Freudian slips - Ever went to speak and then it comes out embarassingly wrong?

@James72 (26832)
Australia
Surely many of us have gone to say something to someone but because we are looking at or thinking about something else at the same time, the word we MEANT to say comes out wrong! I have said "breast" instead of "best" for obvious reasons once! lol. Share your own embarassing examples of this and give us all a good laugh!
Well... mmmm... now when did I last make a fool of myself? I guess I wrote something idiotic in my kannada notes book that made half the class laugh. I have to do some translation, and I hope I don't wreck the beauty of it. Actually, I should have written, "She lay the child on the bed to sleep." Instead, I wrote, "She lay her husband on the bed to sleep." I still don't feel like laughing at it. But they all had a gala time passing my notes book around. Oh yea, this happened years ago. ;) Cheers and happy mylotting
@James72 (26832)
But maybe she was just a sharing and caring wife and DID lay her husband down to sleep? lol. I have not actually heard Kannada spoken before. Gujurati, Marathi, Punjabi and Hindi yes; but not Kannada. You may not have found it so funny but at least you got to entertain the troops for a while! Thanks for responding and happy mylotting to you as well.
Kannada? Wow... you learn so many things!
@James72 (26832)
I lived and worked in India for a year before Egypt Mr Wizard! Sarcastic tonight are we?
@Munchkin547 (2779)
This is gonna sound really wierd, but i'm laughing just thinking about it! A few months ago i was watching a show om tv about a man that ate roadkill. Some kids got his phone number and started making prank calls to him. One of the called and said - in a really funny voice - "you ate my puppy, puppy sucker!" it relly amused me, and i called my friend to tell her to watch it but she couldn't understand what i was saying because i was laughing so much so i decided to text her instead, so i repeated what had been saidm thinking i'd written "you ate my puppy, puppy sucker" i sent the message. it was only after a little while when i received a very confused response that i realised it had gone wrong, i looked in my sent messages and realised that in my phone;s predictive text, puppy comes up as p*ssy!!! Had a hard time explaining that to her but she ended up laughing even harder than i had in the first place!! hehe xxx
@James72 (26832)
Oh no! lol. I don't know which one is actually worse..... Having to explain your way out of the text message to your friend or some guy eating roadkill! The P and the S are on the same number on the phone keypad so at least you had a good excuse! lol. Thanks for responding.
@tarachand (3895)
There is a saying in Marathi and Hindi (both Indian dialects) that rewards the bearer of good tidings with "Ghee and Sugar in your mouth". "Tere moonha main Ghee shakkar'.Now, we had an all branch meeting in another city and we were in the middle of lunch when an assistant brought good news which she conveyed to me softly. Joyous, I cried out 'Tere moonha main Ghoo Shakkar", much to the horror of all those seated around the table and having lunch with me. ("Sh*it and Sugar in your mouth!" Now this assistant has been spreading some slanted rumors about me and trying to create a bad impression about me, and this was something that I'd found out just minutes before we sat down for our lunch, and though I didn't mean to speak the words I did, I did inadvertently blurb them out. Well, I shared the good news with my friends and apologized for my boo-boo and then we all had a good laugh at the expense of the assistant. I know that sounds wicked or pathetic, but such people don't last too long in our company that has been built on trust and faith in each other.
@tarachand (3895)
I did it again and this time in writing - that should be blurt...... not blurb....
@James72 (26832)
I have to admit that I could not have asked for more! A freudian slip example AND an actual slip in your post itself! lol. Well bhai, I know of Marathi so am assuming you are Mumbai based or somewhere in Maharashtra? This example is very funny also. I would have been laughing extremely hard if I had heard the same! Crying out something like this and then getting to put this assistant in their place all on the same day is an interesting turn of events! Thanks for responding to my discussion.
@nengs10 (3189)
I have experienced this kind of scenario when I was in the university back then. It was funny and would surely make all the people around you laugh. That's also good since we are learning in some ways. Enjoy.
@James72 (26832)
It is always far less embarassing if we are at least able to laugh along with the people around us when something like this happens! Thanks for responding.
