Watching track and field on the 2008 Beijing Olympics, can you believe...

how fast those runners go? I mean, I know it's their job to run, but oh my gosh, they are practically flying around the curved track! In my 20s and early 30s, I used to run for exercise, and I felt so lean and mean and thin! I loved it. Now that I'm older, it just about kills me to run from our driveway to the driveway next door! How many of you out there have tried to run or jog lately? I must say that I am actually entertaining thoughts about trying to jog a little bit intermittently with my walks (outdoors and on the treadmill). What about you all? Do you ever think about running or jogging? If you do run, what keeps you motivated to do it? If you don't run, what would motivate you to do it?
@mummymo (23707)
Usian(sp) Bolt of Jamaica is unbelievable - my other half and I have been over awed by this mans speed , the fact that he does not look as though he is even trying and despite that he has won 3 races by a huge margin and broke 3 world records - and the Olympic Committee thought they should tell him off about the way he dances and poses in celebration? I used to be very athletic when I was younger but not now - now i can barely walk and definitely not without my walking stick so running is out of the question - I can still dream though! xxx
Yes, mummymo, Bolt is truly great. He just floats down the track. What an awesome runner! I guess some people find his attitude offensive. But he definitely has incredible speed. Glad to hear you are still dreaming, mummymo. Sometimes, that's all we need.
@mummymo (23707)
I don't see what is offensive about it - I know if most of us could run like that we would celebrate even more! lol I still dream PearlGrace - I think it would be a very boring world if we didn't dream! xxx
They do FLY! I have been watching them! AMAZING! I use to love to run when I was young. I have not ran in years! I would love to get to the point that I can at least jog bit doing a walk! I am slowly working toward this goal! I have been more focussed on getting healthy! So I guess it is just a matter of time!
Hi LouiseKnittel. Yes, wouldn't it be great to jog just a bit? That is so cool that you are working toward this goal, Louise. I hope you continue in that direction. It is so fun to do something again that we did when we were younger. These Olympics have really inspired me. The athletes are just unbelievable! Keep up the good work and you will reach your goals.
@jillhill (37383)
I used to all the time...even ran a 5k but no more....I'm lucky if I can chase my three year old granddaughter!
So you were a runner, too, huh? Yes, I ran a 5K a couple of times, plus ran one as part of a sprint triathlon I did in 2004 when we first moved down here. But, I had to train for 12 weeks for that and when I first started the running, I swear I could not run 20 feet without practically dying! Still, I'd love to try to run again. Bet keeping up with that 3 year old granddaughter keeps you in decent shape!
@sunnflr (2767)
I would love to be able to jog. I have tried a few times but my knee usually messes me up. I have torn cartilidge in my left knee and running makes it hurt pretty bad. I have thought lately of trying to jog one more time. My husband loved running in the Army and would like to get back into it. I wish I could do it with him.
Guess we've both been thinking about jogging again. Ooh, your knee sounds a little painful! When I first try to run just 20 or 30 feet, it about kills me, no kidding. But before I did the triathlons I trained for it and was able to run, although it wasn't much fun! Plus, I was not fast at all. It was more like a slow jog.