Turn off the lights please, the press is blinding US

@taface412 (3177)
Alrighty mylotters I have a mission for you. I would like to actually discuss some political issues. So whether you are Democrats, Independents, Republican please state your actual reasons and how the candidate is planning on addressing those issues specifically. From your own experinces of watching them speak, reading their words. Because right now I am set on my vote, but I do realize that between the parties and the press we are only being fed tid bits of info. And after having posted my thoughts on a certain bill introduced on another discussion post of my own and in response to others as well, I have not received much info from others concerning this matter of importance to the Nation. So don't tell me what you heard about their personal lives. Let's show the press and everyone else who thrives on it that we are a little more intelligent than that. Let's face facts and discuss them as united States citizens who are preparing to fulfill their civic duty.
@ClarusVisum (2163)
The following was not copy-pasted from anywhere. It's original, came from me, and was written here first. *** I am voting for Obama because his tax plan is exactly what this country needs. He wants to give tax breaks to 95% of working families, the people who are struggling thanks to the broken economy, and brings the upper 3%'s taxes back to where they were during the Clinton years (in which the U.S. had its largest economic expansion in its history). I am voting for Obama because his foreign policy is exactly what this country needs. He understands that invading Iraq was wrong, and understood that it was wrong from the start. He wants to get our troops out of there, but responsibly, supporting a timetable that Iraqi leaders firmly agreed with (so much so that even Bush has succumbed to the idea presently). Again, this is a point in which Obama took a stance that turned out to be the right choice, which shows good judgment and clear thinking. Obama will not saber-rattle or engage in 'cowboy diplomacy', as he knows, and we all know, that you don't properly deal with enemies, much less turn them into neutral forces or even allies, by constantly threatening them and throwing your weight around. He understands what it means to be a true statesman. I am voting for Obama because his energy policy is exactly what this country needs. He sees gimmicky non-solutions for what they are, seeing right through the "gas tax holiday" and other such nonsense as the non-solutions they are. He understands that "drill here, drill now" is not the way to reduce our dependence on oil, and has consistently voted to develop alternate energy sources, which is the only real way we could hope to break the oil cartel's grip on us. When it comes to more conventional energy sources, he understands that, if at all possible, work should be done to come up with a solution for the storage of nuclear waste before putting more eggs in that basket--he doesn't feel it's responsible for us to just toss it all into Yucca and forget about it. I am voting for Obama because his attitude is exactly what this country needs. He doesn't like the kind of politics we've all gotten used to--character assassination and pointless bickering on irrelevant things. He doesn't condescend to the general public; he talks to them like adults, and focuses on issues when he speaks. He refuses to engage in the kind of mudslinging politicians have become infamous for, and shows respect for his opponent despite their ideological differences. He is very willing to defend his ideas, but is not so stubborn that he ignores all contrary opinions. He looks for common ground and understands that it's the perfect starting point for a post-partisan U.S.A. For the past eight years, the American public, Obama included, have seen what's been going on, and they have been paying attention. Obama knows that we are better than this, that we can do better than this, and that so much more can be accomplished when we come together to achieve our common goals. That is why I'm voting for Barack Obama for President in 2008.
@taface412 (3177)
His foreign policy states his intentions quite clearly. This intention is to sell out the US to the UN. So does he think we will do better when those tax cuts he says will happen, don't happen IF he becomes president especially when he will be signing off on this bill (he sponsored) IF it comes across his desk that requires a tax increase that will not stay here but will be under the control of the UN. The US already has been quite active in foreign aid.
"His foreign policy states his intentions quite clearly. This intention is to sell out the US to the UN." Cite the part of his foreign policy that led you to that conclusion, please. "especially when he will be signing off on this bill (he sponsored) IF it comes across his desk that requires a tax increase that will not stay here but will be under the control of the UN." Again, cite the part of the Global Poverty Act that "requires a tax increase that...will be under the control of the UN". Or just save us both some time and admit you're lying, as you know you are (since I already corrected you, linking you to the Act itself).
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
the contribution alone will require the tax increase. it's enormous. Have you seen the bill?
