Beware!!!!!! Something strange With my laptop can happen to yours....read on

@rocker21 (2717)
India
August 16, 2008 9:01am CST
I just was working with my laptop and i just touched the screen up there, i guess and i got a medium electric current flow, I took out my tester to test if the current was there and i found it was glowing red light! I put my tester into the Usb slots and other VGA slot too and there current was there too..... It happened with my IBM laptop which i had before now with my Toshiba and with My ASUS laptop also! Can anyone explain what is this, is this normal ?? i dont think so!! When the laptop is on AC power (not on batteries) and if i touch it somewhere like The USB OR VGA Or anything where other PLUG AND PLAY devices are plugged, theres a tingle effect and even sometimes its more than just tingle! HELP!! PLEASE did anyone suffer the same?????
1 person likes this
3 responses
@velah1 (102)
• India
21 Aug 08
Hi, It's completely normal, don't worry. The tester will always glow if you touch the USB port, or any port for that matter. But on touching it, you should not feel anything. Sometimes, if your feet are touching the ground, you can receive a small shock. If you are receiving a mild-strong electric shock always, then there's a problem with the earthing of your laptop. You should call up your customer care and inform them. By the way, I don't think the screen must be containing current. The metal parts of the body of the laptop can have some current in them when it's on AC. I have a Dell XPS and when it's on AC, i always get a fun tingling sensation on touching the metal parts of the body. The current is not strong enough to give you a shock but if your body hair touch it, then you can feel some of it. Cheers!
@rocker21 (2717)
• India
21 Aug 08
so is there any solution to this? like i have a laptop bag if i put my laptop inside it or cover the metal parts on the screen (where the screen paint is rubbed off) would it still give me this sensation?
@velah1 (102)
• India
21 Aug 08
Well, you won't be able to use your laptop while it's in the bag, will you :P :P? As i said earlier, a mild tingling sensation is perfectly normal, you don't need to worry about it. But if you receive an electric shock, then you contact the customer care immediately and inform them of the problem. Covering the metal parts of the screen may help, but it's not necessary if it's just a mild tingling senstaion. Cheers!
@rocker21 (2717)
• India
21 Aug 08
No i mean i have a tablet pc and the bag which i got is like u know totally compatible....like it has spaces for the usb and it has a screen opener on the top for using the tablet and it has inside all well padding and fixers for the laptop nicely on the bag...its like a multifunctional bag that once my lap goes in it doesnt has to be taken out:) m not talking about carry bag m talking about multifunction bags! i guess it'll work Well can u tell me the difference between an electric shock and tingling LOL i thout the tingle were shocks! but they are pretty strong to like u know i immediately take away my hand like i stuck something..... hey man m really getting worried help me out!
@4aps777 (1528)
• United States
21 Aug 08
get it checked out because there must be a short some wheres because that dont suppose to happen do something about it before you burn it up
@rocker21 (2717)
• India
21 Aug 08
yeah i'll do something i am not getting satisfied with the apple logo id !
@palonghorn (5485)
• United States
16 Aug 08
Interesting discussion. I have a Sony and I just touched the USB ports, it is on AC power right now, and I didn't feel anything. I have only had one other laptop and I didn't have that experience with it either. I believe it was a HP. Maybe you should call one of the computer stores near you and ask them if that happens on a regular basis.