Let's Burn Down The Church

By JJ
@myklj999 (15181)
The infamous Westboro Baptist Church was damaged this past Saturday by a fire. http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/731280.html At first, I was cheering. This place has no right to associate itself whatsoever with Christianity as I have always understood it. BUT...this was an illegal act. As much as I detest this Church and what they preach, I must agree they have a right to say what they believe, even though it goes against everything I have come to believe is right. What is your opinion of the Westboro Baptist Church?
So Westboro Baptist Church and Fred Phelps are against homosexuality. I may not be reading and knowing every activity that this group has but it sounds like they have a belief and like every religion, they take a firm stand on their belief. I guess they've hurt other people's feelings with their doctrines but I never heard them burning a homosexual, have they? I'm not taking any side her, Westboro Baptist Church is definitely not my problem, it's a free country, they can believe anything they want, but they mustn't physically hurt other people. (As far as I know they didn't physically assault anybody right? Or I maybe wrong) If homosexuals wants to sue this church for defamation and libel, they're free to do so as well right? This is democracy. However, burning other people's property is never part of democracy. I think they should have just respected other's property. Oh well, others may be right, maybe they did it themselves, on purpose. But what the heck! We'll never know!
Of course! They did those things as well. That's disgusting alright and a very disrespectful thing to do.. Hi cyntrow, I assure you I'm a human being, not an ounce less (*wink), I'm a very sympathetic person, it's not right that everybody's got their share of pain and grief here... Hmmm, maybe except for Phelps because we can never be sure if the burning was on purpose... Oh gosh! I cannot be in the middle of this! I don't even know those Westboro Baptist Church people! (*wink)
@cyntrow (8524)
It's cool maple. It's just that you reply was devoid of any feeling. makes a person wonder. Any person who is human would feel something about this. I think you might be trying too hard to be neutral.
Yup, I'm always a neutral person, I don't take sides, not even when myself is concerned, nice of you to notice that, hehehe... But well, I certainly know how to hide my anger as well, if you know what I mean. Regards and God bless!
• Regina, Saskatchewan
My opinion? It burns the big one! Wait! No it doesn't. Obama wasn't in it at the time! Damn! Life just sucks sometimes you know?*sigh*
@myklj999 (15181)
If you insist on bringing politics into this, I'm gonna have to turn you over my knee and spank the sparks outta ya!
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Which answer segues perfectly into my own response on your PETA discussion! ROLF
@Rosekitty (19441)
• San Marcos, Texas
Did I hear someone getting spanked?..I'm next!..lol
@jerzgirl (8015)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Westboro Baptist is an embarrassment to the Christian community - even more than some televangelists! Actually, I think some of the latter are actually Christians, even if they misapply what they believe. I do not in any way believe that Westboro is a Christian church and hate that someone might mistakenly think that the Baptist denomination I belong to is in any way affiliated with them. While they deserve to be burnt to the ground, no one has the right to do such a thing either. Perfect karma would have lightning set them ablaze!!! Ahhhhh - God's justice!!!
@jerzgirl (8015)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Thank you, Mykl.
@myklj999 (15181)
Well, being as you are Baptist and this group is slandering your denomination with their antics, I felt it only fitting to give it to you. Plus, the lightning and God's justice; that would be perfect.
@jerzgirl (8015)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
LOL Yeah, maybe. My particular Baptist (ABC) affiliation leans more left than the majority. These guys are so far right they've become unmeasurable. But, wouldn't that be great? Lightning or one MONSTROUS tornado that somehow only manages to hit their church (while avoiding the trailer parks usually on their diets). That would be simply "sweet!"
I agree, as a Christian. Burning down their chruch does nothing to solve the problem that stems in their minds. They will just rebuild and have more hate in their hearts. If a church of Satan were to start next to my house, I may move away but I would not protest it or try to shut it down as long as they are not hurting other people or trying to tell me I have to believe the same way they do.
