Closing credit card account - what a mess

@LittleMel (14055)
Personally I've never heard anyone has or had a problem when closing their credit card, aside from probably paying the debt off. Now I came upon some money I decided to use it to pay my credit card off and so I called the bank in May telling them to close my a/c and tell me how much I owed. They told me I can't pay by Visa over the phone, so I sent a Visa check - and that was the beginning of fiasco or whatever you want to call it. In June instead of an MC statement saying that the payment was received, I got sort of a promotion letter about how much the card was improved. I called the bank and they said it could be mail delivery (I had mail delivery problems a few times myself) so I decided to wait. In July I received another MC statement with interest doubled on top, only this time my Visa statement showed that the check I sent was cashed on the very same month. Again I called the bank and got the same answer that payment wasn't received so this time I went straight to BBB. I have nothing against business making money but I certainly won't pay twice what I already paid. So in response to my complaint, the bank rep called me saying that the payment was credited, only not to my account, but to my husband's. She said there might have been a confusion such as no account number or signature etc, but if this was the case, they supposed to return the check and not crediting it into whatever a/c of their liking. How would they know whose a/c it should be credited into, without account number anyway?? She mentioned about calling me back once she received copy of the check as part of her investigation blah blah blah well nothing until August, except another statement from MC. Now my husband is sick of them and told them to solve it because it isn't Master Card fault or mine, the bank should fix it. They said they will but I will keep contact with BBB about this. Shocking how a bank can make a mistake crediting payment, and still charges interest. It's a good lesson for me though, if anyone should ask about this bank, I will tell them everything so that they don't have to go through the same thing. Anyway sorry for the long rant, now what's your bad experience when closing credit card a/c or maybe any a/c you have? I never had bad experience closing any a/c with anybody except for this one particular bank.
I fortunately have never been involved in anything like this regarding a credit card account. I do thank you for taking the time to respond to my Paypal discussion. I was listening to Clark Howard on the radio and he gave some advise that might help, but I cannot remember exactly what it was, so you might visit his website. He was telling a story about how some bad guys stole someone's checkbook and was able to pass off a ton of checks because the bank was not verifying the signature on file matched their records. Clark gave some great advice to circumvent this but I forgot.
@LittleMel (14055)
well how come the bank didn't verify the signatures that's just not right
@checapricorn (16066)
[i]Hi Mel, wow..i can't believe there are people who are working in that bank who is not smart enough! Just relying in their instinct on which account they will put the payment, that is ridiculous! ANyway, I never encounter major problems! and when I close my credit card, I did it because I quit my job and don't like to ruin my life with those temptations which I cannot pay anymore! LOL![/i]
@LittleMel (14055)
you took the right step there, closing it right after you quit so no interest in the long run. I couldn't come up with the money right away because after I quit I used savings to open a shop. I took short p/t jobs thats how I came up with the money to close two credit cards. I had absolutely no problem at all with the other bank, but this one I don't know why or how LOL made simple things complicated. But the problem was solved last year. The bank apologized and fixed it. If only they acted fast enough, I wouldn't have to go to BBB. But anyway it's over now. Thanks for the response
@suspenseful (40316)
Never had that problem, but then I do not close out my credit cards. I keep them open even if there is no balance. Oh what I would have done if you lived close to your bank would have brought the money right in, ask how much you needed to close off your account and have them credit the money to that account. Oh except for the joint account, put your own money in a different bank than your husband's. Usually if there is a payment, and the wife and the husband have separate accounts either credit card or bank, they will automatically put it in the husband because they consider that family income.
@LittleMel (14055)
now thats new to me, never heard that before and never experienced that either all this time I had and closed this and that credit cards I never had my payment credited into his account at all and more than once we both have accounts in one bank or company whatever type of account
@dopey22girl (3324)
Wow what a mess! I feel bad for you! I only just recently had to close an account; it was a savings account. I got an e-mail that turned out to be a scam, and by the time I realized it was a scam I had already entered in too much bank account information, so I had to really quickly close the account and have a check delivered to me. Luckily though it went really smoothly.
@LittleMel (14055)
now that's just smart act from your part to close the savings right after you realized it was scam, and really lucky your bank responds fast too
I have no such problems so far with closing credit card accounts , maybe because I usually keep up to the payments every month, so as not to incur interest. When I read your story, I wonder which bank it is, so that I won't get any credit cards from them.
@LittleMel (14055)
I was late a few times, when I had 2 credit cards. once because we were doing renovation I lost track of our bills and the other I moved so everything was all over the place. then again I always mailed the payment out to both banks so I don't know why this one bank in particular gives me so much problems. The other bank just credited my payment and sent me statement after with a letter saying I could always re open the a/c again in the future. What annoys me is that my husband does have an account with them, but payment to this account is a direct withdrawal from our saving every month, so how they end up posting a single payment by check to his account is very unusual I can't help but think this is intentional. Plus if there is no account number on the check, they supposed to return it not posting the payment to whichever account of their liking. I will let you know the bank name later, since right now it's still an open complaint through BBB
@samijo719 (1054)
I have been fortunate to not have any serious problems like this. I would have done the same as you though calling the BBB. That is horrible customer care. You'd think they would want to work with you to make you happy to keep making money off you. But apparently that's not a concept for most places like that... :-/
@LittleMel (14055)
I agree with you, customer care or payment center both of them in the beginning then complaint center for not delivering their promise of investigation, which was 2 weeks ago and they supposed to call me back last week or so
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I haven't had that kind of problem but definitely keep on them about cancelling the interest since it's their mistake! Good luck!
@LittleMel (14055)
I surely will. That's the main thing I reported them to BBB about. It's not much because I didn't use the credit card often, but it isn't my fault so I shouldn't be paying it.