My Infuriations Continue~~We Are Lied To About Faux Fur

@pyewacket (44036)
As some of my friends here know I started just last night a discussion about how infuriated I was about the fur trade "industry", where animals such as raccoons, cats, dogs and so forth were being skinned alive and the biggest fur trade country was China..I had included a very graphic video that showed a raccoon and dog being skinned alive. I've never been fond of fur to begin with but the idea those poor animals were tortured by being skinned alive was just too aggravating for me to understand the how and why of it. At least kill the animal first for crying out oud and not let it suffer! If you wish to see that discussion it's here: http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/1640578.aspx# But now I'm riled up as I've done some more research about this and it comes under the heading of "faux fur" which is supposed to mean fake fur, in other words NOT real fur...oh yeah? You want to bet? I was really under the naive impression that anything made of "faux fur" was exactly that...fake fur...but now I'm learning what a fallacy this is also...The so-called faux fur more likely comes from cats and dogs...either that or even in real fur garments, the label is false..it might say the fur is raccoon when in reality it's cat or dog fur I went to the Humane Society of the United States website for this "revelation" about "faux fur" and couldn't believe it. And here is a partial listing of stores...most of them high pricey stores and the better well known ones and top designers were also included who either use this so called "faux fur" when it's not fake but real, or the fur is mislabeled and is instead cat/dog fur. This is a shocker for me. Sak's Fifth Avenue Baby Phat Macy's Bloomingdales Lord & Taylor Tommy Hilfinger DKNY Bergdorf Goodman Neiman Marcus Calvin Klein Burberry Andrew Marc as I said this is just a partial listing. So are you as surprised as I am to learn that we can't even trust leading stores or designers, thinking that if we're getting clothes with faux fur when the reality is, is that it's REAL fur and most likely from cats or dogs? The HSUS has a bunch of videos that reveals about this here. The saddest one is the Dog and Cat Fur video. This link leads you to the general page though about the false advertising of faux fur. http://video.hsus.org/?fr_chl=13fb64b467dae0cb41259e434020a731b3c9ef06&rf=sitemap First of I thought something like this was false advertising...To claim something is a fake fur when it's not. Shouldn't then such stores and/or designers be sued for this? For those of us who are indeed conscientious and DON'T want to buy real fur aren't we then being deceived if we buy any clothing with a "faux" fur label only to discover that we are instead buying clothing that does have animal fur on it? Finally if you want a voice in protesting about this..here is a petition you can sign up on. While this Enforcement act is one from 2007 it hasn't been passed yet. https://community.hsus.org/campaign/FED_2007_fur_labeling
I thought that this was somewhat common knowledge / old news. It was all over the news years ago when someone who was allergic to real fur ended up in the hospital from her so-called fake fur. I don't know if that would be in some news archive or not, but not only is it a lie that it's completely artificial. It can be dangerous for someone with extreme allergies. I wonder what Chuck Schumer would say to that - if the practice is still being continued, & it's really not completely artificial fur.
Well, if you want to get someone on them, here's a place to go to: http://schumer.senate.gov/SchumerWebsite/contact/contact.html He's even got a New York City office to call that you might want to hop on a subway (I think it's already a subway & not on bridges until east of you in Flushing.) OK - why am I thinking the F train? (Whoever is reading this, get your minds out of the gutter or I'm charging you rent. Many trains are labeled with letters of the alphabet.)
Oopsie - I forgot to address another point. I remember it being on television. Oh - yeah - the F Train is a Manhattan line, but it might not get you to where you want to go. It's been a while since I've braved the NYCT system.
From what I understand, Chuck Schumer does stand up for what is right. If you mention about the allergy siuation as a health issue, it would get him more likely to do something. As for the change in the subway lines, things probably did change. If the F Train went anywhere near the WTC area, it probably got dropped, because the towers collapsing did end up causing either a collapse of a subway route or did enough damage to that area that they would not want to risk running a train through it. I do remember hearing about that as well.
