problem, it would only prolong things. It would provide a small relief initially, but we would again face shortages and higher prices in as soon as ten years. You have to realize, just think is it worth the added polution we would have? The oil spills and lost wildlife? He may not be for drilling in the US, but what he is for is becoming independent of oil period. That is a better long-term solution to what we are experiencing now.
The fact is, he didn't boast all of this in his campaigning commercials. He didn't find the first retort he could fling at McCain. He simply stated what he is for.
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
"but what he is for is becoming independent of oil period" As is everyone else including McCain. Now my question and it points to the ecssence of my post....HOW? the story about it taking 10 years is nothing more than cliche propaganda. All the geoligists involved say 1 1/2 to 3 years. the chinese and other countries are already drilling off our shores anyway. they are drilling and selling our own oil back to us. If the shelf is going to be drilled, would you rather it be drilled by american technology? Or by countries with safety and environmental standards FAR below ours? Besides. all that is needed for oil prices to fall is the mention of the ban being lifted. That is simply how the market works. The witehouse lifted it's ban on off shore drilling and almost with in a day of the announcement, oil drops 15 bucks a barrel in less than a week. Obama is ignoring a basic fundmental pricipal of econimics and it further demonstrates his flowery but hollow platform of "change". Anyway, EVERYONE wants to go alternatives. A joint bill was just introduced by 10 senators today, from both parties, that would do this with in 20 years. It was just released so I have yet to see the details on it, I can't wait to. Now it may seem a long time, but like it or not, the technology to stop using oil tomorrow simply doesn not exist in a viable form or ammount. So in the meantime, like it or not, we're stuck with oil for a few more years. That is cold stark reality that no one seems to want to hear. But blocking out the facts and promising people a rose garden doesn't make them go away. All I ask miss is that you really listen to what he is saying and NOT saying. Get to know the devil in the details, or in this case, the lack of details. Ask how, then, don't just accept more generalities as an answer, look at numbers names, time frames, specifics. Then, do the research, does it match up with realities, whether we like reality or not it is a stubborn thing that cannot be waved away by an eloquent speech. Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the voting ring, I applaude your taking on of this sacred civic duty. Use it wisely
@academic2 (7010)
• Uganda
That is the kind of man that makes absolute sense to me-I know many people hate him for his good looks and black skin-but common, Obama is not black enough-he is just a human being with a big and charming mind-he is intelligeent-he is a true natural leader-watch him so very close, he could e the next Amercan President
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
"I know many people hate him for his good looks and black skin" I realize you don't live anywhere near the U.S. so there are a great many things you don't know about my country. For this, I won't fault you right now. while there is still some racism, it is very minimal these days, we're not where we were 50 years ago by any means. Most people here simply do not think like this anymore. Just the fact that Obama is the democratic partie's candidate demonstrates this pretty clearly. You don't get that nomination with out a lot of people liking you and if we were still a rampantly racist country, you would never even know who Obama is, let alone see him in the race as prominant as you do. The main problem people have with him is that he doesn't have a clear policy of set of solutions to offer. He simply says a lot of very flowery words but not a lot of substance. The substance he does offer is totaly against the principals of this country.
@oneidmnster (1389)
What campaign tactic?He went through an entire nomination process without ever saying a word about what he stood for.All he said was change.Every politician says that. Now that he has the nomination,most of what he says is just scary.Voting for Obama is voting for higher taxes,more foreign oil,amnesty for illegal immigrants,which means less jobs and a worse economy. Obama is a Senator that has never done anything.A large portion of his campaign funds were from Middle Eastern countries where we get the majority of our oil.This is why he's against offshore drilling.He thinks we have 57 states.Don't say he made a mistake.That's the kind of mistake Dan Quayle would make.Would you want Dan Quayle as your President? Get off the star performance and learn about the man.If you're for him after that,this country is in serious trouble!!!
@anniepa (27238)
Obviously we don't all have the same idea of what's scary and what would make this country in serious trouble. I'd say we're already in serious trouble and McCain as President would make it even much worse and I can't imagine anything more scary than him with his finger on the button. Annie
@Kowgirl (3491)
Obama is just doing what he is told.... His manager and supporters (money wise) have him in their pocket. He is just a puppet... He has no idea what to say without someone telling him what words to use, Just like he will do when or if he gets elected. He has flipped on almost everything he stands for. Today he will say whatever the people who are listening want to hear and then tomorrow he will "CHANGE" what he said yesterday to something else. The change we really need is someone we can trust to do what is right for this country and I don't think he has the experience or the audacity to do so. Why isn't he slinging mud???, because he wouldn't be able to live down what may come up about him and his past life.
@anniepa (27238)
You're actually saying that about Obama when McCain has LITERALLY been on both sides of every issue he's ever addressed. Any time Obama has changed his position on something he's stated why and explained it to the public. McCain, on the other hand, says, "I never said that!" even has the video of him saying whatever it is plays for him. Annie
@c2k2008 (92)
• Jamaica
go obama