Oh, I had the Westburo church mixed up with Rev. Wrongo's Trinity church. In that case, I say let it burn. Those people are the lowest of the low if you ask me.
Good point. You are so right, I do believe my God has the power. I do believe I can do what Jesus could do and more. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". "Fear no Evil" I guess I'll have to change that to say that I would pray them away. Hey, Mike, myLot God, please change that for me will ya?
@myklj999 (15181)
It has been decreed by myself that the official answer of WhatsHerName shall now read as follows: [b]I agree, as a Christian. Burning down their church does nothing to solve the problem that stems in their minds. They will just rebuild and have more hate in their hearts. If a church of Satan were to start next to my house, I would pray them away.[/b]
@pitstop (6255)
Can someone enlighten me as to why this church is "infamous". I've never heard of it before.
@cyntrow (8524)
They probably set the fire themselves. They haven't gotten much press lately. Freddy needs to have something more sinsiter to blame gay people for. Having said that, yes, I agree that he has the right to say what he feels. If I deny him the right to be an as$hole, I don't have the right to tell him that he's an as$hole.
@II2aTee (2560)
Absolutyly. All that was damaged was a fance and part of a garage. If anyone outside the church wanted to burn it I think they would have set another building on fire... one that was of more consequence.
@cyntrow (8524)
Exactly. If someone else set the fire it would have been burned to the ground.
@myklj999 (15181)
I considered that angle when I read the story, and think that it is probably pretty much what happened.
@Wolfechu (1193)
I'm not cheering. It's still standing, isn't it? I'm not Christian. Couldn't give a toss generally if churches burned or not. But Phelps is doing no-one any good, either his parishioners, individuals, or society in general. I'd certainly be happier if he were wiped from the face of the Earth.
@II2aTee (2560)
I think I'm in love. Lets get married. Maybe Freddy boy can perform the cermony for us :p
@myklj999 (15181)
I would as soon see Phelps and his crew torn to shreds and scattered to the four winds; but that whole "freedom of speech" thing tells me he is allowed to say what he wants, although when words begin to incite hatred, I'm not really considerate of someone's rights. We all have a right to speak our opinions, but there are civilized ways to do this.
@novataylor (6572)
Yes, they have a right to say what they believe. But I'm glad their church burned down. The problem is, they'll rebuild. It won't stop them. Nothing will. People like that will always be here, as they've always been here. We just have to continue what we're doing, and speak the truth to counter their untruths. We have to live as we're living, doing right by our fellow humans, being the best we can be, generous, loving, and kind. We can't let them change the way we are. The people who burned their church down? I can't speak for them, that's for sure. But I can speak for myself. And I say, live and let live. Yet, I still am glad that their church burned down. A cunundrum. But the people of Westboro Baptist Church were vicious people. Live by the sword, die by the sword? I dunno, mykl. The fire was a waste. It won't change a thing. It'll get 'em a new church. Probably a bigger one, holding more people like that, more people to listen to that garbage that they spout,more people to spread hate and horrid lies. It's shameful. That's my opinion of the Westboro Baptist Church. Shameful.
@myklj999 (15181)
I was getting ready to send you a message and ask if you were okay. I was gone all day Saturday and then Sunday my computer was giving me fits 'til about 5 pm it finally let me log in. Glad to see ya hon.
@cyntrow (8524)
Unfortunately the church did NOT burn down; leaving me to believe that freddy did his own damage and tried to blame it on the gays. Gays are responsible for everything in his pea brain, you know.
@SusanLee (1920)
I'm not familar with this church. What have they done, or teach that it warrents being burned?
i think youtube has some of his sermons on there..
@p1kef1sh (45640)
As a building I think that it serves its purpose well. I always feel a little sadness when a building catches fire. All those memories literally going up in smoke. As for the people that "worshipped" there. Sad, misguided, brainwashed, and blind is how I feel about them. Even here we know who they are and what they do. I saw a documentary about them last year and felt total sorrow that they could have distanced themselves from any kind of coherent and rational connection with Society. Just goes to show what blind faith can do.
