On Writing a Romance Novel

Just wanted to share that I was able to finish a romance novel once, a full 100 plus page of novel. i was able to do this when i stopped schooling and i am just at home. i don't know what to do with my life then and i said that i would try writing a romance novel as i may have a future as a romance novelist. It is not so easy to do and i really prepared the manuscript well that when it was finished i am so proud of it. it seems to me like the best story ever written. i am so proud of it! it is perfect in my eyes...its the story of an orphan girl who longs for someone to love and feels so insecure and lonely...anyway the story has a happy ending. i was able to finished the story after 3-4 months i guess and i am so courageous to actually present and submit it to a publisher. i am so certain that my story will be published but alas when i called the publishing house, the secretary said that the publisher wants to talk to me, i really thought it was good news but what he said is that i have writing talent and loads of potential but needs more training. he invited me to attend a writing workshop but i did not attend the workshop as I get so discouraged. Anyway, the manuscript is still with me and sometimes i wonder what will i do with it.
@cbreeze (1209)
I wouldn't let that one experience stop me. Don't stop believing in yourself and your story. I am sure it is as good as you believe it is. You have to consider that the response you got is one person's opinion. Have you ever let a close friend read it. I have written a book and I let a few close friends read a 30 page excerpt from it. I had overwhelming positive responses on it. I am in the process of self editing the book now. I plan on self-publishing it. You should look into that as an option for your book. Don't give up. If you know in your heart that it is good work, keep pushing it. Publish it yourself. Let "real" people respond to your work.
self-publishing is a risk, isn't it? and somewhat expensive. I think that she should let "real" people read an excerpt. People who dont know her from Eve and therefore are more likely to give an honest opinion regarding both style and content. I'll volunteer.
@cbreeze (1209)
Having people who don't know her read excerpts is a good idea too. I have read some excerpts from some mylotters that have posted their work in progress on other sites. That's an excellent idea. As far as self-publishing goes, it isn't always expensive and risky. Their are some sites that do print on demand so that you don't spend a bunch of money on a book that doesn't sell. Booksurge is the one I am looking at.
@ayessa (1586)
Im sorry for that! I also have experienced that once when I submitted my writing to a publishing house and I also feel bad about that cause for me my novel was so perfect and it seems even better than those who are already published but maybe people have different ways in appreciating one story/writing. The good for us may not be good for them so better leave that incident behind and if you really love to write continue doing it. I am still writing though I never tried again submitting my work but I am compiling it and I plan to gave it to my baby when she grew up.
@cbreeze (1209)
Don't ever let a single experience deter you. If you don't feel like publishing houses are giving you a fair break look into self-publishing. No one will ever take my dream of having my book published from me. I hope to do it this year. I plan on self-publishing. Look into it. Don't give up.
It takes courage to submit your manuscript, and you did. It also takes courage to be able to accept your own weakness! He invited you to the workshop because he sees potential in you or else why he even bother. Be glad that someone takes the time to tell you honestly how he felt about your novel. If you miss this workshop, perhaps you can ask him or someone who's familiar with the publishing sector, to recommend you a writing workshop and sharpen you writing skills. It won't hurt to improve your skill - you've got nothing to lose, except spending a little more time and putting in some effort. So good luck!
The fact that the publisher was even will to speak to you was special. You should have gone to the course, if you could afford it that is. Maybe they would have been willing to publish you if you had gone. maybe you should consider going now. Most publishers won't even respond to anyone without an agent, I'm told. Which publishing house did you approach. Maybe I could send what I have. I'd love to be a professional writer.