Malaria

@maximax8 (28559)
United Kingdom
Is Malaria present in your country? Have you ever been to a country where there is a risk of Malaria? My home country does not have Malaria in it. I have been to Indonesia and that has a Malaria and I went to Kenya where there is a much more serious strain of Malaria present. Anti Malaria pills give side affects and I prefer to use insect repellent and wear long sleeved clothes after dusk.
@ram_cv (16516)
I am from India and Malaria is one of the most common diseases here in India. Part of the reason the stagnant water lying in dirt pools and decaying lakes. These give rise to mosquitoes who then carry Malaria. We have eradicated a few strains of Malaria, but every few years a new strain of malaria comes along. Cheers! Ram
@maximax8 (28559)
It is excellent to hear about India because Malaria is present there. It is terrible that new strains of it can start up. I wonder how you avoid catching Malaria. Good luck.
@wolfie34 (26793)
I have enough problems with damn mosquitoes in this country my friend, I can't imagine what it would be like to go to places where they're swarms of them, they'd eat me alive for sure, there is something about me that mossies love! They leave everyone else alone but they bite me! However since taking garlic they have left me alone so far! So if I went to malaria countries I think I would be eating tonnes of garlic to stop them biting! Damn things, I hope they don't have mosquitoes in New Zealand?
@maximax8 (28559)
They have something called sand flies in some parts of New Zealand. They come out in the day and are called no see ums. Covering my legs in baby oil made sure they didn't bite me. I did the Abel Tasman Track and putting up my tent in one place I got badly bitten. I couldn't continue walking until low tide. Three German guys made a raft for their backpacks and swam across the river. I saw swarms of insects in Darwin in Australia and in Kakadu National Park where Crocodile Dundee was filmed. New Zealand doesn't have mosquitoes. The garlic trick seems to have worked for you my friend Wolfie.
@James72 (26829)
I am not aware of malaria cases in Australia but they may exist in the northern coastal areas? I have been in several countries in Asia for example that do have malaria risks but to be honest have never taken any preventative measures before. I am strange like that I guess as I have never sought to even get vaccinations or anything similar whenever I travel. It may not be considered as wise but I just haven't. If I was to travel to somewhere like a Central African country I probably would though.
@maximax8 (28559)
I know that Dengue Fever is something that has happened in Queensland. I think that Ross River Fever might also have done so. I know that Australia doesn't have Malaria so that really great. Malaria in Africa can be severe and I think the stain in Asia isn't as bad. I am glad that you didn't catch Malaria. Happy traveling.
@arkaf61 (10882)
Yes I have been in places where Malaria is a danger. Africa is one of those places and yes it is important to be very careful. Sometimes insect repellent and long sleeves is not enough, though. It is very important to be informed when we travel because often we are faced with dangers that we don't usually face back home.
@pitstop (6895)
I live in India and there is plenty of malaria especially in some areas. I myself have had malaria a couple of times! Sometimes it just gives a bad fever but I have seen people who have had jaundice, bleeding, seizures, low BP when they have had a severe attack!