@rodney850 (2145)
Taface, Great discussion topic! I have read about your concerns about the bill in congress right now that would commit billions if not trillions of dollars to the world community and be under the control of the UN (they did such a good job of the Oil for Food program didn't they)! I have discussed this before here on MyLot with the usual detractors saying it was not a big deal. BUT it IS a big deal and we as Americans need to write our congressmen and senators and tell them we don't want the UN or anyone else telling us how to spend our money! America ALREADY gives a tremendous amoount of money to poverty stricken countries and millions of people across America give voluntarily of their time and rescources to these various causes. This new initiative is un-needed and un-warranted especially in a time of economic upheaval here in our country! As far as issues go, my two pet peaves are the socialized medicine BHO proposes and the so called "tax breaks" he will give the poor and middle class! First, they are oxymorons to each other because he absolutely can't do both! If he gets socialized healthcare there is no place for taxes to go but up, and that would be for everyone, not just the rich! If he cuts taxes, well there goes the socialized healthcare! Don't get me wrong, I am ALL FOR cutting taxes! I make a modest 45+ thousand dollars per year and the plus allows for working some overtime and my wife makes about the same. We don't in anyway consider ourselves rich or even in the upper portion of the middle class, but the Bush tax-cuts absolutely HELPED us! Did they help some people who are more well-to-do than us? Probably! Do I care? Of course not! Are they not Americans also? Did they not make their money honestly with hard work and sacrifice just like I did? To say you are going to tax the "rich" and give to the "poor" is communistic/socialistic to the core and not only promotes apathy but also encourages big business to cut-back, lower wages and move to friendlier geography!
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Great rod, another big issue for me. Our national sovierngty. We are the United states of america, not the United states of plant earth. To put it in childish terms, "the u.n. aint the boss of me". I'm all for helping out the world where we can, I'm not an isolationsit and we do in fact give trillions in aid to the world. But for that to become mandated is a whole other issue. This is a law that by congressional decree, give the U.N. authority over our economic decisions and affairs, and honestly, it's non of the U.N.'s damnn business
@taface412 (3177)
Rodney, my father is the one who mentioned this particular bill to me months ago when he did write to our state Senator Bunning in reference to this. And the response letter did state the concerns of it. And that is when I pulled it up myself for a good read and re read. LOL And also when I have brought it up here on the Lot many have brought up how it is no big deal...and most actually have told me no where in the bill does it state that the US will be required to allocate foreign aid... ANyhow. Thank you so much it is encouraging others are taking this serious and are reading it....beyond the humanitarian aspects of it. I don't buy into the modern day Robin hood(winking) that is being spread. My issues also include healthcare as I currently have none. And I do not want it to be a government run healthcare system.....
@xfahctor (14111)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you thank you! Ok, By far the BIGGEST issue for me is state sovierngty and federal government intrusion in to state afairs, territory and law. With this is the ammount of federal government that is created, through laws, programs, madates and just the general feeling that in order to make things better, we need more of all the above. If creating more of the above has so far made things worse by the hour, why would continuing to make more eventualy make things better? It hasn't worked yet, what magical moment are people waiting for to occur? The economy goes bad, we create more regulations and programs to "stimulate" things and bail iresponsable people and corperations out....things get worse, so we do it some more hoping it makes things better...it gets worse. Accidents happen, people do stupid things, what do we do? Create laws to protect stupid people from themselves.....people find more ways to be stupid......eventualy you have so many laws that no reasonable person can live any kind of reasonable life with out breaking laws. We will run out of laws to make LONG before we ever run out of stupid people. Something offends someone....what is the first thing we do? We create laws to eliminate the offensive word, symbol, action, thought, etc.....people become resentful, take verbal action, thought, word, etc....people are offended by this so we create more laws banning more offensive things, thoughts, symbols, etc. A group, race, se-xual orientation feels discriminated....what do we do? We create laws designed to "even the playing field" and laws requireing quotas of certian races, groups, gender's etc....people get resentfull....people speak out....the groups get more offended and feel more slighted so we create more laws. This is the core of what I look for in an election. Who's ideology is in line with mine, who is interested in dwonsizing the ammount of federal influence in my state, life, family, day to day existence.
• Kottayam, India
you have to read behind lines