I'm Not Voting:Does That Mean I'm Un-American Or Just Sick Of It?

By JJ
@myklj999 (26283)
Olney, Illinois
Because personally I am sick of all the crap. It's all a bunch of word-twisting juvenile game-playing anymore. I'm sick of both parties slinging mud and throwing accusations; I thought it was about better things, like coming up with realistic ways to solve problems and unite the people of our country, not divide them into two sides basically waging a war on each other. Is anyone else sick of this?
@irishidid (8724)
Sometimes I think George Carlin had it right. http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/georgecarlin/youtube/carlin-voting.htm
@MissGia (955)
George Carlin was the man, god rest his soul:(
That is a funny bit but I disagree that not voting is a good choice. It's still a decision. "If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." RUSH from "Fly by Night"
I don't think its Un-American, but I am of the belief that if you don't vote, you can't complain when stuff happens. I think that this election has been mild as far as mud slinging. At least from the Democratic side. Obama hasn't said much about McCain. I was mad when he finally broke down and did say stuff back. However, as it was explained to me, if he never said anything about the accusations McCain was making, it would make him appear weak. You are right, it is supposed to be about coming up with realistic ways to solve problems. But in order for it to be that way, and the muckraking to stop, both sides would have to agree on it, and that isn't happening, because Republicans believe Democrats are ruining the country with tax and spend, and Democrats believe Republicans are ruining the country by creating tax breaks for the wealthy. The whole thing is, if you don't speak up when its time to, and sh*t hits the fan afterwards, what can you say? You didn't voice your opinion when it was time, so your opinion doesn't count after the fact. I will be voting this year, because I want change in this mess of a country, and I want my opinion to be heard.
I agree with you 100%. That's exactly what my Dad always said, if you don't vote, you can't complain. When I think of all the people who wanted to vote, but couldn't because they couldn't afford to pay a poll tax, I am grateful to be able to vote. When I think of how little time women have had the right to vote, I count myself lucky. It's a priviledge to be able to vote, but it's more than that. It's a right and a responsibility. How do people think a democracy is run? If citizens don't participate in their own government, then they have nobody but themselves to blame when things go wrong! I think it's just pitiful that so few people vote in such an important election. Shame.
I am very sick of it! I just wish that each Party would only talk about theirselves. Or about what they will do! That is all I really want to hear. I am so tired of the Mud-Slinging Crap already. If we would hear what they are going to do. It would make it so much easier for everyone to decide. But NOOOOOoooooo. we dont just get that at all!
@ZephyrSun (7385)
I'd say you are just sick of it. Why don't you vote and write in Daffy Duck? LOL
@flowerchilde (12538)
I couldn't have said it better myself. I will still vote, but I do truly believe it is the rancor/hatred between the parties that is paralyzing the accomplishing of basically anything at all.. In my more extreme moments I swear there will be civil war in my grand kids future.. or some real enemy will lay siege to us on the sly while we are busy sniping at each other, accounting one another as the real enemy, via all the demonizing of the other which goes on for the sake of votes.
@uath13 (8206)
Oh I was soooo sick of it months ago. What a bunch B.S. . A buncha rich snobs up there whooping & hollerin for their candidate who they hope will make them richer... To make matters worse they play like our votes actually count when it's actually the electoral college that makes the final decision. Those guys are only supposed to CONSIDER our votes & don't necessarily have to vote the way we say.... WTF kinda B.S. is that.... The real question is who's lining whose pockets the best!
@ClarusVisum (2163)
You can be sick of 'low' politics, but I don't see what's accomplished by throwing away one of the most important powers you have as a citizen. Forget the pundits, and especially don't even bother watching election coverage on TV (except maybe C-SPAN, they know how to show you things without trying to tell you what to think about them). Look at the issues, look at the temperament of the candidates themselves, and make a decision that way.
Hi myklj999, I know the feeling, at the moment your country is a grip of voting fever and all that mud slinging is going on, in my country the polictains are still making a mess of this country and its all boring, I also hanen't vote for a long time as they are all the same just empty promises and the country is worst the ever. Tamara
Keep an eye on the actual candidates themselves and not so much on their "possy." It's the followers and other party members that tend to act like a bunch of fools.
@guybrush (4660)
I don't think you're unAmerican - in fact, you're lucky if voting's not compulsory in your country. In Australia it's compulsory, so we get fined if we don't vote. It would be far better if they allowed us to make up our own minds about whether we chose to vote or not - that way, the people who have given it a lot of thought would be doing the voting. When things are compulsory, it makes me want to rebel anyway. Our parliament sessions are on the telly, and it's absolutely disgraceful. If kindergarten kids carried on like that they'd be down to the principal's office for a demerit. Nothing seems to be solved - it's just oneupmanship and abuse most of the time, and people shouting down other people rather than listening. The world's gone mad - and manners have gone out the window!
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! HOLY KRAP!!!!!!! Are you SERIOUS????????????????????????????????????????? wow! I thought Australia was a democracy.
