A Discussion for Menopausal and Post-Menopausal Women - I NEED TO VENT!!!!!

@jerzgirl (8013)
Gloucester City, New Jersey
How many of you, while you are or were going through the menopause process, had or have a problem with extremely heavy bleeding - blood that comes out so fast and so heavy when you stand that there's no way a simple pad can catch it and it simply pours out of you, down your legs, all over the floor, leaving a trail before you can even get 15 feet to the bathroom???Have any of you had this happen while you were at work??? Yeah - I did!! All over the office chair and the brand new carpeting they'd laid only a week earlier. Yeah - tell me I was happy. Well, I haven't had a period for a year now - it has been MORE than wonderful, believe me!!! It has truly been the ONLY thing I looked forward to in getting older!! But, was it content to leave ME content?? HELLZ NO!!! Since 9PM last night, I have had TWO BLEED OUTS, have changed night clothes and underwear twice, had to take a shower the second time, wiped up the bathroom floor and now have to clean the carpeting in the hallway. I have gone through all but one pad that I had left from past periods (which weren't bad towards the end after being controlled by birth control pills for a year) and I now have to make it until the store opens so I can go buy more. I don't even want to go out and there's no one I can ask, that I know of. I am so angry at my body right now!!! I feel like it betrays me when it does this!!! I have no insurance because I have no job, so I can't have any medical procedures done to resolve this problem (there is one they discussed doing, but until I'm insured again, it just isn't going to happen). I'm my mother's caretaker and I DON'T NEED things like this happening!!! I JUST DON'T!!! So - have you dealt with this kind of thing? How did you do it? Did your doctor help you? Did you have family who could help you by going out and getting supplies if you got hit by a day like this? Tell me how you handled this when it happened to you. Did or does it make you as angry as it does me?
@ElicBxn (60884)
Oh, sweetie, how horrid! I know it sounds disgusting, but you can use towels - old disgusting towels if you have them - to try and hold it while you go out. This is what was used before the first world war when the nurses discovered ANOTHER use for pressure bandages!
@jerzgirl (8013)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Yeah - 'twas loads of fun, believe me. What I ended up using was some incontinence pants (like Pull-ups for adults) that I cut the sides open like diapers. They had been bought for my mother when she was in the hospital and bedridden for about a week - she refused to use them, so we still had them. They worked well with a pair of underwear pulled up over them to hold them in place. Then the adjustment tabs on the sides I used to wrap them up when I changed to make them "neater" in the trash. I was happy to remember that we had them because they are very absorbent and plenty wide so there is no spillage. Yes, gross. My mother used to make her own back in the 30s, then they'd wash them and hang them out. Yeah - can you see anyone doing that now? They get offended if SHEETS are on the line, let alone something like that. But, I have used towels before - I hate it, but I have used them.
@ElicBxn (60884)
when I get sick I "leak" when I cough - I was both sick and bleeding - those were wonderful - I had just had a few from when I had surgery and my sister suggested them - I now keep some around the house - just in case - and I wear them when I'm sick - I'd rather be dry then pride.
@pyewacket (44036)
OMG jerzgirl, that sounds horrible. I can't give you any advice about this as fortunately I've never had this problem. When I did get my periods they were often heavy especially the first three days, but never anything like what you're going through. I no longer get my periods so in my "crone" days...LOL I do remember as I was "winding"down though, I would get my periods..it would by then only last a few days, end and then a week later get it again. Also, unlike most women, I don't even suffer from hot flashes or sweats, nor have horrible mood swings I sure wish there was some way you could get some kind of medical help but as you say you have no medical insurance which sucks big time...can you by any chance apply for Medicaid???
@jonesy123 (3950)
I'm not old enough for that yet, but I can tell you I would be beyond angry. But this is not the first time I heard this. My mom tells this story. I was a late child for my parents. My mom got one of these extreme bleedings when we were on vacation. I was just maybe two or three. My brother about twelve/thirteen. He saw it happen and went straight into the nearest pharmacy. I have no idea how he conveyed what he needed because we were on vacation in Italy and he only spoke German and a little school English, lol. But my mom said, he came out within a couple of minutes with pads and a towel for her to cover up. I hope you are well supplied with everything you need now and that this episode is over and wont' return again. Surely is unfair that we women have to go through this...
@jerzgirl (8013)
• Gloucester City, New Jersey
Yeah - I know what you mean. I was a late child as well. Mom was in menopause by the time I was in 1st grade, but she never had mood swings or hot flashes or crazy periods. She just stopped having them. I had hoped I'd inherit that from her, but like the cooking gene, I didn't get the easy menopause gene either!! Thanks for your response!!