Is there anyone out there that even know's what Burning Man is?

@freedomg (1684)
It may sound silly but I really miss talking about Burning Man but for some reason I have yet tho find a single burner on here. I find it hard to believe as well as fascinating that an event that had 40,000 plus attendees goes unmentioned in most areas of society. Well I guess the point of this topic is just to see how many people here on mylot have even heard of the Burning Man festival.
@myklj999 (18154)
I've heard of it and seen references to it in articles before, but must admit to complete ignorance as to what it actually is. Something about burning works of art or something? I'm answering from email; I guess I'll find out more when I actually get to the discussion.
@freedomg (1684)
It is a huge art festival in the Nevada desert that happens once a year. Yes some of the art pieces do get burned, some shoot fire, and some are just there. There's also fire dancers,belly dancers, and a lot of parties. The whole concept is based around two things...radical self reliance (not so easy out there) and radical self expression (that's the fun part). www.burningman.com is the website. They have pics of some of the most amazing works of art you have ever seen. A lot of it is just silly and fun but there is stuff there also that would take your breath away. It's the one place in the world where you can be who ever and what ever you want, that's a huge drawing point for a girl named Freedom
@freedomg (1684)
Oh yeah I forgot, the reason it is called Burning Man is because at the end of the week they burn a 40 foot tall man that stands light up over everything.
I've never been, but I've always wanted to go! I have a buddy that's been going for close to ten years, but I've never been able to tag along. I'm always surprised to see how many people have never even heard of the event. I would think that'd it'd begin to get increasingly more popular and 'heard of' in the masses.
@freedomg (1684)
I heard of it 3 years ago and have been trying to get there ever since. I have decided that I will be going for the 09 burn. I've even started a project for it. I'm still drawing up the plans but it's big and will need a lot of planing. I hope you make it out there. How long ago /and how did you hear about it?
I heard about it roughly ten years ago through one of my friends who used to go every year. Good luck with your planning and enjoy it!
@ZephyrSun (7385)
I do but that's only because of you. It does seem strange that with all of these people I am sure someone has.
@freedomg (1684)
Thank you for posting sweety. You would think it would be hard to find some one that hasn't heard of it. Especially after last year it was all over the news where that guy set the man on fire early. Yet there are still so few around that have heard of it.
@sconibear (8010)
reading your discussion made be think of the episode of "Reno 911" where the cops try to go to Burning Man undercover. if you haven't seen it, it's hilarious. anyways, back to your discussion, i live in Las Vegas and so am pretty familiar with Burning Man......i haven't attended yet, but hopefully will in the near future. looks like it would be a great experience.
@freedomg (1684)
Yes I've seen it and nearly wet my pants. It's so great to finally find other people that have heard of burning man on here. I tried to invite some other burners over from another site but my invite was misinterpreted as an attempt to profit from the burning man name. Something that is a huge no no and is something I would never do. From what I have seen and I've done a lot of research it looks to be amazing. I've been a little obsessed ever since I first heard of it.
@Catkin (480)
Gosh, quite an old discussion to be digging up, but hello from a fellow burner! This will be my third year; the first year I went, I was aware that it might be my first and last Burning Man experience, but within 2 days of having arrived, I knew I would be back. It's a wonderful event, though it really is what you make of it. Do you still attend? :)