Who Does Not Pay Their Fair Share?

@gewcew23 (8011)
This statement is used a lot, that the rich in this country do not pay their fair share. Well actually they do pay their fair share and some others do not pay their fair share. That evil riches 1%, which is anyone that makes over $388,806, pays 39.89 percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid. Next is those almost evil 5% which is anyone that makes over $153,542, pays 60.14 percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid. Next is a tenth of the country, which is anyone that makes over $108,904, pays 70.79 percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid. Next is a quarter of the country, which is anyone that makes over $64,702, pays 86.27 percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid. After that you have the top half of America, which is anyone that makes over $31,987 pays 97.01 percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid. The bottom half, which is anyone making under $31,987, pays only 2.99 percentage of Federal Personal Income Tax Paid. This year the Federal government will take in $1.25 trillion just from the Individual income tax. So if my math is correct the top 50% will have the burden to pay 1.125 trillion dollars while the bottom half of this country has the burden of only paying 125 billion dollars. So who is not paying their fair share?
@Destiny007 (5820)
Then you couple that with the fact that the bottom tier that you mentioned is also the one's who want those government handouts that everyone else is paying for. Ain't Socialism grand?
@soooobored (1187)
I very rarely sermonize, so I hope this isn't how it reads (after all, who the heck am I??). But I see a lot of people get up in arms about taxes and socialism and etc, and I just don't get it. Here's why: My view is that we are the United States, a team of sorts. As a team, we are only as strong as our weakest link. I couldn't care less that everyone has luxuries, like a Rolls Royce or a flat screen TV, or whatever. I don't think it's evil for someone to own these things, and maybe one day I will want one, too! But I do care, quite strongly, that everyone has the essentials they need to live; food, shelter; access to healthcare. And that's it, however we get to that point, the end justifies the means for me. And then there are people who believe differently, and that's fine. Maybe I would be one of those people if I fell into a higher income bracket, but I don't (so I guess I won't know for some time). But that doesn't mean I'm looking for handouts, or to not pay my fair share. I make less, and they system isn't designed right now for somebody who makes less money. I want the system to reflect my needs. (As I would assume everyone wants the system to reflect their own). I only really put this out there because I know there is a group that feels that they are "burdened" by the lower social classes, and that's an ugly divide. I just don't get it. So, in conclusion to an incredibly long response: To answer the original question (or to dodge the original question, perhaps) I think "fair share" here is relative.
@WoazMM (38)
The rich aren't paying enough of their fair share in my opinion. They have the money to be able to dish out more and still make more than the average joe. A person making less than someone shouldn't be paying more percentage wise. The rich is thriving, why don't they give a little more back?
@gewcew23 (8011)
Did you read what I wrote, or did you just have an opinion and would not be moved to matter what was put in front of you?
See you make some good points but the rich should pay a lot more. They get more from the government. Think about it. Our country spends 20% of its budget on defense. Everyone benefits off of that but the rich benifit more. They have more to defend. Like insurance principals bigger the house the more you pay. Social Security payments which make up another 20% of the budget are dependant on income. The more you pay in the more you get back after retirement. So I would not say they do not pay there share but it would be nice to see theese major money making corps. not to get so many tax breaks. Big oil manily should pay more.