How Many (Repeated) Discussions Are On MyLot?

@myklj999 (21034)
I saw another thread today about "copied" discussions; not cut-and-pasted, but just generally topics. One of the newer users (and older ones do it to; this is not only a newbie thing) was doing the old complaint about "they copied my topic and got more answers than me and I hope myLot sees their copied discussions and deletes them. Of course, after browsing the first two pages of this person's discussions, I saw that about 75% were topics that have been around forever. That set off another train of thought; do all of you realize that with close to 140,000 members here, if each one were to start an average of 20 discussions each, that would equal 2.8 million discussions! So yeah, a lot of topics are going to be repeated; but sometimes we may see someone put a new spin or viewpoint on something that has been done 100 times already. The point of this discussion? Unless someone has done a copy-and-paste of someone's discussion, why are people trying to act like they "own" a topic? Let's give each other a break; there are few "original" discussions here; quit worrying about someone that has "copied" your discussion. Unless it is a strict cut and paste violation, all subjects should be free for all of us to discuss in our own ways. Can you think of 2.8 million different topics?
a fly on a salad is better than a ingrown toenail. i have been around for 5 days and i am staggered by the warlike attitude of mylot. it nearly put me of the site. but settled now and having fun when time permits. the only comment i can make regarding the 2.8 million discuusions is that 2.4 million of them are "which is better, coke or pepsi?" why does no one do "which is better, coke or heroin?"
@myklj999 (21034)
It may have been done; it wouldn't surprize me. If not, there you go; your own original discussion!
@foxyfire33 (10009)
I'm sure it has been done...we do have a number of users who have started a discussion to ask how to start a discussion... I think I may go ask if Captain and Coke is better than Smirnoff and OJ...or I may just do my own taste test.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Hooray. A childhood hero on myLot. Where's Seaman Staines and Master Bates Cap'n.
@foxyfire33 (10009)
I think this topic has been done before too. I'm sure plenty of mine (not counting my everyday life ones) were done before and have been done again since. I don't care. As many discussions as have been done since the site started, I doubt there really are any completely original, never been done before topics. That's just the way it is and people need to get over it. The only think that annoys me is when someone posts a topic and 5 minutes later someone else posts on the same topic in the same interest. A few days ago I noticed 3 discussions in a row by different users that were all about the same thing. Then I do think it's a case of rudely copycatting. Copy/paste is an entirely different issue and they should get banned...or at least warned to stop it.
@myklj999 (21034)
It has been done before. I just added the fogures into my thoughts to give it a different twist and maybe make some people realize that it's almost impossible not to copy something that has already been done. I do think those that do it intentionally, i.e. they just saw it and decided to start the same thing, are wrong for doing it. As for copy-and-paste violators...well, let's just say I really don't like them at all.
I can only think of 1.2 million, sorry.
@deebomb (15322)
With a community of over 139,000 it is very hard to come up with new discussions so in my opinion it is silly to get up set because someone else has started a discussion about the same thing or the same topic. I have one a search and don't find it very helpful unless you use the exact words of a discussion so that doesn't always work. The only discussions that I get concerned about are the exact copy and past ones.I have come across discussions that have no responses and then after I respond will find that someone has got their response posted faster than I did and we will be saying pretty much the same thing. So I'm with you. we don't own any topics. i don't believe that anyone really goes out of their way to copy a discussion. I have a hard time coming up with at least one discussion a day let alone 2.8 million.
@cher913 (25890)
well while i have never copied any, i have seen subsequent topics that i have started discussions on a variety of subjects. i even got a nasty note once to say that i started the same discussion as someone else! gee sorry... but you are right, there are only so many topics in the world and i scratch my head all the time to think of something fresh for here!
@marcialoyd (1174)
If someone copying my discussion on My Lot is my biggest problem in life I would have it good. ROFL. Seriously I am like you. As many members as there are on My Lot there ARE gonna be duplicate Posts on the exact same subject. But that doesn't mean someone "stole" your idea.
@lingli_78 (12844)
good thinking... i never actually think that i own a discussion and even though somebody else has a similar discussion like me, i won't complain unless if it is a straight copy and paste word by word... most of the time we don't realise that other people had already started similar discussions with so many people here... so it is purely unintentional... so we don't have to make a big fuss about it and let all of us just live in peace... :-) take care and have a nice day...
@vera5d (4006)
I agree, it's impossible to keep track of what discussions have been started before or not and like you said, it is not like they have been copied and pasted - they are usually a completely different spin on the other discussion. Sometimes if I am going to ask a generic discussion or something about news I will try searching for it, but even this doesn't always work, since it's all about the keywords and phrases you used. I don't think anything on mylot is worth getting worked up over. it's a nice place to chat, meet new friends and even make a little extra money on the side!
