Digital Cameras - Luxury or a Necessity?

@yuna15 (2707)
When my daughter was born I didn't have my own camera, but at least my in-laws was able to take pictures of her when she was a newborn after three months I bought a regular camera temporarily so I can at least take pictures of her as she grows. When I moved to our new home, we didn't have a lot of things yet including a sofa. For me it was difficult to choose between buying a digital camera or a sofa. I had to choose the sofa because we need something to sit on. Luckily, I have a credit card and a cash from a reimbursement so I was able to buy both. For me a digital camera is also a part of my necessity because the moments that you can capture with it at ANY TIME can never be brought back at all. I think it only becomes a luxury if you want something expensive that doesn't fit your needs. So for you is a digital camera a luxury or a necessity? and why?
@jpso138 (7869)
Well in my case it is more of a necessity considering that I conduct trainings and part of the program is to document the trainings most especially the return demonstration aspect. I do have a camera for such use. It is not that expensive but it basically does serve its purpose.
@yuna15 (2707)
Sounds interesting. What's your job? Are you a trainer? That is if you don't mind me asking...
@ratyz5 (7829)
Hey yuna15, As you have mentioned, anybody could probably agree that capturing moments in our lives into photographs can be considered as a necessity. It would only become a luxury when we go and spend too much like buying things that we don't really get to use at a daily basis.
@yuna15 (2707)
I'm actually planning to get a newer one because the one I about, it had a problem with the video part. The service center is unable to fix it. Tsk tsk. It will take some time though before I can get a new one...waaah. Thanks for the response!
@ratyz5 (7829)
Hmmm, I don't know about multi-featured gadgets. I mean, yeah, you can use it upon what the situation demands but, as multi-featured gadgets also lack would be its focus capability. Not the focus wherein things go clear on the lens but, the ability of the gadget to deliver the performance that you need it for. One of the things that you have to consider would be battery life, if its drained, all those features are rendered useless. Somehow separate gadgets with different purposes seems alright. A multi-featured gadget that could take photos well doesn't necessarily mean that it can also take good quality videos. Of course, exemptions would be for those known brands of gadgets around the market. Well, just like to mention that out of a whim. Hope that you get that fixed or get to buy a more better gadget, or why not both if possible?
@yuna15 (2707)
I'd really love to get both but unfortunately I can't afford it. I might try to get a video camera in the future...
@balasri (26553)
It has become the necessity as not to miss the exiting moments which you won't be knowing when will happen in your day to day life.
@yuna15 (2707)
Exactly! Exciting moments in life are priceless!
@balasri (26553)
@rsa101 (14878)
• Quezon City, Philippines
Yeah Digital cams are such a fad this days that it is becoming a must in every family. Before having those camera is just an additional expense since you have to buy film over and over again to keep your memories intact. But with the dawn of Digital cams around, taking pictures is just easy as it is stored digitally which you can keep on your PC of stored in many storage devices that before it was onyl on Negative films which may cost you developing it. Nowadays if you have a good photo printer you can print the pictures you want and discard those that you don't want. Before it would depend upon the studio to print it.
@yuna15 (2707)
Oh my mom, even if it's expensive to take pictures before she never stopped taking pictures of us! That's why you will loads of pictures at my Mom's house. I will probably just scan all of them but it might take a month before I can finish them lol.
@rsa101 (14878)
• Quezon City, Philippines
Your mom must have loved taking pictures then that's why.
@carinio98 (2935)
hello yuna... for me it is a necessity... giving your self a memorable time you have to buy camera so that you can take a picture of your self along with anything in it... i guess im not alone that dont have owned camera... i just a poor man with big fat stomach...
@yuna15 (2707)
I was really sad because during the first 4 months of my daughter I wasn't able to take pictures of her because I don't have my own digital camera yet. When we moved to our new place and luckily I got my maternity reimbursement that's when I was able to buy the camera. Thanks for the response! :)
@carinio98 (2935)
my pleasure yuna... well i guess its too many of my story are not been taking photos when i was young man...
@sameroad (3180)
for me a camera is a necessity simply because I can't live without one. I want to be a photographer. I am always taking pictures... like today, I took around 100 pictures... i take pictures every single day and usually a lot of them... I always have my camera close by and read to use... I am upgrading to a Dslr this chritmas. My parents are buying me one as investment in me for photography and i freaking can't wait to get it and start using it.. but Dslr are not cheap at all.. it's going to cost around $500-550 for my camera and that is just to get started... i'll need to get a long zoom lens, theres another $200, filters and more.. it is very expensive... but for me it is still a necessity because it's what i want to do with my life and it's my dream. I didn't think i'd have an Dslr this soon but i'm so happy to be getting one!
