Going camping

@Humbug25 (12551)
Next weekend I am off camping for a couple of days with my 3 young boys. It is basically going to be a field where we are allowed to make our own fire so we are therefore going to be cooking outside. I am going with about 10 other families who have all been before. I, however, have never been with my boys. I am wondering what on earth I am going to cook for dinner. I have already got potatoes and sausages on my list but I don't know what else I can possibly cook on an open fire. Does anyone have any good ideas? I am really am at a loss, I don't want to look an idiot infront of all those people. Please,I need your help!!
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Just about anything that you cook at home you can cook over an open fire Humbug. But, I would recommend stews, hash, grills (fried). Wrap silver foil around baking potatoes and leave them in the ashes all day and you'll have a baked potato when you get back. Take a boy/Girl scout too. They know ever trick in the camping book. Bottom line though. Who cares so log as you enjoy yourself.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi p1key I knew you'd get back to me on this one, good ole p1kef1sh!! So what does a boy/girl scout taste like, I've never tried one personally? LOL Someone else said to me to cook anything else I would normally cook at home but I don't see how I can possibly do a lasagne do you? LOL Thanks for your response
@p1kef1sh (45642)
Lasagne is easy! Brown your mince in the usual way. Then take your meat or veg and sauce mix. I would put a layer of sauce mix on the bottom, then lasagne sheets, meat, sheets etc. Top with grated cheese and then put a lid on the pot. Job done as they say.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Yeah ok Mr Ramsay!! LOL
@valeria1 (2724)
That is so nice Hum! You can cook marshmallows, maybe chicken, hamburgers, takes some cooked eggs with you! I really do not know! Sorry for that, but I am just thinking like barbecue! You for sure will have a wonderful time, maybe the other families bring enough food so you do not have to cook at all! LOL, also take bread with you, for sandwichs
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hi valeria1 Yeah definately looking forward to it. Am definately taking bread and marshmallows but hadn't thought about chicken or hamburgers, good idea - thanks. Cheers
@valeria1 (2724)
You are so cute, I miss you! Thank you for the best response!
@wolfie34 (26816)
You could always cheat and find the local Pizza hut or takeaway, ouch sorry bad wolfie! Well believe it or not I was a cub and went camping but the cooking side I hated, I loved the adventure, sleeping beneath the stars and mucking around with the other cubs but when it came to cooking, wolfie scarpered! Sure I would do all the washing up, I was happy at that but not the cooking! I went camping a lot as an adult on my own, 5 weeks up to Scotland with my car and tent and mountain bike, sorry to digress but at night I used to buy myself sandwiches during the day or go out for a meal, but hey that's cheating! Barbecue is your answer and there's always jacket potatoes very healthy and full of vits and minerals etc! Toast if you get desperate, I think your boys will enjoy it because to them it's one big adventure, enjoy my friend! And never worry what other people may think, nothing to do with them! Oooops just realize you have already been and gone! What is wrong with me today, away with the pixies I think. Hope you had fun, I am sure you had fun!
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hey there wolfie34 I dunno what cub pack you were with but my mum was an Akaela and the cubs never went near anything to do with any cooking. I asked her about this because I used to have to go with her (which I loved doing) but I didn't remember how we got by with all the cooking. She said that we (the cubs and us) always camped where there were facilities to cook, go to the toilet, wash and stuff. We did build a campfire at night time to sing around and were allowed to get a stick and put this stuff on the end of it that was made from flour and water like a dough and cook that over the fire but that was it. I remember making biverwaks in the woods and getting well mucky, it was great fun! Cheers for the response PS We did have a great thanks