Are you a good neighbor? Let's see....

@jerzgirl (7721)
Gloucester City, New Jersey
When I first came to myLot, it was to respond to something I had found during an online search - something political. When it said I needed to be a member first, I debated joining. I'd never heard of myLot, didn't know what it was about, didn't want to receive Spam, etc. But, then, as I read, I learned I could also make money by responding to that discussion and others and I was intrigued. Here I was, unemployed, beginning to check for alternative ways to make money while I looked for work and what drops itself in my lap but a way I had never heard of. A place where I could look for discussions and respond according to my own feelings. That "I gotta say what I think" part of me was happy. My purse perked up its straps in anticipation. I felt maybe I had found "the answer". Well, what I found was not a financial 'nirvana', but a community. A global community of readers and writers who, for the most part, genuinely enjoyed getting to know one another, easing one another's burdens when they could, revealing bits and pieces about themselves so we could really get to know them. Oh, I stumbled at first - I didn't really understand the concept of interests (I now know I have far more than I would ever really discuss), didn't know anything about rating, stars, cut-n-paste rules, "trolls" (guess Aesop wasn't the only one to deal with them) and many other privileges, responsibilities and even quirks I needed to know in order to be a good member of the community - to be a good neighbor. Not that I've always succeeded - but... I've also gotten to know (or at least know something about) my neighbors. I know that Grandpa Bob is his father's caregiver and lets us know regularly how his dad is doing. He also loves home gardening and shares with us the fruits of his labors all along the way. Sparkofinsanity - well - I've experienced more small town life through her writings than I've lived in my small town (but, then, I was never fitted for a pair of cement shoes, either!) Then there's Melanie, Pyewacket's mama, who has battled with UPS and tree trimmers and lost, battled with the bank and won , and who recently assembled a captain's bed that Pyewacket immediately claimed as his own. Mooch, who was one of the first personalities I noticed on myLot has had her ups and downs; I do hope she is still around as I learned a lot from her, even if indirectly. AnniePA - she does love a good political debate and isn't afraid to speak her piece. Parated - I think it was one of his discussions I happened upon during my Google search that got me to sign up. Turns out he and I used to live in the same town at the same time and may even have passed each other on the street! Such a small world!! Youless never fails to show how much she loves her country (reminding many that the USA isn't the only country in the world) and who personalized the China earthquake recently for us. Hatley - here's a woman of my mother's generation enjoying this modern technology as much as any of us, putting in her two cents (and receiving that and more in return!) And so many others!! Neighbors and, sometimes, friends. So, my question is: are you a good neighbor here on myLot? Do you actively participate in discussions when you can or do you only read the subject and assume what the topic is about before responding? Do you respond to discussions with a genuine interest in the topic or do you "hit-and-run", leaving only a cursory response just so you can get credit? In other words, is money your only goal here or are you allowing yourself to enjoy the journey through the neighborhood at the same time? Tell me about your myLot adventure. For some of you, I'm betting your answer will reveal quite a bit.
I think we are not neighbours but members of Great Mylot. Here i have some good friends here. We all discuss here the life matters most related to our daily life. After getting number of responses, we got different views from different sides. Thanks
@jerzgirl (7721)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Well, I consider us to be a global community with each of us being a neighbor of one way or another to the other members. Just because we're online and not seen physically doesn't mean we can treat others any differently than we'd treat those we live near, so I like equating it to a neighborhood of sorts. Our physical neighbors don't have the same visions or beliefs as we do, yet we still live near them without going to battle with them. (Or most of us do - there's always someone out there who probably ought to have their own desert island with them being the only inhabitant.) Thanks for your response, though, ajesh! It is equally important to hear from each person!
@Opal26 (17694)
Hi jerzgirl, What a beautifully written discussion. I can tell that you are a great neighbor! I try to be a good neighbor. I also found mylot by accident. I was checking something out on scam.com and followed a link that led me here and I never left! I have made some great friends and enjoyed some wonderful discussions and love being a part of the mylot neighborhood. I haven't missed a day yet since I started about 7 weeks ago. I look forward to being here everyday to see what my friends are up to all over the globe. This is such a great place to spend time! I have learned so much from so many different people and it is just such a fun place to share all different kinds of information. I plan on hanging around this neighborhood for a very long time!
@jerzgirl (7721)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Thank you, Opal. Such a nice thing to say. And, you've really been working hard if only 7 weeks in (8 by now). I don't think I hit 1000 until 4 months later! Way to go! Thanks so much for responding, though. Much appreciated!
Well, I dunno yet... I could be a good neighbor, but on second thought I guess I better promise that I'll be a good neighbor, since I'm a newbie around here :)... so need a good neighbor? I'm available hahaha, cheers everyone :)
@jerzgirl (7721)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Absolutely, Agnes! Everyone needs a good neighbor!! And, welcome to the neighborhood!
@lingli_78 (12852)
well, i would think that i am a good neighbour here at mylot... i had known quite a few people here and make friends with them... i never spam or abuse people here and always try to speak nicely with other people here... take care and have a nice day...
@jerzgirl (7721)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Then you are, indeed, a good neighbor! You must be - look how many discussions you have!! You're an EXPERT neighbor! Thanks for responding!!
Good day.. You really know your neighbor. As for me honestly I think I'm not, a god neighbor that is though I try to be. I do answer in my discussions but I find it hard to comment on my responses due to time restraint and well having a dial - up ( yes I do use it) connection also adds to the burden. I do respond as sincerely and appropriately as I could. I know several members here and the kind of discussions they like. Like Everlasting, she's from my country, and she's an activist on her own right. Well, if you know our politics you won't blame her. I love her discussions Straight and kick@ss. I also follow most of myk threads, one of it was when he offer himself to be auction for a date, and what an auction it was. Of course Grandpa bob and his green thumb. I also witness the battle of some members about policies regarding repeating discussions and regarding trolls and several others. I'll try to be a good neighbor as I could be. I love mylot it is a place of serenity in a way from a world that seems deaf to the voice of ordinary people in this world.
@jerzgirl (7721)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
A place of serenity - I like that. Hadn't thought of that before, but in many ways, it is just that. So, mykl sold himself, huh? Hmmmmm - I wonder who won! LOL And, I can definitely appreciate people who are activists; straight and kick@ss only makes them better!!
@tyc415 (5706)
I would hope that I am a good neighbor but I know I could be a much better one. I also have met some wonderful people on here and some are gone from here now. I don't judge a discussion by the title of it. I don't always respond to the discussions because I don't have the knowledge to have any input there but if it is something that I know about or have an opinion on or just seems fun I will respond. There are a lot of topics that I know nothing about but I might learn something from reading and will let the person know that I did learn from reading. I am not here to make money at all, if that was the case I would be in a world of hurts. hahaha Have a good day.
@jerzgirl (7721)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Well, I haven't always been the best of neighbors - I was recently (and legitimately) called on the carpet for some less than stellar behavior on my part in a political discussion. But, we all have 'hot button' issues and I'm not going to move just because I was stupid once (I've got a lot of stupid left in me!! ) But, money did get me to move in initially - but it was the neighbors who kept me here once the money proved to be more of a bonus than an income. And, because of the neighbors, I've earned more because I am more interactive now. I know the neighborhood better and am better equipped to respond and ask questions and know where someone is coming from in a particular discussion. And, I know what you mean about reading something you don't know anything about and realizing you've learned something from it - a VERY good reason to respond, even if you can't answer directly to the topic!