@fifileigh (3619)
SICK! I'm not into fur to begin with, but i refuse to wear my dog or cat...maybe we should just ban wearing any fur nowadays, whether faux or real. and lets see how much the sell or who they r selling it too.
@pyewacket (44036)
Unfortunately as long as their is a "demand" for fur this gruesome practice will continue...I was reading elsewhere that the fur trade is on the rise since the demand is so high
@fifileigh (3619)
demand from where...hookers and strippers, or rich people into fur...i live in california, i dont see too much fur coats. when i am in a mall, i make comments to sales clerks about fur merchandise, asking them, "what animal did they kill to do this garment?" like these morons would know anyway..i just indirectly and subtly comment my disdain for it here and there, maybe they will eventually get the message and not sell it.
@pyewacket (44036)
Well you say you live on calif and don't see much in the line of furs...I'm here in the NYC area....women wear fur coats to "events" like going to concerts, ballets, opera, or even going to the supermarket! Since I'm here in the NYC area Sak's, Lord &Taylor's and Bloomingdale's are here where the fur coats are sold I actually emailed Bloomingdale's and Sak's...with my comments about selling fur...their reply? They understand that people like me in how I feel about fur wearing apparel but they have to "satisfy" their clientele that prefers buying clothing that has fur. Also, I did a search of which leading designers use fur in their clothing...the list is staggering..over 400 designers including Bill Blass, Givenchy, Gucci, Dior, Vera Wang and on and on. Only a handful of designers do NOT use fur..only maybe twenty..otherwise every single leading fashion designer you can think of sanctions fur usage--disgusting, no?
@littleowl (7157)
Hi Pye-that is totally disgusting cruel and inhumane...but thanks for once again opening our eyes to what is really happening to our dearly loved animals-the whole thing maddens me and makes me feel sick bb littleowl
@pyewacket (44036)
I'm thinking of writing a really detailed article about this and submit to AC...the more people realize how they are being lied to about the so-called fake fur the better--it's so wrong especially for people who think they are buying fake fur when it's real instead
@littleowl (7157)
Hi Pye I dared to watch the video and from the beginning to half way through burst into teaars and had mixed emotions of the cruelty and mutilation they were doing to our beloved animals..I fwlt the pain and anguish it hurt so much and brings a whole new light as to what I buy in future for clothing as it is I very very rarely eat meat but never have much then now it makes me feel sick to the stomach and dont think I will eat it again-all day and I think for a long while now I will feel upset and sad how cruel mah is for there selfish reasons --you have all of my support in writing to the AC very strongly about this and I will sownload this video and send it to all I know so they can se and feel even question themselves as to what is happening to what they wear--brightest blessings littleowl
@pyewacket (44036)
Yes the videos haunt me like you can't believe...I keep seeing that face of the raccoon dog after the man hits its head on the ground to stun it...and don't ask the image I still see later on of the still alive animal after it was skinned alive....and keep seeing the images of the dogs and cats in the other videos. I just wish so many more people would see them...ESPECIALLY people who still insist on wearing fur! Like don't these people realize the suffering the animals endure for their vanity?
Hi pye, That is very so disgusting is giving me nightmares, why can't the goverments do something about put a bann on these countries killing animals for vanity, we are just a voice in the wildeness and is making so angry and smeone was just telling me from Mylot that this one country kill dogs to eat and its their culture, its so sickening these evil people I detest them. Bright Blessings Tamara
Because you put both in the same sentence I would have to assume you think eating dogs in other countries is comparable to the vanities of the fur trade and I would have to differ with you on this one. Some countries it is a means of food and the animals live a life with these people the same way you would have farm animals but in other countries the measures are so desperate that a market for human meat has been able to thrive because people are in such a need to eat because they are being denied these basic rights. I do not think these people are evil for that. But when people eat something to the point of extinction (like the US) that is greed, if cows were wild you can be sure they would of been extinct a long time ago much like Buffalo.
