That's just Mental!

@Riptide (2761)
Recent events have encouraged me to look into mental illnesses,because I feel that some abnormal behaviors have to come from somewhere. If people have delusions and can't be reasoned with like your average adult, something is obviously not right. I found some stuff online that makes sense to me and would certainly explain the behavior of someone I had dealings with. I didn't realize there were so many different mental illnesses and just how severe they can play themselves out. I think I have an idea what is plagueing that person. Schizophrenia seems to be one,mixed in with a bit of Multiple Personality Disorder and I know for a fact this person is bipolar. According to the some of the sites I read, that would constitute Borderline Personality Disorder. Borderline Personality Disorder is experienced in individuals in many different ways. Often, people with this disorder will find it more difficult to distinguish between reality from their own misperceptions of the world and their surrounding environment. While this may seem like a type of delusion disorder to some, it is actually related to their emotions overwhelming regular cognitive functioning. People with this disorder often see others in “black-and-white” terms. Depending upon the circumstances and situation, for instance, a therapist can be seen as being very helpful and caring toward the client. But if some sort of difficulty arises in the therapy, or in the patient’s life, the person might then begin characterizing the therapist as “bad” and not caring about the client at all. Clinicians should always be aware of this “all-or-nothing” lability most often found in individuals with this disorder and be careful not to validate it. Taken from this link http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/borderline-personality-disorder-treatment/ After reading through this site, it appears I know more people with mental illnesses then I thought. Do you know anybody like that and have you thought they were just weird,but now know they are actually ill?
The majority of the people I know have a mental illness of something or the other - I knew about it before a friendship came about. To most people they seem strange or threatening but once you get to know the person then you find they are very nice people.
@skaterx (530)
• Finland
There are basically HEAPS of people with mental illness, because it comes in such a variety, if you read from a therapist or psychological handbook, basically everyone would fall under some kind of mental or psychological catergory! But I mean, generally speaking, people shouldn't stigmatise mental problems as if "oh my, this person is so sick", all people are different. Everyone has some kind of problem, whether physical, mental or emotional, whether is big or small, so people should be treated with tolerance and respect. But yes, if you think someone is ill or has some kind of problem, and you are their friend, you should try to recommend help for them.
@Riptide (2761)
The problem is, that with the person(s) I speak of, there is no reasoning. I tried and logical and reasonable thinking just seems to escape them so I decided to cut myself loose from them and erase them from my life.
• Netherlands
Ahhhhhhh Riptide. That isn't true. I do listen to reason. Well, unless you aren't talking about that one time at that place where we once .... Nope talking nonsense again. I know you do not mean me.... Pfffft I only don't listen to reason when talking to myself.
I just have a question if you don mind sharing your discussion .. Does this mental illness allow people to commit crime ? What is your opinion on "2nd Degree Murder" and the story about the father who left his daughter in dungeon and kept her as slave and fathered her children .. sorry i forgot his name .. he is also claiming insanity ... Is this mental illness an escuse for all crime ? ..
@Riptide (2761)
I think mental illness should never be used as an excuse to commit a crime. I believe that even people with mental disorders know the difference between wrong and right and if they don't, then they don't belong out in society.
• Netherlands
This must be why I find myself argueing with someone no one else is able to see. I have been wondering about that. Guess this explains why. Bob isn't real. He just isn't real. I will repeat that as my new mantra. Thank you for your help.
@Riptide (2761)
What?? Bob isn't real? That's a sshame, he was so cute. That's the trouble with imaginary friends, they are so damn unreliable.
@underdogtoo (9599)
The mind has always fascinated me and I read up on it in books because there were no computers then and no internet. Names have changed like Bipolar Disorder which used to be called manic-depression and there are more new ones like Borderline Personality Disorder as more and more people exhibit similar mental patterns. In times past they were just diagnosed as being "possessed by demons" and most famous have been the mass hysteria of nuns in Loudon, France and the hysteria associated with the Salem witch hunts which may have started with a not-so-innocent prank. I have taken LSD and I know the powers that the mind can unleash. There is a lot which modern studies of the mind has not reached.
@vanities (11376)
• Davao, Philippines
nope..none i guess..but my daughter meet so many while doing her on the job training as a nurse..in a certain facilities in our city..i had read about bipolar thing..and been assumed that those people who easily got mad over nothing are bipolar but not been diagnose as such since we think that its normal..and yes thanks for the link i had learn some disorders which i dont have knowledge of..
@worldwise1 (14887)
It says a lot about you, Riptide, that you would take the time and effort to even do the research involved to learn something about people with personality disorders. I am one of those people, and have often said that I wish more members of my family would do that research. Support and love from family and friends goes a long way in the treatment of people with personality disorders. I have concluded after dealing with this malady for so many years that, in fact, more than half of the population do have some mental health issues. Thank you for this post.