What is going on in New York?

@ersmommy1 (12605)
This is just unbelievable to me. What is going on? Why are these numbers so different there than in the rest of the country? People are doing or not doing something off the charts.New York's HIV rate 3 times higher than nation's.New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.The agency estimates that 72 of every 100,000 New Yorkers -- a total of 4,800 individuals -- contracted HIV in 2006, more than triple the national rate of 23 per 100,000. I think this is scary.
@sarazeng (221)
hi ersmommy1! seems US HIV rate "higher than thought"! But the CDC said the rise was due to improved detection methods, rather than increase in infections. Is it true?
@ersmommy1 (12605)
I think that could have something to do with it. But why then just single out New York? Scary anyhow.
Statistics would indicate that if you collect data from enough towns one or another will be higher, even unusually higher, in some way. :) But your question is why this statistic exists in this town. I don't know, but it does seem rather scary. I'm guessing once a few guys with HIV move into town. They are irresponsible people and spread their infection. Now there is a growing problem.
@lilybug (21182)
I have no idea what is going on in New York that is making their numbers so much higher, but Remind me to stay out of New York. Those are some pretty scary numbers.
@katsmeow1213 (28927)
That's most likely due to the fact that NY has a higher population than the majority of the other states of the country. NY city in and of itself having the most population of the state, and much of it is poverty. BTW, I'm a New Yorker but I live in the central area of the state, about 5 hours from NY city.