when sauteeing what do you sautee first?

Do you put the garlic or onion first? Before i always pt garlic first but i have watched in a cooking show before that garlic is much faster to get cooked and when followed by the onion the garlic will already turn black but the onion is not yet cooked..so what do you put in first?
@brimia (6584)
Yep, I learned the hard way that garlic easily burns and turns very hard if overcooked. I always put the onions in first because they take awhile to soften and brown.
@lilybug (21148)
I always put the garlic and the onion in together. I have never had a problem with it getting over done or turning black.
@dhangski (3194)
I do the usual thing when sauteeing. I would put the garlic first then the onions. I guess it really depends on the one who is going to eat. My family would like the onions to be half cooked. So I don't overcooked it.
@ANTIQUELADY (36488)
i usually do them at the same time, saves time & i think onions take a little longer, i sautee in better & if you let it get too hot itwill turn all of it too dark. when i am sautee onions & celery for dressing i do it in the microwave w/butter. then when i pour it in my dressing & cook it it's always done. i don't like it crispy in my dressing.
@patzel88 (3311)
i always sautee first the garlic and when it turns golden brown i put the onion.that is my usual cooking.
I am no cooking expert by any means but I usually sautee the garlic and onions together at the same time. I have never really had any instances where the garlic turns black. They both seem to cook up pretty evenly. I usually cook the both of them together when I'm making a risotto dish and it is oh so yummy! And I love the smell as well that the combination gives off.
@magojordan (3254)
I used to put in the garlic first but after seeing chefs put the onion first I did the same too. Doing this made the dishes taste better because the garlic doesn't overpower the dish. Also it helps me avoid getting the garlic burned because once garlic gets burned it will make the whole dish bitter and it is better that you start all over again.
hahaha yeah..^_^ i used to do the same thing as you putting garlic first but i saw it is much better and tastier to put onions first..^_^
@kleynie (129)
i do the onion first..oil from onion tends to give the food more savour than in the same old way of garlic-onion..just another thought
@secretbear (19464)
i never noticed that. when i sautee, i always put the garlic first. and then after a few seconds, when the garlic is a little brown on the sides, i will put the onion. i think it depends on the cook's preference, if he wants the garlic to be brown or thoroughly cooked, or a little white and slightly cooked, or whatever. for me, i like the garlic and onion to be slightly cooked.
@kun2349 (23475)
GArlic.. hehe ^_^ Because i like garlic more than onion, and so i dun put onion at all.. lol =D PLus, garlic smells and tastes nicer than onion ^_^
@zeny_zion (1284)
in sauteing first you have to put garlic then onion and tomatoe. after you sauted everything put whatever you want to cook. vegetables or pork with sauce.
@neildc (17253)
• Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines
ever since i learned to cook, it is always garlic that comes in first before the onions. of course we know that anything that subdued to hot oil for so long will get burn, so either of the two can be sauteed first. but the if you don't want garlic to be over-cooked, you can put it out of the pan before putting in the onions. or you can just put onions together with the garlic. i hope that will help. (neildc @ red/88/1537)
@misty99 (736)
I do the traditional way of sauteeing----garlic first then onion.It depends on what to cook,before garlic turns golden brown i add the onion.If i'm cooking tinola it's the onion first then garlic-under low heat--it makes the soup clear.My husband doesn't want brownish tinola soupOne thing is sure,the heat has to be low or medium so as not to burn both the garlic and onion
@salonga (27957)
The rule is that it should always be the garlic. But don't let it go brown before adding the onion. Once you smell the aroma of the garlic add the onion. The immediately follow the rest of the ingredients.
@redkathy (3375)
Always onions first. It is true the garlic will cook faster. I like my garlic diced so that makes it cook even faster still.