McCain says Corsi book is funny then his campaign flip-flops for him

"Much of the week has been spent responding to Jerome Corsi’s new book, “The Obama Nation,” and its lengthy list of transparent falsehoods. Yesterday, the Associated Press asked John McCain, who was on route to a meeting, what he thought of the right-wing hatchet-job. McCain responded, “Gotta keep your sense of humor.” (http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/15/politics/fromtheroad/entry4352927.shtml) The Obama campaign was not amused. “The old John McCain used to boast about honorable politics, while the new John McCain finds Roveian smears funny. Honor is not a laughing matter. What does John McCain think is funny about an intolerant smear artist who called Pope John Paul II senile and claims the government lied about 9/11? McCain has said he wants to run an honorable campaign, but his belief that these smears are funny makes people question whether he now approves of the same reprehensible politics used to smear his own character eight years ago,” said Obama campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor. The DNC’s Rapid Response Team added, “Despite pledging to run a respectful campaign, McCain is just standing by while Corsi and his publisher, former D.ick (give me a break, MyLot censor...) Cheney aide Mary Matalin, poison this presidential race.” Soon after, in an interesting twist, a McCain spokesperson said McCain “actually did not hear the question, and would not be commenting on the book.” (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/08/15/campaign-says-mccain-didnt-hear-question-on-attack-book/)" --http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/thecarpetbaggerreport/FLIP/~3/366519817/16575.html ========== ...what? Why would you answer a question, especially with such an obscure answer, if you didn't hear it? This comes off as an extremely lame excuse--apparently McCain was desperately trying to squirm out of the position he put himself in by expressing how he really felt, and that the Obama campaign attacked him for. But you know, this sort of thing has happened so much that the McCain campaign must be running out of excuses to make for him, so now we're apparently down to 'if he answers a question badly, we'll claim he didn't hear it'. But even worse than this; assume that the slip-up didn't happen for a moment, and that it was just "McCain has no comment." Even THAT shows a big problem...has John McCain completely killed off his former self? What happened to honorable campaigning? He should have more integrity than to just ignore such a lie-filled smear job by a conspiracy nut who goes on white supremacist radio shows to shill his book.
lol McCain heard the question and he answered honestly. His campaign staff is just trying to smooth over another of his gaffes. If he hadn't heard it, he would have asked for it to be repeated or just waved or something - he would not have given an answer! I remember when Nancy Reagan used to stand beside or behind Ronald and give the answers to questions he was asked. The excuse was that he "didn't hear" the questions. lol I guess that is technically true since the man had alzheimers and probably didn't have a clue as to what was asked. "Honorable campaigning?" I didn't hold my breath on that one. It's never happened before and I really doubt it ever will. He should have more integrity, but he doesn't. It's getting close and he is desperate. I'm sure from here on out he'll be taking the help of anyone he can get, however low he has to go.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Actually, when you don't hear a question, you answer with an obscure answer. Personally, I have not read the book. I have heard a lot on both sides of it, but haven't read it so I'm not going to comment too much. I have heard a rebuttal on the rebuttal and the rebuttal apparent;y contains a number of inaccuracies as well. again, I haven't read any of it, the book or the rebuttal so I can't comment. My issues with Obama are on a deeper Ideological level anyway and those are the issues I prefer to focus on rather than the rumor mongering that has been floating around about him since his campaign started. I wish people would put more energy in to that because things like don't help McCain's cause at all. McCain's comment to anything like this should simply be "no comment". It keeps him above the fray and redirects attention to the genuine issues with Obama.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
In order to take a position on the book properly, he would have to read it. I'm sure both candidates are busy enough as it is. Granted it is beneficial to keep themselves informed but to have to read every single book that comes out about each other just to take a position would be pretty daunting for either of them. I think the best thing is to say, "I haven't read it and do not care to comment on it".
@anniepa (27242)
What I'm interested in is how Rose can be so supportive if President Bush when she obviously believes he was behind the 9/11 attacks. How can you praise someone for how he reacted to something and for preventing it to happen again when he was the one who orchestrated the attack in the first place? Annie
@anniepa (27242)
Just that thought that someone would say thing is funny if they hadn't heard the question is worrisome! Gosh, if he didn't hear the question how could he possibly say "Gotta keep your sense of humor"? I think he has killed off his former self,that's for sure. Integrity? I don't think he knows the definition of the word anymore. Annie
@N4life (851)
A response like this is only a preview of the gaffes we wopuld have to endure if we elected McCain as President.