How Old Were You When You Got Your Wisdom Teeth?

Strange question right? Well I have a strange situation. I thought I must have already gotten my wisdom teeth. I am after all 39 yrs old, and always told I had a big mouth. So I just assumed they came in, and I just never had any problems. If I dont have a reason to go to the dentist, I dont go. I had a terrible experience, and it is torture for me to go. So I havent been in a few years, but they never said anything about me not having my teeth. Anyway, I have been having migraines for the past 4 yrs, which were thought to be from early menopause, and cycle hormones. Last week, my ear, the side that the headaches are on, started hurting. Then my back jaw started hurting. When I get the headaches, they always last 3 days, no less no more. This time was no different, excpet with the ear and tooth pain added. I wonder if all this time, I have had an impacted wisdom tooth, and had no idea. I guess I will have to make an appt with a dentist, ugh, I dont even want to think about that. So do you have your wisdom teeth? When did you get them? Did you have problems with them?
• Argentina
I am 23 and no signs of my Wisdom Teeth yet. I have agenesia, though, which means that some of my milk teeth do not have a replacement (only 2 in my case) so I guess I won't ever get Wisdom Teeth... not that I want them, anyway ;)
@devylan (695)
Wow, that is so interesting. My husband has something similar, where he didn't even have all of his teeth come in. Since his teeth are so spaced out, it looks like he's lost some, when in reality, he never got them!
I too have never heard of that, but am definately not a teeth expert. Might not be such a bad thing not getting them.
@Ina926 (172)
I am 28 years old and still do not have my wisdom teeth. My brother did have his teeth extracted though because he was in so much pain, he couldn't eat. After his teeth got pulled he had to keep gauze in the back of his mouth because of the bleeding and was told not to eat anything but, liquids for awhile.
I started having problems with my lower wisdom teeth when i was 17 and promptly had them all removed. The two on my bottom were already coming through the gum line and they were very painful.
@devylan (695)
Wow, that is a rather strange predicament, and I wish you the best of luck. I have been needing to go to the dentist for quite some time myself, but I haven't gotten up the nerve. I know I have a cavity (at least, I hope that's all it is), but I'm really scared. There is a dentist's office in town called The Coward's Cove, or something to that effect, though, so I may have to try them. Lol. Anyway, to answer your questions, I do still have all of my wisdom teeth. I started getting them when I was seventeen, and I had all of them by my eighteenth birthday, if I remember correctly. The dentist my mom brought me to said that I didn't need to get them pulled because they were all coming in perfectly straight, and as long as they didn't bother me, he saw no reason to put me through that. Now, however, I do have a slight case of TMJ, and I can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with having all my wisdom teeth still. Surely not, but I will have to make that dentist appointment sooner than later. If your teeth are causing you migraines, though, I would definitely get them taken care of. That would be such a relief! What an easy fix! Relatively speaking, of course.
I am unsure if the migraines and jaw pain are related, but it is worth looking into. I suffer with these migraines at least once a month if not more.
@devylan (695)
Yes, definitely worth the effort. Good luck!
I only got one of my wisdom teeth, and I got it at about seventeen. The other three were the ones that gave me problems lol. Right before I turned seventeen, I had terrible pain in my jaw on the right side. I had been having problems with my teeth for a couple of years from not seeing the dentist , and had a few teeth pulled. I thought that this was just another tooth going rotten. But what was weird was, when I looked in my mouth with the little mirror that the dentist uses, I couldn't find one imperfection with that tooth. I left it alone for a week or so, but the pain kept getting greater. Finally I went to the dentist to find out what was wrong. They took an x-ray and found that my wisdom teeth were trying to come in. The problem was, my mouth was too small, and there wasn't room for them to come in. That was why I was having pain in that tooth, the wisdom tooth behind it was pushing on it. Not only would these wisdom teeth have to come out, but a doctor would have to put me to sleep and cut into my gums to get them. As scary as that sounds, it was actually an easy and quick procedure. At least it was quick for me. The meds were so strong I don't even remember going to sleep, and before I knew it I was waking up and the whole thing was over. I was so drunk when I woke up, I didn't know what was what!!! The pain afterwards was minimal as well, I wasn't on the medication long, and I was back at work the day after the procedure. Well, I went to work anyway, they had taken me off the schedule because they knew I was having my wisdom teeth pulled, and they didn't expect me to be back until the following week!
Probably the last time I went to the dentist was right before the migraines started. They never said there seemed to be a problem, or that I even had them or didnt have them. I think 39 is kind of late in the game to be getting them though.
@maximax8 (27049)
In my early twenties I asked my dentist if I had wisdom teeth that one day would come through. He said that I had but at that time they were present and might come through in the future. The wisdom tooth on the left side of my upper jaw came through when I was 28 to 30 years old. It was a sore and bothersome process. Luckily I have enough room for it. I am now 36 years old and I have the wisdom tooth on the right side of my upper jaw trying to come through. It is partly through but I worry there is not enough room for it. It has been coming through for one year now. It is sore sometimes and normal at other times. When something is happening it is sore and I wish that it would stay as it is now and stop growing. I get a bit of ear pain and headaches sometimes. Good luck.