I'm a bit angry at myself.

My son's crib mattress is falling apart, so I decided I'm going to get him a new one this weekend. Last time I bought a crib mattress, you could get one for about $25, or $30. Well I went to Walmart, and the cheapest they had was about $50. I really didn't want to spend this much, because the mattress I need is for a toddler bed, he won't be using it for too long. Well I got home and searched online. The first one I saw was marked $17, so I bought it. After I got my confirmation, I realized this is not the kind of mattress I need. This is a mattress for a portable crib, and it's smaller in size than the mattress I need. So now I've paid for this mattress that I don't need, but can't cancel the order. The only thing I can do is wait for it to get here, and return it, and hope I get all my money back, including the shipping. Have you ever done anything like this?
I would be amazed if you got the shipping money back also. Because most companies will do that if it is their fault. As it was your fault. They really do not owe it to you!
Yeah I know, but it was $10 in shipping, half the cost of the item itself. I really can't afford to lose that money. I guess I wouldn't mind if I had to exchange it on something else, so long as I didn't have to pay more money.
thank you for the best response!
@relundad (2311)
I shop online all of the time but I make sure that I read carefully as its easy to make a mistake. And I probally would not even bother with the whole shipping back ordeal. I am just not that patient and figure someone kind of way I will end up paying for it by packaging, driving to the post office, taking the time to meet all "return" requirements etc. Also if I were in need of something I probally would have bought the one that I saw. You never know whether the shipping is gonna be delayed or item gets lost. Or you miss the delivery person etc. Since it was something that I needed I would have maybe done comparative shopping for outlets where I could pick the item up. For me time has monetary value so I always figure that into the equation. Sometimes the cheapest ends up being the most expensive.
I can return it to the store for a refund of the purchase value, although I have lost the cost of shipping. Chalk it up to experience, because from now on I will be more careful after this happened.
@dani27 (545)
I have never done this, but I am sorry. I agree, you may not get the shipping back but at least they may give you an RMA number to return the matress. Good luck.
I can return it right to the store, so that's not much of a problem.
@bowtieguy (5930)
Not particualry. I am pretty careful when shopping online not to get things that are not what I am looking for. I have had instances before whe shopping in stores getting something that I thought I liked but once I got home I realized that I didn't like it as much. Luckily I was able to return them and get a full refund. I hope the same works out for you. You might lose out on the shipping but at least should be refunded the purchase price.
Well I scoured the website and could find no information on whether or not I'd recieve the shipping fees in refund, so I actually had to e-mail them to find out that I will not be refunded the shipping fee. I'm actually quite annoyed because that information should be on their website, and they should allow you to cancel an order since it's not even processed yet. Chalk it up to experience. That's one mistake I'll never make again.