@yuna15 (2707)
I'm not a photographer and apparently it's not how I make a living but I really want to be able to have a good camera so that I can capture every moment that we cannot get back at all. Thanks for the response and I hope that you get your dslr soon! Happy posting!
well for me it's a necessity... i earn something from it. it give e additional cash because of it. so i badly need the camera than the sofa.
@yuna15 (2707)
Oh are you a professional photographer? I'm just amateur. . I just like taking pictures of my family...Thanks for sharing!
@Nhey16 (2519)
For me, it's a necessity, coz I always love to cherish the lovely moments of our lives... and it would really be great if there are pictures to be seen, aside from the thoughts... And now, anywhere we go, I do bring along my digicam... :)
@yuna15 (2707)
I wish I could do that too but I'm afraid to bring mine anywhere because I might get held up or something. I'd rather lose my cellphone or money than the pictures inside the cam and of course the camera itself.
@sid556 (31005)
In my opinion, a digital camera is a definite luxury. I am old so I grew up with just regular cameras. We took lots of pics and if it was an important event, we hired someone so that we knew we got the moments. I would love a digital for all the reasons that you describe but being a single parent....it just isn't in the budget. I have a 2nd hand junk of a couch because a couch is a necessity. I also have a credit card but I try not to rack it up too much. That is used for real necessities such as food and things we may need just to get by. Actually I lived without a couch for a time years ago and we wanted one but we got by. The reason it became a necessity is that I became a single mom and with 4 kids, I did not get a bedroom....it was my bed. The kids are all grown except for one now....still would not consider a digital a necessity.
I consider it a necessity so long as it remains within your budget and it is not meant for showing off to people that i have an expensive one though till now i do not have one digital camera.I am having oen film camera till now and I am not at all satisfied with it. Recently my sisters came to us with their Sony and Canon digital cameras and I saw that they can afford to take as much photos as they wish and can save tem in their computer. They can keep the photos of even trivial issues and can keep them as memory what I cnnot do.They also are collecting good memories of their children. Mine are quite bigger now. I cannot go back in time. But i am planng to buy one now to follow 'Better late than never'.
A luxury is somethign which you do not really need but still possess. A Digital camera can not be termed as a luxury. Yes if you do not take photographs and do not like to store your memories away for viewing in the future then it is a luxury. Going by the cost it does appear to be a luxury specially if you are hard for cash. It is good you settled for a regular reel camera as a temporary measure, but it has its drawbacks. You can't see the results instantly, you have a recurring expenditure on reels and then have to get it developed an printed. A digital camera does save a lot of hassels buyt then there is no hurry. You can continue taking normal pictures till you are able to afford one. When you buy, buy a good one as it is not a everyday purchase.
@checapricorn (16066)
[i]Hi yuna, I agree with your point here, but it is a necessity only for those who can afford or who have a budget even for the affordable camera....I grew up having less pictures since my Parents cannot afford to have one and to take us in the studio....I cannot blame them also since I know the budget is too tight! Now, I am trying to cover up..LOL! I am getting a lot of pictures every now and then! LOL![/i]
@UK_Shree (3604)
Although digital cameras have not been around for that long, they are a great invention! They have made photography something that even a 10 year can do! I love the way you can take 100's of images and choose just the one that you like. A while ago, you would snap around 30 pics on a regular camera, only to find a handful turned out well. I think digital cameras are a necessity
There is obviously a stage between "necessity" and indulgence. If you earn your living with a camera, perhaps it is a necessity, but given how cheap they have become, it is hard to call a digital camera a luxury any more, either. I'd hate to be without one, but I wouldn't perish from it!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
a luxury, but one that I can get really used to...
I think this is a necessity because if you go so far away you dont know when you will go twice, and you can see the pictures you have taken :D and this is nice!! well for me if you have one or maybe just two digital camera is no a luxury but if you have so many digital cameras i think it is!! well have a nice day and hope you will have a very good week ;) see you soon and bye bye.
In my opinion, it is a necessity. You need as good quality camera to capture moments that are even more precious than gold right? When you are old and you look at these pictures, you would understand why it is a necessity.