Retail therapy... have you tried it?

@dizzblnd (3073)
I had a very stressful couple of days last week. I won't really go into all the details. Lets just say I am a mother of an almost 17 year old boy who is growing up and I have had to let go a little bit. It wasn't easy. Everything is OK now, I am over it. He didn't do anything wrong. After my initial shock and acceptance, I was anxious.. So after work last Thursday, I was sitting on the couch watching TV.. I was antsy. I jumped up, grabbed my keys and left. I didn't know where I was going, I just had to GO.. ya know? I ended up at Bed, Bath and Beyond where I spent $250. Then to Ross, another $75, then to Old Navy grand total there $0.56 (I had a $50 gift card that I kept forgetting about. It was weird, but I felt SO much better. I called my SIL who described my actions as "Retail Therapy" I didn't really know it had a name, so I was wondering: Have you ever done retail therapy? Do you call it that, something else, or were you just surprised as I was such a thing existed? If you don't shop to get over angst, what do you do.
@ZephyrSun (7387)
Oh yes like several times a week. I couldn't live without it I would probably be in the nut house by now with my three boys. I wanted to go tonight but it didn't work out that way so maybe tomorrow. lol
@dizzblnd (3073)
OMG THREE BOYS!?!?!? You poor poor Mom! I would be SOOOOOOOOOOOO broke if I had three of them. I bow to you!
@dizzblnd (3073)
I wish you lived closer! I'd buy you a drink... or 12. In all seriousness, bless you for all you do. Your boys are lucky to have you (even when they're NOT sleeping) I can tell you are a great mom
@msedge (4012)
Yes i always do that.Everytime i am upset, amd about something i go shopping or even i have problems i go out and go anywhere because if i stay home and think all about it then i will go crazy.Going out shopping is a therapy to me.
@dizzblnd (3073)
How wonderful that you utilize this wonderful mental health tool! I wish I had discovered it a long time ago!
@msedge (4012)
Its not too late yet
@gemini_rose (16194)
I have tried retail therapy before but not in a big spending way, just on little things like new nail varnishes or bath treats and things like that. Cannot really afford to go on a big spender bender! I too have a boy who will be seventeen very shortly, it is a stressful time when they are this age!
@dizzblnd (3073)
Usually I don't go nuts like that. But you know how it can be when "the boy" starts his hormonal cr@p... It's great to be a mom it's great to be a mom it's great to be a mom Someday I'll believe it LOL
@gemini_rose (16194)
Hormones, hormones OH MY GOD they are worse than girls! "its great to be a mum, its great to be a mum" Nope not workin yet
@anawar (2406)
dizzblnd - I'm familiar with buying things to improve my mood, but no, I didn't know it actually had a name! I try to buy little things like DVDs or books as the month goes by. If I don't buy anything fun at all, I get into trouble. I don't go crazy shopping, but I'll confess I bought my first designer purse. It was on sale, but still, way too much to spend for a purse. I think I spent an hour trying the bag on my shoulder and looking in the mirror, then returning it to the shelf. Within a few minutes, I came back and did the same thing all over again. I felt so good with that purse, I bought it. The funny thing is, I always carry small handbags because I don't bring too many things with me. Now, I have this huge purse, and my few small things are impossible to find in all that space. But I feel so good when I carry it - retail therapy, huh? That's a new one.
@dizzblnd (3073)
I usually don't splurge like I did either... USUALLY I do like you.. little things. But this time I am not sure what got over me. How wonderful you bought yourself a designer purse. Every woman ought to have at least one (even if she can't afford it ) It feels good to carry one around, especially if you aren't used to it. Enjoy it and the compliments you get. DON'T feel guilty about it. You deserve it. Now you have a name for your therapy. Use it often, and if anyone protests, tell them its BETTER than a shrink and medication
@anawar (2406)
Thanks. I needed to hear that.
@whittby (3073)
I've done retail therapy and because I always spend too much, I try to avoid it. that's not saying I don't love to go shopping, but with my budget lately, it's not an option. I like to go browsing online. I don't buy too much, but do thoroughly enjoy price shopping and comparing and marking things for purchase later. I clean for therapy now. Or organize - which works even better.
@dizzblnd (3073)
The money crunch sVcks when you need some real therapy. I understand what you mean. I did it again yesterday, only this time, I didn't buy a single stitch of clothing , still spent over 300 bucks . Oh well I had cabin fever after being cooped up in my house for 5 days... I had to do SOMETHING! Maybe I ought to try your method of therapy, Its a lot cheaper and very beneficial.
@dragon54u (31340)
Yes, I've heard of Retail Therapy! I've done it myself, though confined it to $20 or less. Just the act of getting out of the house and going somewhere is helpful but it's even better to get a treat for yourself. As long as you recognize it as such, and curtail your spending if you can't afford it, it's very helpful!
@dizzblnd (3073)
It really does help just to remove yourself from a stressful situation, but treating yourself at the same time is wonderful too.. I am just glad I happened to have the money to do it, because I usually don't I am happy to hear that you take advantage of something so simple, yet beneficial.