nail trimming

How do you trim your cats nails? I used to trim them myself with fingernail clippers but now that I hear that it can be dangerous to the cat I don't want to hurt my cat so I am trying to find a cheap and safe way to trim my cats nails. I have seen an infomercial on a product that files there nails I just don't know how good it is. Here is the link maybe you have tried it:http://www.pedipaws.com/?directLoad&uid=3349F4B03C83058D965447126CCED116 How do you trim your cats nails?
@mcat19 (1358)
We use pet nail clippers. One of us holds the cat; the other cuts the nails. It's not too hard even with a squirmer. My daughter used to do this all by herself, just put the cat under one arm while sitting on the floor and clip away. I don't think mine would go for that. Do you have a scratching post for your cat? Maybe if you put one near the couch, he would scratch the post rather than the couch. Try sisal; my cats like that best.
Ya we have a scratching post for her. It even has catnip in it so she loves the thing just she also likes to scratch the couch too.
even if the cat doesnt use it's nails they should still be trimmed about once a month. otherwise, the nails will get snagged and catch on things, which will make some of the nail break off...very painful!! if you cant take your cat to the vets to get their nails trimmed,thats ok, you can still do it yourself with cat clippers (about $4.00) or files designed for pets. human files and clippers damage their paws. try not to cut too close to the nail;youll be able to tell by squeezing the paw and seeing the pink part of it . there are websites that explain how to do it.
@Elkeliini (265)
• Finland
I have a pair of clawclippers and i never use them. Totally unhandy stuff. I clip them with regular nailclippers. Its easy to keep it safe. if you look closely at your cats nails you will see them turning pink. that is where the bloodflow starts same as with humans. That is also where you should stop clipping. so if you dont clip in the pink, you are not hurting them.
Ya I know how to clip her nails. I am just afraid to because if the clippers aren't sharp enough then you can squish there nail and hurt them.
I dont do it. My cat doesnt stick out his claws alot and the only thing he ever scratches is an older rug that we have. I just dont think it is necessaroy to worry abot. He doesnt scratch me. If he was doing that i hink I might do something to trim his nails but that hasnt happened so I think it's not necessary.
Ya,well your lucky cuz my cat likes to claw the couch. So I am trying to find the best thing to trim them.
@Trace86 (5033)
I have thought about getting something like that, but am not sure that my cat would tolerate it. What if it is noisy or tickles? This evening, my husband held the cat and I used cat nail clippers on her. She had some broken nails already, so I didn't feel safe to cut those. Also, I left her "thumbs" alone too. I need to go to the vet and have her show me how to trim her nails more effectively.
I believe that the nail trimmer is supposed to be silent but it is true that the cat may not want to sit during it. I would just take my cat to the vet and have them trim them but I cant afford it. I would leave her nails alone but then she claws the furniture.