Freecycle

With everyone suddenly environmentally concious there is so many ways people are starting to try to save the Earth. I am a member of a local site that is called freecycling. Basically, what it is, is people go on there and post what they have to give away or things they want. If someone has something or wants something that matches they give it to them. That way it keeps the stuff from going in the garbage. Has anyone else tried similar sites?
@Wizzywig (7860)
We have that scheme in our area too. We joined it but have not been particularly active tho we do browse it fairly regularly. We had a rabbit hutch which we no longer had any use for and passed that on to a couple who needed one. It cleared a space in our garage as well as providing a bunny with a warm safe home
That is awesome. We have only been on the site a few weeks but enjoy it very much. We have small children and swapping clothes for them is always great. They outgrow things so fast its crazy. Also, things like baby toys or cribs go quickly too. I have also recieved clothes for myself. Since I have had my baby nothing fits me right now. I think it is a great idea.
@Uroborus (910)
The 'freecycle' site you mention sounds like a great idea. There is no similar site near me, but there are other things one can do with things that are no longer needed. There are many charities that will accept items for donation, and some will even come to your house to pick up the itmes. A local one to me that does that is a Diabetes Society. But there are others. They resell the items for a very low cost (garage sale prices). You get rid of your items without creating more trash and you also help a local charity raise some money. At times I have also just put things I don't want out on the curb with a sign that says "FREE". This is a low-tech, older version of the website you mention. Often the item dissapears by the end of the day.
Yes, we are one of those that pick up stuff by the road. Actually, we do it quite often. In fact, yesterday my husband and Father in law picked up a twin size mattress and boxsprings set by the road. We love that freecycle site though.