Microwave Mishaps

@poona_m (336)
India
August 12, 2008 2:21pm CST
How many of you have had experienced some mishap while using a microwave oven. Please share your experiences of forgetting to take out the metal spoon, accidentally leaving a metal container in the microwave oven, breaking a glass bowl, melting a plastic bowl or any such experiences. I do not use microwave oven much for cooking. Only for reheating purposes. But once I tried to toast my breads in the microwave. I don't know what I was thinking off because I have a toaster. I put the bread on the glass plate that rotates in the microwave oven. I set it to grill and started it. After a couple of minutes I heard a loud thud and I ran to the microwave oven to find that the glass plate was cracked at a few places. I believe the moist bread got hot fast and the glass part on which the bread was kept also heated while the glass part on which there was no bread was still cool. This resulted in a thermal stress cracking the glass immediately. What are some of the foolish things you did with your microwave oven?
1 person likes this
13 responses
• Hong Kong
20 Nov 09
I hate using microwave oven. To me, it is not a good invention at all. I tried reheating an fried egg with some rice by using the reheat button for 3 minutes. After 2 minutes, I heard a sound, then realised that the egg yolk was burst and immediatly the rice and splited egg yolk flied everywhere inside the microwave oven. What a mess!!!! Nothing to eat but many things to do!!!! Sour food, like food cooked with much vinegar, and some kind of curry are not welcome by the microwave,too. So, be careful!!!
• United States
13 Aug 08
Once while away at college, my roommate and I decided to stick some jumbo marshmallows in our dorm's microwave and zap them on high to see what would happen. We watched as the marshmallows got bigger, and bigger... until suddenly, they exploded, completely covering the inside of the microwave in sticky goo. What's worse is when we opened the microwave, smoke came pouring out, and it set off the smoke detector in our room -- our entire hall had to be evacuated! Needless to say, I'm never trying that again. :P
@walijo2008 (4647)
• United States
13 Aug 08
The only mishap that I've had with a microwave, was burning popcorn. Have you ever tried to get that burnt popcorn smell out of your microwave? Its nearly impossible to do, I don't know what all kinds of cleaners I used in it, nothing worked, everytime I used the microwave all I could smell was burnt popcorn. I guess it finally went away by itself.
@icegermany (2524)
• India
13 Aug 08
i always try to use things carefully not even just to protect myself n also becoz i have a small son who freaks around at home n i really need to be careful coz of him. before a few days it happened that i was just cooking n my son came behind me n he was just seeing out of the door n playing n i was just busy cooking n my son went to the microwave n i had kept a metal-glass candle stand beside, he just kept that stand in microwave n turned on it, i could listen some noise, i immediately turned there r flames in the oven n my son is running way due the sound n flames as he is scared, i immediately turned off the oven n saw the candle stand was about to melt n i could find it carbonated . he always want to keep something in oven i had also used a child gate in my kitchen but my son always use to stand on that n try to open n then atlast he removed it. sometimes its so difficult to look after childrens.
@dagda24 (367)
13 Aug 08
Not so much a mishap, rather a bad habit, but your bread story remindded me. I had a very good childhood friend, who I've now sadly lost contact with) and she used to microwave a slice of bread (microwave, not grill function) until it was warm and soggy, squirt on some tomato ketchup, fold it in half and eat it. Even now the thought of it makes me feel a little icky. Never done anything microwave-mental myself but I remember Jack Dee, English Comedian, used to dress eggs up as celebrities on his show, then have microwave competitions to see who lasted the longest. He once did all five Spice Girls at once and blew the microvawe door off. Incidentally, if you put tin foil in the microwave it's meant to spark all different colours. . . Not sure how safe this is though. My brother, once, tried reheating food in a polystyrene container in the over. Melted everywhere - not pretty.
• China
13 Aug 08
everyone of us may come around some unhappy experiences .i am sorry to hear that unhappy thing .good luck next time
@_sketch_ (5709)
• United States
13 Aug 08
Once when I was little I put a metal spoon in a plastic bowl and put it in the microwave. the spoon melted into the bowl and got stuck. Also one time I tried to microwave dirt for some reason. Not a good idea.
@k1tten (2321)
• United States
13 Aug 08
Um.... I don't quite remember acutally what I've done to our microwave. Oh wait... I do remember now. I was trying to make microwave s'mores once. Somehow I burnt the graham and chocolate. It was barely recognizable after I took it out of the microwave and the smell was horrible. WE couldn't get rid of it for days.
• United States
13 Aug 08
I've burnt popcorn in our microwave at school. It was terrible too. I used the popcorn button and that burnt it to a crisp. It burnt it so much the bag was smoking. We had to take the bag out of the apartment and throw it away. It also made our apartment smell for days. One of my other roommates tried to make popcorn an did not use the popcorn button and it still burnt on her too just not as bad as the popcorn that I made did. We still had to open all of the windows and remove the bag. It didn't make the apartment smell as bad as my bag did but it was still horrible though.
@Theresam (1181)
• United States
13 Aug 08
Well once in Junior high my girlfriend and I decide to do a little experiment and put some bubble gum in her microwave. It was the most disgusting mess! We got in a little trouble there. One of my kids did put a fork in the microwave once luckily I caught it before it did any damage but it did spark.
• Philippines
12 Aug 08
At one instance I got home so tired, stressed out and my mind was full of thoughts about some problems, put a plastic container in the microwave with my food inside to heat up set the timer and sat on my couch to continue my pondering. When I got back for my food, I found out that the plastic container melted and its shape distorted making my food good for the trash bin. Upon investigation, it seems I forgot to open the lid a bit to release the vacuum air inside the container. I ended up putting a visible sign posted on the wall near the microwave: CHECK THE CONTAINER/FOOD INSIDE THE MICROWAVE BEFORE SETTING THE TIMER. My constant reminder. :-)
• India
12 Aug 08
well once i had tried boiling eggs in the microwave. but i don't know what went wrong after the time was over when i opened the microwave the eggs instead of being boiled they were broken as in as if tehy blasted inside and my entire microwave had become messy.
@Essie119 (673)
• Canada
12 Aug 08
My husband had a micro - mishap. He was in a hurry and threw his coffee mug in the microwave oven. Unfortunately for him, it was a new cup - made of stainless steel. It has a plastic handle which when the arcing and sparking started, melted. As soon as he saw the sparks, my husband opened the door to stop the oven. This caused the handle to kind of explode into small black plastic dust-like particles which floated all over my kitchen. They were everywhere - the whole room had to be washed down from top to bottom.