Who is harvesting from their gardens?

@newtondak (3950)
Are you canning? freezing? preserving? Do you make pickles? relishes? What are you doing to put away your produce for winter?
@sweetdesign (5151)
I am growing new plants from seeds. I am still getting tomatoes and peppers from the old plants. I am planting radishes today so in about 13 days I should have some radishes. I am drying out tomato seeds for the next batch. I am building one of the new raised beds in the backyard this week so hopefully we will get it planted with some veggies soon. I live in FL so I can do this pretty much all year round. I will be canning and freezing and drying our harvests.
Oh forgot to add that I pickle stuff as well
@newtondak (3950)
When we moved here there were some old barn timbers laying in a pile that no one wanted so my husband brought them up to the yard with the tractor and we arranged them to make a raised bed. We live on a cattle ranch so fertilizer is no problem - he put a good 6" of composted manure in the bottom and then soil on top. Our soil here is very sandy though, so I want to incorporate some good top soil into it before next year.
Thats funny all we have is sand here in Florida! Well floridians call it dirt and when it is wet they call it mud but I am from arkansas and it is sand.
We are doing all of those things, we can, freeze, dehydrate, etc. We have canned many pickles, relishes, beans, and a lot of tomato sauce. Also we have frozen many vegetables and fruits, like squash, eggplant (for eggplant parmesan), blueberries, pies, etc. We have dehydrated fruit like strawberries to have dried fruit to eat. All of these things will save a lot of money during the winter when a lot won't be available, or it will be really expensive. I think it's the smartest thing to do to ensure that you will eat, but it takes a lot of time, though I think it is very well worth it in the long run, we are having a lot of fun with the gardens and the preserving process . Have you been doing a lot of this stuff for winter preparation as well?
@newtondak (3950)
I don't have as much as usual - we moved from MO to ND this past fall and I'm still getting used to the shorter growing season and the sandy soil. Do you have any suggestions for preserving zucchini to use in the winter? My one plant seems to be doing really well, and we've only used it fresh in the past. When my kids were small and we enlisted them to help in the various aspects of canning and preserving - being children, of course they complained. Their grandmother would also pipe up and say "When the snows a'blowin' this winter, you'll be glad we did this!" Her saying has now been based down to their children as well and you can bet than someone will bring it up whenever someone else complains about the work involved.
We use special vacuum bags that work well with soft vegetables like squash, zucchini, eggplant, etc. We got ours on ebay, it's pretty cheap to just get the vacuum and bags on there and they keep fresh longer than most frozen veggies, it was worth it.
@newtondak (3950)
What brand did you get? Was it very expensive? We used to have a Seal-A-Meal but then it became hard to find the bags. I see that the stores carry both the unit and the bags again, but they're pretty pricey.
@gabbana (1815)
hi, nice question. neighbours around me do, they pickcle chinese cabbage, cucumber, put eggplants, cucumber, beans under the hot sun, make stings of them for winter use.
@newtondak (3950)
I have read of the pioneers drying green beans - they would leave two pods connected together by the stem and place them over a line to dry - they called them "leather britches".
@raydene (9875)
We are drowning here with all the rain. A lot of my veggies didn't do well. I do have cukes, tomatoes, green peppers that we have been eating. I also have parsley, basil, mint, lemon balm, lavender, etc that needs to be dryed but I'll start soon. xoxoxoxoxo
@newtondak (3950)
It has been a dry year here and we cold use some rain. We've also had several days of high winds that have really whipped all of the garden plants around. I need to build a windbreak of some kind for next year or relocate the garden in a more sheltered area.
I will have grapes and pears in my freezer this winter. I may, or may not have tomatoes, just a few. I am eating them as fast as I can get them. That is more than I have done in ages.