Active child

@SViswan (12072)
I have a 6 year old who is full of energy. Keeping that energy channelised has become a challenge. I can't keep up and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. He has lots of academic work and physical activities daily. He eats well and is not too fussy about anything. How can I keep him occupied without getting into too much trouble and without having to be supervising him all the time?
@mimpi1911 (25454)
I am glad that you have an active child. Trust me, all parents want it that way. Active, if not hyper active, kids are a bliss to have. It would be best to let go and allow him to be just himself instead of doing much ado about it. Having said this, I can understand your point of keeping him in the right kind of track. Now, that only the parents, specially the stay-at-mom, would know better. I get that he is of good health and eating right. You did not tell us about his sleep patterns. Taking that he is a normal sleeper, I would suggest you to make him more outdoorsy, take him out to open air, allow him to interact and play physical games....and stuffs like that. This would not only keep him busy but also take care of is psyche. 2-3 hours of physical activity should be categorically considered as a comparatively good channelising of energy. Thank you. Happy parenting.
@SViswan (12072)
This is a very old discussion....and I could keep him constructively occupied because I was a stay-at-home mom. I love the way my son...so full of life and into everything. The problem (well..can't be really called a problem)...started when I was expecting my second child and was too tired to keep up with his energy levels. Now, I have 2 very active boys:) And upto the time my older one fractured his leg, I had my routine worked out perfectly. NOW, with both of them home at the same time, I have a hard time spending constructive time with the both of them and the rest of the work to be handled too. It's driving me crazy! Since you asked about sleep...my older one is a sound sleeper...not the second one though.
@mimpi1911 (25454)
Yeah, that's quite a thing!! You can keep them busy with cumulative task involving the two at the same time. Like both can do a craft work together or alone or even they can do some chores which might earn them some kinda incentives and stuff like that. Having said this, I still feel that it's not easy practically for children do not follow any rules. Moms would know the best. Good luck!
@SViswan (12072)
Thanks for the response...but they can't really do the same stuff together...because the older one is now 7 (and can't move with that fractured leg)...and the younger one is just 15 months...all over the place and can't do any structured play at the moment. I never had a hard time keeping the older one occupied really till I went home for my delivery...and he didn't have to go to school...there's only so much one can do (and one who doesn't have the energy) with a 6 year old. But after I posted the discussion, I got him enrolled for 2 classes during the daytime (I had to pay through my nose for it...but it was worth it) - one for keyboard and one for carnatic vocal music. the rest of the time I kept him busy with a little bit of academics (didn't want him lagging when he got back to school)and a little bit of TV...and the rest of the time was spent bonding with granny and aunt. Now, I probably should start a discussion on how to handle the home AND keep a 7 year old with a fractured leg, occupied....AND at the same time take care of a 15 month old...lol. And when the 7 year old gets his cast off...it's time for vacation....so I have another 3 months of this craziness!
My son is 3 years and 9 months old. When he was little, I still found he was so energetic. I always wonder why children are so full of energy all the time. Sometimes I am already so tired but he is still playing around. I can imagine your case. Hard to believe how my son will be when he is 6 years old:)
@SViswan (12072)
lol..this discussion was started when he was 6 (more than a year ago). He was always active and I knew how to keep him occupied...but the problem started when I was expecting my second child and was too tired to keep up with his energy levels. Now my second son is 15 months and we have our routines worked out....lol...2 active boys do keep me busy:) And I'd rather have it this way than 2 dull boys!
@praveenjena (1305)
there a lot of ways to make your child active. give your child a lot of work to do.. 1.enrol him in art classes or in martial art classes. 2.give him cartoon books...painting books. 3. toys can occasionally help. 4. tv can keep him busy often. 5.make him play a lot than he will have a lot of sleeep and he will disturb you less. if these dont work then you have to hire someone to look after him.!!!
@SViswan (12072)
I don't want to make him active! He already is. He goes for music and keyboard classes, loves to paint and does it everyday...loves to run and cycle which he does every day. He also has school work that he does daily. I'm not very much into the T.V. thing. Earlier it was just an hour a day. Now I find that he's glued to it if he is allowed to watch T.V. So, the T.V.'s out of bounds as of now unless I approve of what he is watching and a time limit is set. I guess the last one might be an option..I'll haveto hire someone:P
@subha12 (18453)
I have seen the similar case with mu niece. she is 3 and very much active. sometimes its really difficult to keep her quite. i think these children should be engaged in some constructive works. they will be busy this way.
@SViswan (12072)
Yes, and I've never had a problem keeping my son busy....but this discussion was started when I went home to my mother's for the delivery of my second child and my older son was out of school for 3 months. I didn't have the energy to keep up with him then (what with the pregnancy....and being tired all the time) but I did do my best to do it. Anyways, I put him for a keyboard class and a vocal singing class...so his mornings all day was occupied...and then I also made lesson plans and did a little teaching the rest of the day. He also got time to bond with the extended family. But it was hard keeping up with him.