@pyewacket (44036)
While yes revellanotvanella many countries do as a habit eat dogs and think nothing of it, just as we might not think anything of it eating cows or chickens, unfortunately many of the dogs that are killed for the dog meat market are often people's pets that were stolen as there is such a big market for dog meat...I saw this in a HSUS video some time back as well...that isn't right either. As a bit of history BTW..do you know why the Cheyenne were called Cheyenne by the white settlers? It was a corruption of Chien which is french for dog...as the Cheyenne were dog eaters (the name that they called themselves was quite different...Só'taa'e and the Tsé-tsêhéstâhese) Ah, but no, the Cheyenne don't eat dogs anymore..LOL
Thats really interesting, I was just saying that all people that eat dog meat are not 'evil' and that its just a means of survival
http://www.furisdead.com/photos-fur.asp - photo of a peta poster of a skinned dog sitting in its own blood
Oh god, I saw a video of animals being skinned and I still have trouble not coming to tears thinking about it, the sight of this animal gasping for air after its own fur being torn off and its A CRIME!!! Your right, how low do you have to fall to not even give the poor animals the satisfaction of passing on over torture. Now that your telling me this about faux fur I have been suspicous about this for a long time!! Some things I have went by reaching out to feel and it feels like hair, maybe not chincilla or fox but obviously some other animal and I just didnt know to think except that something was not right. Thank you so much for telling me this and I will definately join the petition. Another thing that really gets me upset is when I see those dumb statues of cats and dogs with real animal fur!! I went to the beach and last saw them but you see them in gift boutiques and I get so upset seeing them, It just makes no sense, if you admire animals enough buy a statue of them then you must care who's fur they ripped off to imitate life.
Thanx Pye!, where do you normally send your letters, I send them to the corporate offices but always fear their getting lost in the shuffle, thats why I like the petitions that the wildlife fund sends me, any suggestions?
@pyewacket (44036)
On most of the websites of these different stores and/or designers they have a contact us link...I guess I could have done snail mail letters, but opted for the emailing ... I already got responses from Bloomingdale's and Saks...basically in a nutshell what they said was that while they understood the position of someone like me about fur and the faux fur, that they have to acommodate their clientele and allow the selling of fur items to customers who wish to buy them. So nix the stores cause won't get any satisfaction...think the best bet would be to hunt down the websites of the fashion designers themselves and see what happens. Some designers have opted to be fur free completely in their clothing. Not many, maybe only twenty or so. I found a listing of designers that still do use fur though...the list is staggering....over 400! Including notables such as Bill Blass, Givenchy, Dior, Vera Wang, etc Here's the listing of designers.. http://www.fur-style.com/en/designers/
@faith210 (11233)
Hi pyewacket! I have been spending less time here and I haven't seen that discussion of yours yet. I think I can't watch the videos because it is really heart breaking to see those animals being skinned. I don't buy garments or accessories with fur for many years now because a friend of mine have told me about this bad practice. I hope more and more people will be aware of this so that no one will ever buy fur garments again. Take care always..God Bless!
@pyewacket (44036)
Believe me it was hard to watch those videos...and don't ask the foul language I was using as while it saddened me to see animals suffer like that it also angered me no end that the human species could inflict such pain to a living creature
@faith210 (11233)
Hi pye! I wouldn't even dare question the foul language as I might be using one of those foul words too if I see people get cruel to animals. I can't understand how people can be so cruel and barbaric too. I guess, there is really something wrong with these people. Take care always..God Bless!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
To be honest Pye, I couldn't look at such a video for it would eat me up to the end of my days BUT that doesn't mean I don't care for I so DO!! D@mn am I mad!! Yes very much so and would never ever ever hurt an animal unless another was in danger or a person was in danger. Heck, I saved a baby squrrill from my cats mouth and found a lady that rehabilitated animals back to the wild. How dare these jackasses decieve us!! That is false advertizement at it's best. Now I won't wear anything with fur on it because it shows support in the fur trade industry and that I will NEVER do and it aggravates the hell out of me to know it's not fake but real makes my skin just crawl!! Tell me please, what can I do to help stop this? I want to be an advocate to animals any way that I can!
