Age and the willingness to learn.

@alokn99 (5717)
We believe in "its never to late to learn". Yet when it comes to practicality, the willingness to learn and utilise diminishes as we grow older. We so often find that people as they age are contended to doing things the way they want , not wanting to adapt to change or wanting to do something new. An example, is my father: He just does not have the willingness to learn how to use a computer. There are various other instances that I have experienced. Have you ? and please share your thoughts on it.
@mimpi1911 (25454)
So, that was your yesterday's stroll upshot!! A very good one and it just came in time when I had a fight with my father over the learning thing as well. My sisters and we kinda chat on internet with the web cam on and I can actually get to see the kids....now my father wants me to set up the whole connection thing for him. Why not he does it himself? But no, he is so antipathetic to learning computers! Previously it was utter derision and rejection but things are getting better and he is getting used to terms like email, website, chat, networking..... I feel, the older generation were much different in the first place. Even in their hay days they used to move around on the same groove, hardly daring any challenges (I am talking about common Indians, here largely). Most were govt. servants who would abide by the govt. rules and led a happy, complacent life. And the ppl who worked in private jobs were not that enthusiastic in today's parameters. But today the world has changed so much that its hard even to know what we would be upto the next month! And of course internet has turned our brains topsy turvy like never before. Naturally the older generation finds this hard to cope with. They are better settled with their ideologies anytime. All through their lives they've been through a lot and at this age they do not want to change and learn new things. That's how most feel. Here, however, I would like to share something. My aunt (father's sister) has learnt emailing to chatting to CD writing to networking in merely 1 month. But then she had no choice for both her children are abroad and that's the only way she could stay in touch. In her case, the intense urge to get through her kids was instrumental. Who knows our fathers could have metamorphosed to a gadget guy (laughs...sounds so funny) by compulsion if not by choice!!
@alokn99 (5717)
Actually Mimpi, the upshot of the stroll was something else, it got all muddled up in me trying to get My Dad to get into the basics of the computer. In a few minutes he just switched himself off and went back to watching TV. That was followed by a mild argument. I wonder what it is about father's sometimes ? Your views about the world having changed so much over the last generation is so true and people find it very difficult to change their idealogies. Compulsion does seem to be driving the change. Really gets me wondering if we are also the same and whether we will be able to cope up . As Always, Great response
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Alok, I get your worry. But I believe we have already stepped in the 'age of change'. We are the lucky ones to be in the threshold of both the ages - age of change and age of dominant, unwavering ideologies. I feel both are important. But since we have, by now, stepped in the charm of the changing era its unlikely to be apathetic to changes. We know that even as we speak new things are being updated and added. And that's the way it would be until the end. So, dear, we mustn't frown at all.
@alokn99 (5717)
I guess we are lucky, we have seen and experienced so much in so short a time. No frowning. It would feel good though to get the older generation to accept and be a little more part of this change. Thanks again, Mimpi.
@dpk262006 (56170)
It is true to some extent that as one gets older, he/she loses interest in learning new things. Your father must be an old man, who would have lived his life to the fullest. If he is learn willing to learn computer, then I think it is difficult to make his understand the utility of learning a computer. I feel, after certain age or point of time, desires and wishes die down and one withdraws from the happenings. I also face somewhat same situation in case of my own father. If he does not heed to my advcie, I give up.........LOL! I am always too willing to learn any new thing or art in my life, provided I've a support system and the requisite encouragement to do the same. I believe, I am a learner and need to learn, as and when an opportunity arises. I do not mind learning even from younger generation.
@dpk262006 (56170)
pl. read.......in the second line...if he is not willing to learn.....
@alokn99 (5717)
Very true dpk, It's a good thing that we are atlest a little more adaptable to the process of change, maybe because we have been compelled into it. Thanks a ton.
@dpk262006 (56170)
You are always welcome! (LOL! tumhari discussion ka response deney k liyay bahut soochna padta hai........, but it is always enjoyable to apply my mind for serious discussions)
@icegermany (2524)
i think till some extent u r right. when i use to study at that time i was like concentrating only on my studies n just want reach my goal n also prfered to have some excitement in between like going out with friends have fun, watch movies n allthose but now i m married n have a little son. n i feel that my responsilbilities r increased n cant concentrate on anything else n just lose interest to learn anything new. now we had come to germany n here the language is a big barrier n i thought let me learn with an effort i joined the classes but hardly i find time to go n coz the breaks in between n a slow motion studies bore me a lot n i get disappointed so now i m just feeling like taking a long break from the classes which i dont want to do but i feel helpless as i have so many other resposibilities n i m not able to concentrate. i think as we get older responsibilities increasesn we feel to reduce it down n dont feel like participating in other new activities or anything else.