@DonnaLawson (4032)
On my last job I had a huge box of paper towels to take from the basement to put out on the floor of the store.. At the time the boxes were stacked pretty high along a wall in the basement and the paper towels were located right in the middle of the other boxes about halfway up the wall with others stacked on the top.. We had a "cutesy, cutesy" security guard working with us and he was in the basement when I was trying to get the box out of the huge stack.. Without thinking, I told him, "If he would get it out, I would get it up".. I never thought anything about it until he started laughing so hard he almost choked, only then did I realize what I had said.. I thought that I would die of embarrassment and he never let me forget it..
@James72 (26832)
How embarassing! Thank goodness he had a sense of humour! I am not surprised that he didn't let you forget this one in a hurry! The subconscious mind can really put us in some awkward situations sometimes. Thanks for responding and I hope you at least got to finish off the stack of paper towels!
@sabbatha (287)
The other day I was on the phones at work and had to make an announcment that a customer's car was ready . We have to repeat announcement twice. First time I got it out right but the second time it came out as "John Doe please report to TLE your customer is ready", instead of "your car is ready". My friend came out of the back and said that all the stock room employees had a good laugh back there over that. So glad I could amuse them...lol
@James72 (26832)
Maybe he thought that there was a special promotion on? Get your car done and get a free customer! lol. At least your slip got some great air time over a loudspeaker! Most of us only get face to face exposure..... ha ha. Thanks for responding.
@Chevee (5915)
I remember once I was at our church conference, and I had to make the report for the usher board. Everybody else made their financial report, this is the way it went. I would like to make the report for the deacons, report of $275.00 dollars plus conference cost of $25.00. This is what I said.....I would like to make the report for the usher board $300.00 plus $25.00 Court cost. And the pastor had a nerve to say I see somebody had to go to court. I could have went through the floor. I had court on my mind, because my son had gone to court I went with him and was upset at the whole thing, so court was on my mind.
@James72 (26832)
What a nice Pastor! I hope that the collection bin got a little less than usual from you the next time around! lol. Our minds can certainly betray us at the most inopportune moments sometimes..... Thank you for responding to my discussion.
Hello James, Weren't we just talking about this the other day? I think we all have our share of Freudian slips. But sometimes, they are just pure typo and I wouldn't really call it Freudian. Occasionally, it may be the spell check that is messing things up!
@James72 (26832)
Yes we were in a sense! All stemming from my "Compliment/complement" typo that you so kindly drew attention to! lol. But this is in relation to verbal slip-ups..... I agree that when it comes to the spoken word we all have at least one experience of it. Typos are definitely FAR more common. Especially for me towards the end of the day! Thanks for responding and check for typos in THIS reply mate...... Check it! lol.
But if we are talking about the spoken word, slips are harder to spot. Many words while spelled differently sound the same or almost the same. Sometimes, the person may even be pronouncing the right word but you just couldn't understand his accent or he is just used to pronouncing it a different way.
@James72 (26832)
I agree with you on this one. Accents can play a big part and even people speaking the same language can say the same word differently and it can be misheard as a result. It's much more fun when we DO catch a slip though! lol.
@Cannonball (3639)
• France
Haha You know what this even happens to me when I chat on these messenger and I suppose this also happened to me once in myLot. Well I have a friend here in my hometown a girl and we've always been friends for years now and this happened to both of us to change a word with another and it turns to be something really revelant so its kind embarassing
@James72 (26832)
Oh! Making a slip on messenger can be EXTRA embarassing because there ends up being written proof! At least if you say something by mistake you can deny it! lol. Maybe you and this hometown girl have a connection? Stranger things have happened! Thanks for responding.
• France
What is written can't be erased right hihi. So well,in that case I'll find myself correcting my words when such thing happen. Maybe yeah something happens with this girl but we've been friends for something like 10 years now and we both don't wanna lose it, Well you know it wouldn't be a problem if we get romantic but maybe its kinda different for her
@James72 (26832)
Thats very true, written words CAN'T be covered up or explained away as easily as spoken words and are a permanent record! It sounds like you are lucky to have such a close friend for so long and who knows what the future may bring? All the best!
I usually say something similar but usually my mistake is making the f sounds like a p in a word and its really embarrassing especially when you are talking to someone in a position in the company.
@James72 (26832)
My wife does the same sometimes and it does become quite funny on occasions. English is her second language and the F and P sounds present some challenges! Thanks for responding and feep peeling happy on mylot! lol.