@pyewacket (44036)
Well one start would be to sign that petition which I give a link. Also while it may seem rather inane, I wrote out a basic letter...I have it posted under poster #4's reply...I'm writing to those stores and designer companies voicing my opinion--if enough people do something like that and write letters maybe something will be done eventually and hopefully.
@pyewacket (44036)
Here's a link I found of fashion designers who still use fur in their fashion....you'll gag at how many there are http://www.fur-style.com/en/designers/
@Lakota12 (42684)
While I hope this is wrong I do think that they put alot out there that is falsely labeled! and yup they shouldnd to that if it is made of cat or dog they should put it in there . Am sure mine is faux for it came from an cheap store lol never go to those other stores that have designers cloths couldnt afford it.
@pyewacket (44036)
What surprised me was the names of the stores that sell falsely labeled faux fur clothing, like you think they would know better than that
@Lakota12 (42684)
yes very surprizing! Never know what you are buying at those places lookslike
@TessWhite (3147)
Oh Pye, this is horrible. I had no idea. I too won't wear fur, or buy it. I couldn't bring myself to watch the video - I'm too much of an animal lover to see that kind of torture. It would just upset me too much. It makes me wonder about the sweater I got my grandaughter last winter. It had a fake fur collar. Makes me wonder if it really was fake fur?? I swear, now I won't even buy fake fur if this is how its done!
@pyewacket (44036)
The video said one way to tell whether it really is fake fur or not is to detach the "fake fur" from the garment..if there is a cloth material type backing it's fake...if it's attached to the "skin" it's real
@di1159 (1580)
Wow, I had previously responded to your 1st discussion and suggested faux fur as an alternative. I feel terrible now after having read this post. I thought it was a synthetic, man-made product which is what I interpret faux to mean. There must be some legal loophole that allows manufacturers to use this label and mislead the public. As soon as I finish this post, I am on my way to sign your petition and donate some monies as well. Thanks for the research and the wake-up call.
Good day... I would be hypocrite to say that I'm not in favor killing animals for the use of meat and hive, I mean if we need it then we have to kill them for it, there's no other way, that's the food chain bit to keep them alive while getting their fur is plain barbaric. Can they kill them first and give them dignity even if their just beast? Human doing the killing this way is more beastly in nature and that's scary. Very scary.
@pyewacket (44036)
I can see killing animals for food, but to kill animals just for their fur I think is totally wrong...I mean like what do they do with the carcasses anyway? You never hear chinchilla or mink meat being sold
Hi pye, I am so very disgusted with all of this, I'm having mightmares about it all why can't the govements from all countries put a ban on these fur traders fake or not or we the voice in the wilderness? and today on of the Mylotters were say that she was offered roast dog and she refused it and she asked why there are eating it? they told her it was their culture, culture my a**e they are just evil peopel Iam so angry I'm spitting blood and I will never support any country who kills animals for vanity or eating cats and dog, I' sorry that is how I feel, I can't tolrate it. I am srry pye for my ranting but that has really got me going as well. Bright Blessings Tamara
@Vladilyich1 (1454)
Now I'm pissed! Those are all high-end stores, lying to the public. The only thing I have that is real fur is my Ushanka...which is from Mouton Wool. You don;t kill the sheep to make a wool hat.
@pyewacket (44036)
Yes, it kind of freaked me out to see such posh stores in on the deception ....while it might not do any good, and I might be a one person campaign I'm writing a letter to these places...I have a sample letter of what I wrote included in the poster below you.
@winterose (39918)
I can't stand animal cruelty and I don't have the fake fur hat anymore that I mentioned in the other discussion which said it was a synthetic product,
@pyewacket (44036)
The problem is how does one know that fake fur hat really was fake? As indicated many of the clothing that is labeled as fake fur turns out to be dog/cat fur.
