What's your favorite kind of coffee and why?

What's your favorite kind of coffee and why? Do you prefer to make it at home, or do you go to chains like Starbucks? Have you ever tried the Gevalia offer online?
@owlwings (37693)
• Cambridge, England
My current favourite is Monsooned Malabar. It has a very distinctive spicy flavour and low acidity. Its discovery was really an accident. In the days before the Suez canal, ships used to have to make a very long journey from India round the Cape of Good Hope (the tip of Africa) and on the way some of the cargo of coffee beans was exposed to the rain, wind and sea in such a way that it was yellowed and swollen - spoiled, in other words! Someone, however, had the idea of roasting it and trying it and found that it had a very unique flavour. Now that coffee takes a shorter route from India to Europe (and is shipped in sealed containers not open to the elements) another way is used to impart this distinctive taste. The beans are exposed in warehouses and on open patios to the damp monsoon winds and, of course, are regularly tended so that the yellowing and ageing process is uniform. Monsooned Malabar is not an easy coffee to find. There are only two supermarkets in the UK that offer it - Waitrose and Sainsbury's. There are one or two online coffee suppliers that stock it but it is not a common variety and nor is it easy to get a good quality supply that has been expertly roasted. Once you have tried a really good coffee, you will never again consider paying the exalted prices that Starbucks and other coffee chains charge! Why should you when you can have a far better and more relaxing (and cheaper) coffee at home!
Hi owlwings! I haven't tried Monsooned Malabar, yet. But you got me interested with the history and story behind it! I never knew so much went into making and preparing this kind of coffee. Reminds me of the movie Bucket List with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicolson, because at the end of the movie, Freeman does some research to find out how Nicholson's prized coffee is made! Hold on, this is hilarious (and I wonder if any cofee is really made this way). Supposedly the coffee beans were consumed by some animals, the then excreted. Then the coffee is made from that! I don't know about that! But it was funny when Nicholson found out! The expression on his face was priceless! Hehe.
@owlwings (37693)
• Cambridge, England
Yes indeed! There is a very special (and expensive) kind of coffee made from the beans extracted from the droppings of certain wild animals - apparently related to the skunk and the civet - which eat the berries from the coffee bushes. It's called Kopi Luwak. Luwak is the Indonesian name of the animal and 'kopi' means 'coffee'. It is hard to keep a straight face when talking about such things, let alone when drinking the product [lol] I got most of my info from here: http://www.lifeaftercoffee.com/2005/09/16/the-straight-poop-on-kopi-luwak-coffee/ (though I already knew about the variety). Since the article was written, some of the links in it no longer appear to supply this variety - I can imagine that it is not in any way a commercially viable product, anyway. More of a speciality! I seem to recall my brother-in-law (who was an agricultural advisor in Malawi) telling me of a similar thing with wild dogs in Kenya but now I am wondering whether my source (or memory) is accurate.
@owlwings (37693)
• Cambridge, England
If you want to know more about the way coffee is grown and made (including probably more than you would ever need to know about roasting), I can recommend this site: http://sweetmarias.com/coffee.asia.india.html
@guybrush (4662)
My favourite coffee is Vittoria - I buy either the beans or the ground, and make it at home in an espresso machine. It's the treat I look forward to when I wake up every morning! If I'm out and about, I choose iced coffee drinks - always a Voltage from Gloria Jean's - which is an espresso shot poured over some sort of ice base. Delish!
Hi guybrush! Vittora? Just the name got my attention alone. Can you share what this coffee tastes like? Is it spicey, sweet, or good black?
@guybrush (4662)
Well, Vittoria is 100% arabica, and comes in quite a few different blends. I usually buy the Espresso, as I have black coffee with a thick crema on top - but I sometimes buy the cappuccino blend for a bit of a change. It's a lovely coffee - rich and smooth and not bitter at all. My husband has white with two sugars, and seems pretty happy with the flavour! (I just looked on the packet and it says 'Roasted, blended and packaged in Australia from imported raw coffees' - but it doesn't say where the raw coffees come from.)
My favorite coffee is a light mocha frappuccino from Starbucks. I tried making my own frappuccino at home but it's just not the same. Yesterday I tried making a cold coffee drink to save money and it turned out to be pretty good. I've never tried the Gevalia offer but I've heard of it.
Hi princessdian (like the screen name by the way!) The Gevalia offer is pretty sweet, for a coffee lover can acquire 2 of their favorite coffee flavors, a stainless steel programmable coffee maker, and a carafe, and a scoop. The programmable coffee maker is better than the ones found at Walmart, and cheaper, too. Check it out, if you want, http://www.gevalia.com/Gevalia/ After I received the offer in my mail, I went ahead and ordered 4 more kinds of coffee. I got the irish cream, the mocha, the french vanilla, and the hazelnut! I haven't ran out of coffee since! When returned to Northern Illinois University to finish my degree, my friends and I would go to the Coffee Corner in the Student Center, and order these luscious drinks. My favorite was always the caramel machiatto! I could consume one of these everyday! My sister is funny, for she also loves to go to Starbucks, but then she turns around and calls it the "evil corporate." I just laugh at that! Dunkin Donuts also has a free offer floating around online, too. I bet if you type in the search bar, free coffee or free coffee offers, you would be amazed at the return!
Thanks! That sounds like a really good offer, I'll take a look at it. I would love to try the mocha flavored coffee. I'm in college right now and we have a little coffee cafe on campus so I like to go there sometimes too. It's always been a great place to study.
@philjas (1134)
I like just plain old black coffee. I can make it at home as well as any commerical place can. Although, there is something about RESTAURANT coffee. It's always really good, and I don't mean a fast food places I mean regular restaurants.
Hi philjas! You are right, there is something about restuarant coffee. There is just something about going to a restaurant, sitting down, and having a waitress ask you if you like coffee. Watch out for coffee that's been sitting for awhile though! Yikes! Right now I am drinking Gevalia's Mocha flavored coffee with a little artifical sweetener. I cannot drink it black like you, but I remember my mom likes her coffee this way, too. Growing up in her house, I would sometimes make coffee for her, so she could have it when she wakes up. There is just something about opening an air-tight container to smell the coffee beans! But now she can only have one cup a day and that has to be decaf, because of her high blood pressure.