Garage/rummage sales, open markets: Are you an early bird?

@jillhill (37384)
My neighbors are having a rummage sale in thier garage. I just started a half hour ago and there are tons of people already there! Do you get up early on Saturday mornings to get to rummage sales of Farmers markets? I might go to a rummage sale today because a friend of mine is having one and I will go as a courtesy to her. So are you one that gets up early to find scores of bargains?
@carolbee (16241)
I am just not a shopper or garage sale person. I should take the time to go to garage or rummage sales because there is always something I can use. The only thing I do early on the weekends is go to the casino. Saturday's pay well and I love being there. I have done craft fairs right next to a farmer's market and the sales were good. I enjoyed it so much but haven't gone this year because of the intense heat and rain.
@carolbee (16241)
I did do well this morning. Was fun.
@mands61123 (2098)
i've done carboots before to make money for holidays and stuff it's surprising what sells it's usually the stuff i'd be throwing in the dustbin. I don't go to carboots myself as i have to much junk already i prefer to get rid of it but i am often given stuff by family to use for craft stuff because they'd just be chucking it away and they know i'll find a good use for it. One mans junk is another mans treasure!
@jillhill (37384)
That is sooooooo true!
@cjgrooms (4456)
I love garage sales and such however i am not dragging myself out of bed on a Sat. morning before daylight. When i go, i do try to be at my first one around 10 a.m.
@jillhill (37384)
I am not the early bird either!
@lixiaos77 (1030)
• Shijiazhuang, China
I like to go to the morning market, people sell all kinds of cheap commodities and peasants sell all kinds of vegetables. These are cheap because they needn't to pay the tax. And you should go there before 7:30. My parents go there every morning and buy some vegetables. I can't get up early and sometimes I go to the night market after 19:00.
@jillhill (37384)
Yes.....sometimes the best things are available right away!
@checapricorn (16066)
Hi jillhill, [i]When I am planning about it for the day, I always wake up early to be the first one to dig the treasure! LOL! When I was in our Country, they always start to open at 10 am and we always made to arrive the place before 10 and we have all the patience to wait![/i]
@jillhill (37384)
Wow! You are up and ready! Good for you!
@leenie50 (3992)
Jill I love garage sales. I used to go to them all the time in Ca. There aren't too many around here so I don't usually go. But I or my twin will have one once in a while. Then I have to get up early but if I'm just going to one myself, I'll get there when I get there. It's not like I'm afraid I'll miss something. Farmer's Markets are different. When it comes to produce and other goods like that, you have to get there fairly early to get the best of what they have to offer. Not enough of those near me either!! leenie
@jillhill (37384)
That's too bad. I'd rather go to a farmers market...but I don't buy alot of anything anymore! LOL
@lilybug (21148)
I am never an early bird anywhere. I like to sleep in until the last possible minute. So, of course when it comes to yard sales I miss all the good stuff.
@jillhill (37384)
Maybe not! I did it a couple of summers ago and ended up giving away or throwing some of the stuff I bought as I didn't really need it! LOL
@PearlGrace (3172)
Hi jill. I don't often go to rummage/garage sales, but I used to. I like to drop in to sales that take place in my neighborhood. Otherwise, I usually don't go. I am looking forward to an organic farmers' market that's supposed to open up not far from our house in a few months. I'm not sure what day of the week that will be but I will definitely be going there.
@jillhill (37384)
I have heard that Florida is ahead of most states in the organic produce, and milk. That would for sure be the best to buy. I don't really do the other sales either.....I have enough "stuff"! LOL
@onlydia (2808)
I used to go all the time. Now I don't have the energy for much. I shuld start how ever. It would be fun. I go to thirft stores however when in need of someting.
@jillhill (37384)
Good for you.....being a good shopper.
@Chevee (5915)
That bring back memories, when I was middle aged, my aunt use to take us to yard sales with her because she didn't want to go by herself. She would get us up early in the mornings, we would stop at one of those fast food places and get breakfast and off we go from one place to another shopping and stopping until she got tired and called it a day. When I first started housekeeping I did a lot of rummage sales and flea markets, but now I don't. I would like to but don't have the energy.
@jillhill (37384)
I did it a few years ago too but now have lost interest in them.....i already have too much stuff!
@ellie333 (21029)
Hi Jill, I get up when I wake up and usually the boot sales, garage sales and jumble sales round here are afternoon ones which suit me fine. The morning ones tend to start at 10am so that isn't early really but I do like to get there when they open though. So did you find any bargains today? Ellie :D
@jillhill (37384)
No not today. My neighbors mom just passed away and I stopped by there..man they had tons of material! Her mother was a seamstress! If still sewed I would have picked some up...other wise at my friends house I didn't really look...just stopped by as I kinda knew what she would have on sale.
@babykeka80 (2003)
I really enjoy going to garage sales the problem is most weekends I have to work in the mornings. I have gotten up before and went to garage sales in the past. I hope to get a day off here soon to be able to do that again. I do not have any room to buy anything right now though since we are staying with my mother in law until we get a house. Hopefully, we will be out of here and on our own again real soon and I can go garage saling early one Saturday morning.
@jillhill (37384)
That will be fun to get your own place! Woo Hoo...
@tyc415 (5706)
I have not been to a garage sale in such a long time. When my mother was alive and living with us she and I would go to sales almost every weekend. She would wake me up early so we could get there early. She would always tell me we had to get gone before all the good things were gone. hahaha Oh how I miss those days.
@jillhill (37384)
I bet you do miss those days! I miss my mom too!
@twoey68 (13651)
I used to love to go to them and my Mom and I used to go when I was younger. We'd start off early in the morning and make a day of it. However, now that she's taking care of my Grandma who's bedbound, we don't get to do it anymore. Maybe one day we can do it again. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS**[/b]