Things That Make You Go Hmm

Sometimes, I wonder, why certain things are the way they are. What makes people make decisions they make in regards to safety especially. Here in Florida, adults do not have to by law, wear a helmet on a bike, motorcycle, scooter, ATV, etc. Ok fine, I dont really think the government should tell and adult what they have to do. But then I dont understand, why any adult, with any sense, would not choose to wear a helmet, on a moving object. A bike maybe not, unless you are riding on the highway. But a motorcycle, ATV, even a scooter, I really just dont get that. Why would you not want to protect your face, eyes, teeth, head, and most importantly your brain. Why take such a risk, rather than just put a helmet on? It is one of the things that make me go Hmmmm.
It's probably one of those "macho" things, but I think it's stupid. I was horrified when the helmet laws were overturned, and I think those who ride motorcycles, etc., without protection are asking for serious injuries. A guy I went to college with had a helmet on, but he lost his entire face! After massive plastic surgery, he looked nothing like his original self, and even though he was good-looking, he was clearly uncomfortable every time he passed a reflective surface, as there was on each side of the elevators at school. It doesn't take an Einstein to know how important protecting oneself is!
A macho thing, well I guess I cant understand that then. Do you think he would still take the macho approach, even after his accident?
He's never ridden a motorcycain, and he was thrilled to buy a Hummer (full-ze!), because it's sort of like buying a tank. I ran into him not long ago, and it was as if all the years had never passed!
@cjgrooms (4456)
What gets me is they let their CHILDREN ride motor bikes and 4-wheelers without one. And i don't say hmmmmm i scream ARE THEY OUT OF THEIR EVER LOVING MINDS?
Now that should be a crime and if it isnt, then someone should make a lot of noise. What an adult does with their own dumb self, is their choice, however children should be safe, period
@Bluepatch (2480)
• Trinidad And Tobago
I am really surprised by this. In Trinidad you are required to wear a helmet when on a motorcycle. I would imagine that in the US this would be required because I rode a motorbike for eleven years and I can tell you it is indeed necessary unless you want to risk a busted skull or other such injuries.
Some states in the USA require a helmet by law, however Florida does not.
I am not one wish harm on any living being, but in regards to individuals who choose to operate any kind of motor vehicle withough the proper safety gear, I feel they get what they deserve. There is only one person responsible for the consequences that occur because of their actions. That may be why the government refrains from getting involved in that particular law. Maybe they figure it's one way of eliminating some of the stupid people from their states.
I will agree it is not the brightest decision one could make.
@lingli_78 (12844)
there are lots of things that can make me go hmmm... and i never been able to find the reasons why they did that... so i stop trying to find out the reason and just try to accept people's unique behaviors... i don't want to waste my time caring so much about what other people do... it is their own personal choice... as long as their behaviors didn't disturb me, i will just keep quiet and mind my own business... take care and have a nice day...
I am all for minding my own business, but I still have those thoughts in my head that make me wonder. I dont consider that intruding in someone elses business, it is just thinking.
Well, people go hard headed sometimes. The more you warn them, the more bills and resolution passed, the harder they become. You know what's the hardest thing being on the road? It's not being able to pay your medical expenses. Well, I always tell my friend to wear his helmet cause it's the doctor's money he's carrying if his head, if he fell in the unlikely situation. We are risk-taker by default but those risk are just needed if it would be for the promotion of the common good.
I am pretty stubborn, and I despise being told what to do, but I do cherish my face being the same today as it was yesterday.
@suspenseful (40316)
I suppose it is being brave and fearing no danger, although I do think it is over cautious to wear a helmet while biking. When I was riding a bicycle it was my knees and arms I had to worry about rather than my brain. And I sure needed one when I was jumping off the gate to the sidewalk below as well as a spine adjustment. But if you are riding a motorcycle on a highway, you do need a helmet, the speed is too great and you will be going all over the place. But in Florida even - well maybe the surgeons are standing around bored because there are not that many injured people and they need the work. hmm.
Florida is supposedly a conservative state, but I find this no helmet law to be a very liberal view. I suppose you are an adult, and you get to make your own decisions, but I still dont understand the risk out weighing the benefit of that freedom.
I understand what you are saying. Me personally, I would never ride a motorcycle at all. Ever since I saw the P. Diddy video "Missing you" when he got folded on a bike, that was the end for me. They are too big and they go way too fast for me lol. But it is a situation that makes you think; you know how dangerous these things are, you know that if an accident your brains could be splattered all over the pavement, but yet and still people ride without so much as a thought to a helmet. I guess they think they are invincible, or they are too good at riding to get into an accident. I guess they never heard is isn't you that you have to worry about on the road, its the other people. Missing You Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX9cM-Ovm3s
@AamidMS (73)
Hmmmm...........see now i hummed while thinking what to write, its just the interval of thinking when we dont think anything and dont do anything, its replaced by a silly hummm.... Have you noticed that whenever you are out of thoughts u do this, or for thinking lastlongily. hmmmm.....how else to describe. yo, described.