@checapricorn (16066)
Hi myklj, [i]I can't do that! LOL! I cannot even post 1 topic each day...LOL! And I agree with you, with so many members, great probability that topics will be similar, but the concept as well as the questions would be different except for those who claim that they read it word for word as to their post! ANyway, let's just enjoy our stay here and in my case, if I have responded to one topic and then I found out another person posted the same, I will just skip sometimes...LOL! Like this time for Olympics, everyone is watching and if there are controversies, people will bring it here and we can always expect similar post from other members![/i]
Speaking for myself, I just put discussions in that occur to me. I dont check to see if they have been done before or not. Chances are even if you do have a duplicate discussion it is not going to be exactly like the discussion that was on previously. I think I am not going to worry about someone complaining about discussion copying. Speaking for myself, if it happens it is not going to be intentional.
@towongfoo27 (2989)
Hi myklj999! I know I couldn't think of 2.8 million diferent topics, unless my mind was an Intel processor! When I went back to college to get my B.A. in English, I could barely focus on one topic long enough to write the paper. When I need inspiration for a topic, I watch the old television or read a book. I also draw from life experiences, as you know. I sure didn't know Mylot had 140,000 members! Good Lord! How does Mylot keep up with it all? I wonder if they are hiring..
@MsTickle (24994)
Well I, for one, am hard pressed to come up with anything like a stimulating discussion so I mostly leave that to others. I get a bit tired sometimes of seeing the same old "what is your favourite...?" and "which do you prefer....?" discussions but sometimes I see an oldy that's posed in a completely different way and I'm finding that refreshing. I can't be specific but you've done a couple of those yourself lately...good on ya!. There are not too many scholars here (thank goodness) and most folk seem to be here for the cameraderie. Me, I'm here for the money. It's a hard slug on dial-up though, let me tell you. I see folks who have double the posts I have who have been here half as long. That hurts... but I struggle on and I really do try and do my best. You're right...it's just too hard to come up with new stuff all the time. I'd like to see an end to diary entries though, I really have trouble "discussing" those. It's really hard to relate to most of them.
@kenzie45230 (3560)
I'm definitely with you on this one. For pity's sake, as it says in Ecclesiastes 1:9, "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." With as many members as there are, there will be repeated topics of discussion. And, frankly, when people are complaining about this, they're copying discussion topics of MANY people who have complained before. There are some here who, if they didn't do complaint articles might not have anything to say. Hmmm.
@insulin (2483)
I agree with ya..:-0 I saw some repeated topics about that and it's really sometimes tired to read about it..:-0 Well I guess there a more than 2.8 million different topics that we can post here as long that we are observing some topics here too..:-0 I can see that observation is need to apply here because sometimes we don't know that the topic we post is already here..:-0 Well I know starting a new topic is kinda interesting and challenging..:-0 God bless and have a nice day..:-0
@medicguy (307)
• Pakistan
hahaha... yes you are absolutely right. We, for the most part, think a like, it is those minor attributes that make us unique that gives every conversation a little touch of difference and individuality. Originality along with creativity and from where our inspirations come from are two very different aspects of the same working mind frame. Both can overlap and as a matter of fact, they do. However, as you said yourself, direct infringement of ones original work is a very offensive and downright disgusting thing to do, knowing that they didn't even credit for their sources.
@arkaf61 (10882)
I"m with you. Completely. I've seen people complaining and complaining as if they owned the subject, but the truth is that even a discussion with the exact same heading can be a completely different thing. THe same subject can be discussed and posted in so many different ways... and viewed in so many different perspectives. Like you I am not talking about copy-and-paste. But other than that, I think it's time people in here stop the nonsense. I've even read about people that go around looking for discussions that have the same topics.. why? Why waste time like that ? Some people really remind me of the kids at school with their tattle-telling.
@rae777 (110)
Well said myklj999. I mentioned this recently. There is no way of getting around this and it does not hurt to rehash some topics! Maybe some one can bring a new view to light. :)
I bump into discussions that are similar,, and I keep on thinking, I already had responded to same discussion but when I look at the date? it is very new.. and I remember I saw same kind months ago. I think you are right that some are copying other's work? well am not sure.. but it might be.. Good for me, I don;t know how to paste and copy.. and I can not copy other's topics.. but seriously, if this is true, something must be done in it.
That is a lot! Interesting figures. I think that is the reason why we need to tag correctly our posts and discussions... it somehow relate one post to another and more often than not, you will see similar discussions... and it is bound to happen. I dont think myLotters, or most of us, do it intentionally. I mat start a discussion now with no idea that it has already been posted. I wont dig into all discussions just for me to make sure nothing similar was posted. Even if it similar, as long as it is taken on a different angle, it is still worth posting. Just post. Be sensitive. Be sensible.
Are you kidding me... Here all the discussions that I have come up with, have already been around... hmmm well they ALL were just reading MY mind ahead of time.. LOL It is true, lot will have the same questions, problems in their lives.