Is it true that eating ice can destroy your child's teeth?

Singapore
My 19-month old daughter likes to suck on ice. I don't understand why. Maybe with our warm climate, ice melting down her throat is refreshing for her. Sometimes, she bites on them. Someone told me that I should not let her eat ice because it can ruin her teeth. Another said that eating ice can cause her to cough. But that has been proven to be unfounded. My daughter did not have any cough when she eats ice. So I want to know. Is it true that eating ice can ruin her teeth? Or is it some stupid myth? If it can ruin her teeth, please tell me how. I'm hoping some dentist or anyone with personal experience or expert knowledge would help answer this question.
@bombshell (11266)
hi there,i dont think its true.when my little girl was under one year old,she loves to eat ice but so far she has the best teeth so dont believed that.its the line of the blood also has not a good teeth .just like the pacifier they said it ruins the mouth or teeth but why is that kids are not using pacifier has ruined the teeth and mouth?agree or disagree?...
Surely there are many reasons why some kids have their teeth ruined and I'm trying to pinpoint whether ice could be a cause here. Thank you for bringing in personal experience for this one! Really appreciate it.
@bombshell (11266)
thank you and enjoy your day with your little one.
@aimseeker (113)
• Pakistan
well i think its true....anything sweet such as toffees can destroy teeth of ur child....as much as i kow ....i think it destroys some kind of protecting shield on the teeth....its true about sweets but i think the same hold for ice-cream..
BUt toffees and ice cream has sugar and will cause cavities. But ice is just water. Did you get this information from a dentist?
@checapricorn (16066)
[i]Hi Sydney, I have no idea really but too much of everything for sure is not healthy...Like too much cold for her gums...This is just a guess, wish you will get a great tips and words from dentist around![/i]
You may be right. How I wish there is a dentist around to be able to solve this matter. I really want to know whether the cold ice is bad for my daughter's teeth or gums or whatever.
@Sillychick (3279)
I don't believe ice is harmful to teeth unless she bites it. It is very hard, and I have heard it can damage teeth by chipping them when biting. But sucking on it should be fine. It is just frozen water, so it doesn't cause cavities. It just may be uncomfortable on sensitive teeth because it is so cold. Your daughter probably enjoys the cold, refreshing effect when it is warm. She may also be teething, and the ice would certainly relieve the discomfort from that. Just watch her because she could choke. If you are still uncertain, ask your dentist the next time you are there.
That's exactly what I thought. Ice is just water, so how could it harm the teeth. She really likes it. Sometimes when she cries, I offer her ice and she would stop crying instantly and smile. Her back teeth are not fully out yet, maybe ike you said wants some comfort for her teething teeth. I always make sure that she takes a tiny piece each time and I always watch her so she won't choke. Thanks for responding. Will check with dentist next time.
@patgalca (14649)
• Orangeville, Ontario
A 19-month old may choke on ice but as far as ruining her teeth, I doubt it. Especially since she doesn't even have her adult teeth in. When you are in the hospital in labour they give you ice to chew on. I doubt it is harmful to the teeth. It's those big sugary hard candies that are harmful to your teeth and that is mainly because or the sugar.
I do watch closely when she is eating her ice, make sure that she does not pop a big chunk into her mouth. Anyway, I give her a tiny piece each time so whe will not choke. Thanks for responding Pat!
@Sheepie (3118)
Try telling her not to bite down on it too much. I've never heard of any harm being done this way, just make sure she drinks milk to keep her teeth strong.
She still drinks her regular milk. But once a day, she would ask for ice. We don't give her much either, 2-3 tiny pieces. I don't give her all day.
@NonaSaile (926)
Hi Sydney! My niece, when she was a toddler also loved ice. She also sucked on it, bit on it, crunched on it like it was candy. She outgrew it. No damage done at all. I just made sure she visited the dentist regularly. She grew up with a nice set of teeth.
Thank you for bringing on your personal experience. I know she wil outgrow this habit soon too. But for now, I'm trying to tell people that it's not harmful.
@James72 (26829)
I am not aware of this myself? Aside from possibly chipping baby teeth on hard ice or something like this I can't see how it would be damaging? I too am now interested to see if there might be a Dentist as a mylot member who can answer this once and for all! Let's see.....
Hi James, so far there is no dentist here yet but I'm still wishful. Many mylotters have mentioned that it's not harmful, apart from chipping teeth possibly. Other than that, I really do not know. Must ask my dentist next time I visit. Thanks for responding.
@clp2006 (163)
Eating ice causes cavities!
@patgalca (14649)
• Orangeville, Ontario
Sugar causes cavities, not water. Ice is just frozen water!
That's what I thought too. Ice is merely water. So where did this myth come from?