@winterose (39918)
how does one know if anything is what it is supposed to be.
@pyewacket (44036)
As far as trying to find out if fake fur really is fake....it said in the video one way to tell is if one can pull back the "fur" a bit and it's just a bonding material it's fake..if you see the fur attached to "skin" it's real...though don't think the stores would appreciate it if you did that...LOL I guess best way....just not buy anything that even says fake fur.
i can't watch those things-it just makes me want to go on a rampage. but i can sure sign the petition.
@pyewacket (44036)
You should hear the "lovely" language I use when I do watch videos like that...like how dare mankind treat animals like that?
there's some people in the world who think everything in it is free for their use and abuse unfortunetly.which makes me wish for a crocodile to come along and show them how miniscule they are.
@pyewacket (44036)
I was looking just yesterday about the leather/suede trade videos too..don't ask..seems NONE of the leather used for clothing comes from here either and believe me you don't want to know how the cattle are treated
@TheCatLady (4695)
• Israel
I have 13 beautiful real living, breathing, eating, pooping fur coats in my house. They keep me nice and warm in the winter. Unfortunately also in the summer, but I don't mind. I love my fur balls and would never buy anything made of fur. There is no need. Most of us aren't living in Siberia or igloos in Alaska, without heating, where we need the fur to stay warm and alive. I would never wear a fake fur coat. I don't even wear fuzzy furry things unless it was totally obvious, even to the stupidest person, that it's not fur. I don't shop at places that sell fur. I don't just boycott them, I tell the store owner that they won't get any of my business as long as they have anything with fur for sale. I also tell them that I will tell all my friends that they have fur in the shop and not to shop there. I keep bugging them about it, about once a month or so, until they get sick of me. And of course other militant animal lovers go into the shop and tell them the same thing. In a small town you can do this and get results. It becomes more of a bother to sell trinkets labeled as "faux" fur than to be sure they don't buy or sell anything that might even be mistaken for fur. Yup I'm that crazy cat lady.
@pyewacket (44036)
You're lucky that you are in a small town area where you can get away with being the "crazy cat lady"....kind of hard here in NYC area...but it would be great if more and more people boycotted shopping in those ritzy stores like Bloomingdale's, Sak's, etc.....could you imagine how much money they'd be losing then..and maybe only then would they get the hint...I actually did email these stores voicing my concerns and opinions...got pat answers from all basically saying while they understand my viewpoint they have to consider their other clientele that Do prefer buying fur clothing.
• Israel
That's what is great about small towns. People have more power to influence their surroundings.
@sedel1027 (17854)
I never gave much thought to what faux fur was. I always thought it was synthetic. How gross.
@pyewacket (44036)
I always thought it was synthetic too
@bonbon664 (3470)
What?! So, when I'm think I'm doing ok, I'm being duped once again. I have a "faux fur" coat, and I just read the label, and it says 100% polyester, so, I think the only think I killed were a few polyesters. I will be more vigilant in the future, that's for sure. Thanks for the info.
@pyewacket (44036)
LOL--I've been guilty of killing a few polyesters, cottons, rayons, and nylons too..heehee
@Annie2 (594)
Pyewracket, What a heart-wrenching video. I hate the thought of animals being killed for the use of their fur, but it does happen. That, in itself, is bad enough, but why can't they at least swiftly kill the animals first? The misery they must suffer to be skinned alive like that is unimaginable! How the poor creature was still living afterward is beyond me. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I hope enough people will protest in order to make a difference and get stores to stop carrying the "faux fur" products, but I doubt they will discontinue their methods in China.
@pyewacket (44036)
I've been reading up on how the farm/ranch raised animals for fur are killed off....okay so they aren't skinned alive but they are either poisoned or are given anal electrocution...and we're talking about the major farm/ranches that raise animals for fur...Too bad more people just plain don't realize what animals go through for the vanity of fur wearers.