It is so frustrating when there are delays in your flights...

@reinydawn (11649)
During our vacation a couple weeks ago, half of our flights were delayed for one reason or another. Leaving BWI and going to Las Vegas was on time and uneventful. We had a layover in Las Vegas to Ontario California for about an hour and a half - I have no idea why. This wasn't too great because it was a late flight to start with - from 9:50 to like 11:10 or something. Then when we were leaving Vegas to come back to BWI we were first delayed about an hour because they wouldn't let our plane land for us because of lighting. Once they let it land, we couldn't take off for another hour or so because of the lighting again. By this time the entire airport was backed up and once they let planes take off the line was just outrageous! So we're waiting in line when our pilot is told that Phoenix - where we're making a pitstop to let people off and more on - is not letting plans land because the storm has moved over there. We were about 3 1/2 hours late taking off - most of this spent on the plane waiting. We were supposed to get in around midnight, but ended up getting in around 3am. We did call the people picking us up and told them we'd take the shuttle home! That was such a horrible experience. I know that the airlines didn't have any control over it, but it still wasn't fun.
@maximax8 (27943)
When I was 14 I went on holiday to Greece with my mum. We took a boat to Athens looked round and then went to the airport. It was packed out with many passengers. There weren't any seats left and so we just had to sit on the floor. It was hours before we could check in and then fly off home eventually. When I was 19 I went on holiday to St Lucia with my mum. Our plane was delayed by four hours because Customs and Excise wanted to give the plane a detailed search. I was so tired by the time we boarded the plane. The colorful seats and Caribbean music woke me up a bit. The flight was over ten hours and we saw the sunset as we arrived a the airport in St Lucia. In the darkness we traveled by mini bus to our hotel and we were bitten by mosquitoes. I went to Israel and when I got to the airport I got a shock. Every person was being interviewed before being allowed to check in. There was a really long line of people waiting for this and I was worried about missing my flight. It was frustrating to see the check in desk and not to be able to get to it. I was nervous when it came to my turn. I got some difficult questions like name everywhere I had stayed. I hopped around a lot so I couldn't remember. I was taken off to a room and they did a very detailed search of my luggage. Afterwards they said sorry because I was just an innocent traveler. I didn't get a window seat and I nearly missed my flight. Sometimes in really bad weather flights are canceled like in November 2005 when I was booked to fly to Cancun in Mexico. A hurricane hit the Mexican coast and so my flight was canceled and I got a full refund. I desperately wanted to go to a tropical location and jumped at the chance when I was offered a flight to Male in the Maldives. I booked that on the spur of the moment. I got a travel guide book and was horrified to see how expensive accommodation was there. I went there and stayed in three different places and got an internal flight. It was a pricey trip. To save money I flew to the Seychelles with a Kenyan airline. I had a long lay over in Nairobi on my homeward flight. I went shopping for souvenirs and the airport lounge there wasn't all that comfortable.
@reinydawn (11649)
Wow!! You have been a lot of places! I'm sure you've seen a ton of delays too!
@greenline (14864)
Yes, I had gone through those a few times too. Very frustrating , especially when you have to get on to a connecting flight ! No doubt, the airlines tried to do as best they could !
@reinydawn (11649)
I am so glad we didn't have connecting flights! There were people that did and it was a nightmare for them.
@twallace (2675)
I don't fly and just reading your story of what happened makes me not want to fly. That had to be a pain to wait to fly and then having to make pit stops for other on board. I know you were heated, but at least it finally took off and you were on your way. I know that when this happens they have plenty of people that are not pleased when they can't get answers of when they are going to leave. I know that you were glad when you got home. Have a good one.
@reinydawn (11649)
Oh we were so glad to be home! And I know it was for our own safety that we were delayed. Flying isn't really that bad, normally we get right on the plane, it takes off, we land and we're on our merry way. I'm glad it doesn't happen often, or we might not fly too much either!
@KUSHANK55 (2437)
hi reinydawn better late than never!!.never take things for granted!!these are for your covenience , and do not depend on them !!
@reinydawn (11649)
Oh, I know it was with our safety in mind that they were delaying things. It's just frustrating - especially when you're already tired. Things turned out all right though - I just went to work about 4 hours late!