I fell for it! Antivirus XP 2008

@Ritz100 (1119)
Spain
I started a discussion a few days ago about anti-virus and firewall software and guess what happened today ... I got a virus, expletive expletive expletive! Just wanted to warn everyone, dont open an email that say CNN top 10 stories. I did and tried to view a video, it tried to install a viewer and I bloody let it! Expletive! So now Ive got Antivirus XP 2008. I am having to be instructed by Security Cadets on how to clean it off the system, it seems it leaves lots of nasties behind, so needs to be thoroughly removed, with care. I have been running Panda online scanner for 3 hours now and it have found 30 infected files, so far! Has anyone else had this virus? How much time to get rid of it?
Hey, Ritx, thanks for the warnings! Yes, I had this virus infect my computer last month. I got it from a supposedly opening a file for a new 'codec' for Divx movie player. Something I won't do again! I used the help files from geekstogo dot com. It took me about 12 hours over 3 days to finally get rid of all traces. Antivirus XP 2008 placed some 60+ infected files onto my hard drive! Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware seemed to do the final cleansing. I also used Spyware Doctor, AVG Anti-spyware, and Stopzilla. I was just using Windows XP anti-virus software, but now I am using Spyware Doctor instead. I've used Panda also in the past, and they're good also. Good luck!
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
Thanks for that, I thought I had got rid of it, but I keep getting popups from AVG telling me its has found a threat, so I try to Vault it but it comes back with an error. I will try Malwarebytes', hopefully it will finally clean it up. Hate this, Ive had viruses before, but this one is particularly troublesome.
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
Thank you celticrogue, that was excellent advice, and even though I had already Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, following this did the final clean up. I hadn't thought to look further. Great advice.
Thank you, Ritz, for awarding me best response! I am glad that you have been able to get rid of the virus and hopefully of all your problems associated with it. Been there, done that. Happy to have been able to help! Have a great day!
@fifileigh (3619)
i hope i dont have it or wont get it. i have mcafee and norton. as well as lavasoft..i hope they r catching everything.
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
Thanks for the response fifileigh, but please be careful about running two antivirus utilities at the same time. If mcafee and norton are both antivirus, you really need to chose the one you favour and uninstall the other. You see they will battle for control over the system, this can cause instability and result in false reports of viruses or in some being missed altogether. Take a look at securitycadets dot com. Read some of the threads about antivirus software, they really know what they are talking about, they have fixed my machine before and are doing it again this time. Good luck and take care.
@fifileigh (3619)
oh ok...
@joyadalia (1409)
Thanks for the warning. I don't really read emails that come from people I do not know. This serves as a warning for everyone. Good job.
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
It certainly serves as a warning to me, I wont be so stupid in the future, I'm just too trusting and I always get caught out. Thanks for your response
@vijbas (369)
i use ESET nod 32 . this one updates daily of new attacks and when some virus happens to come fm net it automatically deletes it . further if a new virus file is found and it can't delete it u can submit the file for analysis so that they 'll quickly update for that virus try using it
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
Thanks for that, I have downloaded it and am trying it out, we will see how it goes, it looks interesting.
Oh Thaks a lot . I just now after seeing this discuusion went to check my mail and i saw the CNN thing and as soon as i saw that i deleted it . Sorry for what happenned to you . I hope it will be normal very soon . Thank You!
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
Thanks for responding, I am only pleased I was able to prevent someone else going through the same as I am now. Keep your eyes open ye? Well done for deleting it in time.
@jsmith12 (438)
NEVER open a email from a news site, especially if you don't know the sender, or you are not subscribed to the news site's email list. Because it will be 100% spam or virus attack. This seems to be a popular way for spammers to spread virus attacks. I checked my gmail spam box today, which I do every few weeks, and I had over 30 of these. In two weeks. Sites that were included in these spam mails were: CNN Yahoo ABC Topics included: The Olympics The War in Iraq Top News stories Bottom line, if you don't trust the email, go to the news site it's supposedly from, and look it up.
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
VERY good advice jsmith12, I have learned my lesson well, thankfully I caught it straight away and no lasting damage was caused. Take heed all, what this man says is true! Thanks for responding.
• Croatia (Hrvatska)
thanks for the info ... hoping to not see this mail in my inbox :P
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
Thank you for your response, I hope you dont either, but if you do, delete it straight away!
@venkygec (783)
Hey! Thanks for your information... Will not open that email... I use ESET Nod 32 Antivrus Business Edition... And get rid of most of the viruses... It has realtime scanning features... It scans very fast... Try NOD32.. And i guarantee you wont uninstall it...
@Ritz100 (1119)
• Spain
Thanks for that venkygec, I have to get another virus scanner and I think I may try that one, I have been using Comodo but it has obviously let me down this time.
@myklj999 (18416)
I've been real lucky, because I run naked on the internet all the time. No anti-virus, no firewall...zip. I never open email unless it's from family though, so I don't worry about it alot, and I only visit maybe 6 websites, all fairly secure. I'll probably get hit hard someday, but 'til then...