Is it OK to be a Spy.Plz help me

Union trouble - Fight for their rights
@pkraj111 (2459)
Hi everybody. I work for a manufacturing industry. I wont tell where as some of my friends are also members here. There is a fight brewing up between my subordinates who have an union and the management. I am at Jr. Management level.My subordinates get along with me well. They believe in me as they believe in no others. The union is threatening the management with an all out strike. I am so close with my subordinates that they tell me all their plans. Today my manager is asking me to learn more about their plans and keep them informed.My promotion is in site and I fear I will lose it if I dont do what they need, whereas my subordinates believed in me so much that I cannot cheat them. What should I do?Plz help me
@nilzerous1 (2435)
Ask your inner 'you' this question, what matters most to you - your career, or security of your subordinates who trust you. I just want to make you aware that corporate politics is very cruel; and even if you comply with the decision of your management - it won't be a secret for long time! So, you may have to work with more responsibility on your shoulder later on but without acquiring trust of your subordinates. Besides, calling on a strike is the power that your sub-ordinate may exercise at any point of time, it depends upon them; being a part of management - you can offer your advices on how to combat such events, if it has materialized. Otherwise, there is no point in passing on voluntary information based on gossips that you might have heard.
@pkraj111 (2459)
Thanks for the response. All I heard so far has materialized and somehow the higher management got wind of it. I cannot pretend as if I dont know a thing and I cannot lose my job. It is so important to me. I am just 5 years old in my career and cant risk it
OK. So you are clear to your consent; and yes, under this circumstances you need to pass on the information to someone you personally trust in your higher management - do not make it official.
@mmiller26 (1932)
Wow, that's a tough spot to be in. On one hand, you could lose your promotion if you don't do what your manager is telling you to do. On the other hand, if you rat out your subordinates, you lose their trust and that trust will be lost long after the strike is over. I guess you need to ask yourself if you want to get your promotion by stepping on them on your way up. Then again, if you're considered management, even in a junior capacity, aren't your subordinates striking against you as well? I guess if it were me, I'd tell your subordinates to stop giving you information. Then you have very minimal to report. You won't be informed of the plans, so you can't give too much info to your managers, and your subordinates will respect your integrity. Best of luck to you.
@pkraj111 (2459)
Thanks for the response. The thing is I cant ask my subordinates to stop giving me information as they look me apart from management and they will even start their strike against me also. I dont think I can face that
@mmiller26 (1932)
That's part of being management, unfortunately. You can be their boss, or you can be their friend. It's very difficult to be both, especially in a situation like this. And if you want a promotion, you're going to have to think about stuff like that. If you get a promotion, they will be striking against you, whether they like you or not.
@dreamssri (1796)
hmm..thats a very bad situation... i dont have enough experience or age to talk about this...but i too have some 17 years experience(since i born) in this world.. dont ever cheat anybody for anything...if yoy get something by cheating some one then you will loose the double the amount in no tome...please be aware that He is watching us! so at any cost dont leak your co-workers' plans... Goodday, Sri
@pkraj111 (2459)
thanks for the advice. your experience is highly valuable
@diutay (1315)
You are indeed in a very tight situation. Is there anything that you can do to mediate instead instead breaking their trust in you? In any case, you can also examine all factors objectively and whichever goes with your principles, then stand by it.