@myklj999 (15181)
What bothers me most about this group is they are teaching all this hatred to small children. To my way of thinking, that is a type of child abuse.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
They certainly do teach an unpleasant doctrine. If you teach a child to hate then that has to be a warping of its mind. Yes, abuse is the right word.
@Ravenladyj (22937)
WOW!! WHAT TOOK SO FREAKIN LONG?! Hell I'm surprised its not been blown off the map long before now...with that a$$wipe reverand inside I have ZERO tolerance for that so called church, the rev, the congregation and their sick twisted moo-cow ways...they are the MOST vile as far as I'm concerned....I've actually watched a few documentaries about the church and some that werent about the church completely but had snippets and sections in the doc about the church (interviews etc etc)....they make me want ot just vomit every time I even think about them...nasty sick twisted b.astards..
@cyntrow (8524)
Oh no. If a real person had done it, they would have blown the bas!ard up. Phelpps did this himself so he could blame gay people. Only the garage and a portion of the bush was set on fire. Pulease. I know a number of queer activists. The more agressive would have KILLED his as$ in the church. Not a little brush fire. They would have bomed his sorry butt. But they are smart enough tto not allow him Martyr status. Let the next snake that bites him, kill him.
Not to use their own words but could "God be sending them a message" maybe to stop spreading the hate they are spreading. I could be wrong and it could be someone that they have hurt, or disrespected or who knows what and no tho it is not right, it was a church, it does not hurt my feelings
That you mentioned it, I'm beginning to think that could be so. May be God is indeed telling them something. Whether it was done by somebody intentionally or not, I think that can still be a message coming from God.
It seems like they got what was coming to them, even though I do not condone church buildings being set on fire. Honestly, I do not like churches and religion at all. I have no religion and I am proud of that. I think that religions have done more harm than good.
@myklj999 (15181)
I know many people, myself included, that would agree with that last statement 100%.
E Gad! I lived in the Kansas City area for a few years but I never heard of this church, why?, you ask. Because this type of stuff wouldn't interest me. I'm a christian so unless its about a church advancing the gospel I really don't care what they do. I had to do some research and these guys are a hoot. Nobody takes them serious and everybody parodies them. I know that they protest everything and almost half of them have criminal records to boot. I don't approve of what they do but I can't stop them, I guess somebody got tired of it and thought "How about a little fire scarecrow" to let them know they are not wanted. Good luck compiling a list of suspects, everybody's one. Westboro should drop the name "church" from their charred marque, but they use relgion as a means to do what they want thinking God is clapping his hands at their selfish work. I guess it just goes to show that people like that don't represent my views as a christian either, I'll stay with the church that teaches us to love one another not spit in the faces of those we don't agree with.
i dont believe in vandalism no matter what even if i think its the same whether it be a church or a store but i have no sympathy for this church.. all they spewed were hatred (of course they found loopholes to where they werent breaking laws)
@skinnychick (6907)
I think it's just another case of hate hiding behind Christianity. They are pretty much just crazy.
• Nepal
Since I am hindu I am not sure about christianity. Its too bad that it was on fire . Noone should be happy to burn the church or either temple . God is one but must pray in the language what you know.
@jdyrj777 (6556)
I never heard of this church. But i know Bob Marley had a reason for singing "i feel like bombing a church now that i know the preacher man is lying".
@NrgDfenZ (1810)
• Belgium
Hi there Well I don't think that people have the right to burn down the church.. I mean it is their believe, so let them believe it.. I don't think it should be permitted to try to change someone's believes.. They should just accept that their beliefs are different.. Ha ve a good day...
The Westboro Baptist Church have the bible greatly studied, but misunderstood. They forgot one thing what the Church promotes, love for the unlovely. Actually, I'd been hearing that local Church for the past years and how they dealt emotionally with the ways of the world. And one thing, are the members of that fellowship all uneducated? Or they are just too gullible to believe what their pastors says? Pardon me if I hit somebody here... Just expressing my thoughts..