Planning your Meals

Do you plan your meals each week or do you just go with the flow and eat whatever you can find?
@peedielyn (1211)
I have four little ones pretty much on a regular basis. We try to make out a weekly plan, and give and take whatever depending on who is staying the night with who, or who has band, ballet, baseball and so on. If we keep this budgeted, it helps when we are in a pinch for something else. I did find out that when I plan the meals ahead of time, I can look them up for carbs or fats of some sorts. I have out of the 4, 2 overweight children. It's all in genetics but eating a bunch of junk doesn't help either.
That is great to hear that you do that for your children, my sister has an overweight child and lets her eat whatever she wants, which isn't helping her self esteem or helping her to learn about nutrition.
@peedielyn (1211)
The coolest part about the way I am doing it, it that they just don't know about it. They like what I make and substituting can be fun. You can make the most complicated thing so simple!!
we make a weekly meal plan... now that doesnt mean we eat what i planned that day it just helps us stay on budget and for me to know we have enough food to get us through the week... so depending on what the day is like or if someone is working late we will look at the menu and pick something... it seems to work pretty well for us...
Thats a great idea!
@Grudee (66)
• Thailand
We make a shopping list every day in the night. Our plan is depend on the like and dislike of our members within our daily limit budget. We rarely go out with the flow since it is highly possible to pay more than expected.
Wow you make a list every night! That is great! I need to do something like that instead of waiting till the last minute and trying to remember everything I need.
In the morning I make a decision of what we are going to eat that night. I start by looking in the pantry then by looking in the cookbooks. I tend to find something pretty easily. I'll also make something up with ingredients that sound like they'd go well together. Makes me feel like a chef! :)
LOL, I know I like to make Speghetti and add in Zucchini and mushrooms in my sauce tastes so good, I feel like a real cook then because I added something that wasnt already in the jar! LOL
@zeny_zion (1284)
not really, cause were just two who will eat. my daughters loves chicken, any style of cooking for as long as its chicken. hahaha . i do vegetables on the side.
@lilybug (21182)
I don't really make a meal plan. I tried for a little while, but I found myself straying from the meal plan so often it seemed like a waste of time for me to do it to begin with. I normally decide what I am making for dinner that day or sometimes the night before. Today I had no idea what I was making until 30 minutes before dinner.
I always plan my meals on a weekly basis. It is easier that way. I can go to the grocery without missing anything, because everything I need for the week is listed. I also dont panic because when its time to cook, all i have to do is look at my weekly plan on the fridge, and i am good to go.
@sunshine4 (8710)
I use to be so organized, but lately I have slacked off. I use to make a menu on the weekend for the following week. I would make a grocery list for all the meals for the week and follow the menu I had made up. It actually helped cut down on groceries and spontaneous eating out. Lately I have been more unorganized and have been slacking off. Now I am going with the flow. My kids have football everynight so I wait to see who has what and when they are home and then decide what to make for dinner.
@eagle_f15 (2054)
I do plan our meals at home not for the whole week but for just the next day or two. If it's errand day, the day where my husband and I would go out doing errands then probably we would buy take away or just eat out. If we are at home then I would cook which is most of the time as we both work from home and planning meals are quite easy as there are only the two of us with no kids yet.
@Erin88 (348)
I wish I was organized enough to plan my meals ahead. I tend to buy groceries and make whatever sounds good that I have around. I try to experiment and make different meals. Lately I have been making a lot of pasta and changing the types of sauces.