@alokn99 (5717)
That is a good example you have given my friend, your difficulty and somewhat reluctance to learn a new language. Appreciate it, Thanks
thank you
@alokn99 (5717)
You are welcome .
@James72 (26829)
As we get older we certainly start to become set in our ways when it comes to certain things. And not everything that has an attraction to one person will be seen the same way by another..... Regardless of whether we are aware of it or not, we are learning new things every single minute of every single day! The thing is, when we have dne certain things throughout our lives and it works fine for us; why would we always be so open to changing our patterns? In relation to your Father, if it is really important for you to have him at least try to use a computer; then the key is to assimilate the use of a computer with another area of his interest. For example, if he is into soccer or some other sport, show him the wealth of information he can find on it on the internet! Familiarity will always put people at ease when taking on new things.....
@alokn99 (5717)
James, What you say also brings to me another point, is there a particular age at when this becomes more obvious ? I've tried the familiarity part of it,does nto seem to work. Will keep trying. I'm sure I'll turn him around. Thanks for the wonderful response.
@pkc3000 (1268)
Hello alokn99 To some extent you are right. It is true that there is no age bar to learn anything in our life. Elder people are very much reluctant to learn a new thing and their plea is that they are on the verge of retirement or end of life what will be the use of learning at this stage. But there are so many people who at the age of 60 or 70 trying for world record or limca books of records and they are learning new things in their respective field of interest. In my life I have seen one perons who at the age of 50 plus taken admission into the music institution to become a singer and after 3 to 4 yrs he really become a singer after passing requisite music exam. Willingness is the main factor. pkc3000
@alokn99 (5717)
Thanks for your wonderful views. Really appreciate it
@ketybhagat (4125)
It depends from person to person though what you say is true. However there are people who go to college to complete studies even when they have crossed 50. It is basically the yen for learning which counts though as you say, it grows less and less as the years pass.
@alokn99 (5717)
It does depend from person to person as you say, but it would mean a lot if more people made the effort to learn as the years go by. Thanks and have a great day.
@dropofrain (1168)
Ya I have seen two kinds of people, one who are always willing to learn and other resistant towards it. Some of my relatives aged 60 are willing to learn whatever new comes to them. While some are so resistant that they do the work the similar way. They are not ready to change them. Even my mom is not willing to learn computers though we have tried hard.
@alokn99 (5717)
It is difficult to get them to change. However we need to keep trying. I am. Thanks
@Munchkin547 (2778)
I think as people get older they perhaps don't learn as well because maybe their memory might decrease slightly or they may not have the time because of other responsibilities like having a family of their own etc. I went back to education after leaving school for several years and didn't really find it any more difficult to learn and managed to get really good grades (not sure how, the exam marker must ahve had a hangover! lol) so i think it may also be about how much you want to learn, i really wanted to learn to pass my exams to get into university, but then i guess that if people are trying to learn something that they are not very interested in or do not want that much perhaps they won't do so well! happy mylotting! xxx
@alokn99 (5717)
Under normal circumstances, I would think the memory capacity of the brain diminishes because we tend to use it less over age.It's great to know you got good grades after a long break. It only shows that if you are determined age can be really a question of mind over matter. Really appreciate your response
@bamakelly (5194)
I do agree that the older generation is a little more reluctant to learn the new technology of today. Some people just don't like change I guess. I am forty and I still enjoy learning. I am hoping to one day return to school. I might want to go to college one day.
@alokn99 (5717)
That is really great. I do wish you all success in your wanting to return to school. Thanks and have a great day.
@subha12 (18453)
its true actually. i have seen in general case the willingness to learn decreases when the person gets older. but there are exception also. few old peopel learn nw things with enthuasism.
@alokn99 (5717)
There are exceptions no doubt, and I have seen a few as well Thanks
@intimate36 (1416)
• Pakistan
that is generation gap...now a days you can see females joining college after having kids.. So, generation next will not hesitate in adapting a change.. This is my opinion..your comments?
@alokn99 (5717)
Let's hope that generation next does, atleast they have the advantage of being subject to rapid change . Thanks
@valeria1 (2724)
That is true for some people but I also know many people who are always learning something new and willing to change their lives.
@alokn99 (5717)
No doubt, there are people who do. Thanks
Its exactly correct what you said. Age is no bar for learning. If one has the eagerness to learn,they can learn whatever may be the age or time.
@alokn99 (5717)
The eagerness does seem to be lacking. Thanks
@zhaosonghan (1039)
People don't like changeing and accepting new as their age grow,it's human nature,most of people like this,maybe when you have a old age you will do like that. Actually everyone knows willingness to learn is very good,but it's academic...
@alokn99 (5717)
HaHa, you may be right, I too may be exactly like that as I grow older, maybe I already am ? Thanks and have a great day.