@guybrush (4660)
Yep, we are a democracy - but we are still forced to vote. Go figure!
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Saddam Huisein's "democrocy" forced people to vote too. don't take that too seriously, wasn't meant as a mean spirited jab btw.
@jahrock (111)
You actually have to accept the challenge suggested by the first part of your topic. You say, quite plainly, I AM NOT VOTING! Hey, that's your decision, so before you even get to ask whether it means one thing or the other, you have to admit that you have already decided to take the easy way out, by refusing to exercise the right to cast your vote. What's the problem? are you just afraid to front up with your personal political opinions? do you really think it's A-OK to put up some flimsy excuse for not voting....so you can come back a bit later to blame everybody else when, to your way of looking at things, the proverbial hits the fan? It couldn't matter less what nationality you belong to, because just about everybody has the same experience of doubting or questioning the political process at some point in our lives. Doesn't make you un-American, doesn't make me un-British, and one thing is for sure, being sick of it or opting out is not a viable solution, because we have a responsibility in the political process. Yes, there are times when we wonder why we bother, times when we despair at the low levels of achievements shown by those we have elected, in good faith, to make big differences in our lives and the way we are governed. The really interesting thing to watch will be how many people agree with your 'just sick of it' outlook, compared to how many challenge you to get more proactive. It will also be instructive to see whether you change your own opinion as a result of the varying angles voiced during the discussions. Rock on!
@myklj999 (26283)
• Olney, Illinois
This is the first time in my 30 years of being a voter that I plan to not cast a ballot. I realise this means I will have no cause to complain if everything gets worse than it already is; that has been my stance on non voters for ages. I am just truly fed up with the whole system, and I haven't seen any candidate that I feel can really make a difference, so I'm willing to let everyone else decide this time around.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Have all 75 or so parties got to you that badly?? Have you looked at anyone else besides the 2 big box brands? What about the libertarians? What about the Constitution party? The Green party? Or Ron Paul? Or Ralph Nader? those are 5 other alternatives at the top end. there are a bunch more as well that may be on the ballot in your state. Look in to it, but for the luv o' pete, don't NOT vote.
Whoever said that politics is the last resort of charlatans has said it rightly. They survive only by dividing others. If the world is united, they have no place here. that is their negative thinking. they need a reason to stay in power. everybody is sick of these politicians and their theatrics. You dont become un-american if you do not vote. but voting is your birthright. you have to use it constructively. do not give it away because the other is bad or evil. use it rightly. make yourself heard.
the media has vested interest in promoting a particular person. so are the business houses. voters have just one choice. to elect the one which is least dangerous or least corrput. there are no absolute good or absolute evil here.
@bdugas (3581)
Wait a minute, I believe that for the first time we have a chance at change in Washington, and I'm not talking about Obama and his constint yelling change and have yet to see him do anything. I'm talking about Palin, she has already showed that she is there in Alaska to serve the people. She is not going there to make buddies and try to look like she fits in, she is after the ones that squander our money on foolish laws that do nothing for us, but grease their own pockets. If you don't vote that does not make things better, you have a voice in this usa and you should use it. Thisis an election and we would like to see them act like grown ups, but the end result is to win the big prize, so you now they are going to sling mud, when I see it I go research what was said and see what I can find on it. I dont' think I have ever sen an election where it does not turn into a war, one side or the other is bound to start it. You have to look at who has the experience and who has done all that they can for their country while they have been in office. hate to say it but I don't see too much that Obama has accomplished in the 3 years that he has been in office. Who you believe and decide to support is your right but please dont sit back and not voice your opinion, really this is the only thing that we have left is to try and choose the best for the next 4 years. Get on the computer and research both candidates,it is what I have done. But I will be there in line to vote on election day, it is my right and i will use it.
@Pikelet (79)
I am here in the UK and yes im sick of all the backbiting that goes on withing our government,as soon as one MP puts a foot wrong their misdoings are splattered all over the daily newspapers,and if you turn on the television to watch them debating in the House of commons well its like the childrens playground.The insults are being passed back and forth and one just slates the other,these are supposedly adults,supposedly running our country,its like knidergarden.Not only do they confine their insults to the MPS them selves their families are dragged into it,it must be unbearable.Im by no means saying that the members of Parliament are saints,they arent,there are a minority thast are corrupt and motivated by greed,but that happens in all walks of life.If they called a general election now ,I would abstain,on the one hand we have Gordon Brown,who seems to be bumbling away,on the other hand we have the smart alec David Cameron,who thinks that his youthfull outlook will change our country for the better,the Monster raving loony party are more than likely the safest bet at this moment in time.
Yes mykl, I agree. I don't like either candidate. Very depressing. I will probably vote, but I will most likely just vote for whoever my hubby does.
@Foxxee (3653)
Your vote, your choice. Some say it's our duty to vote, but you know what, I don't agree with that. It's our choice. Like it or not. Heck... I'm not voting either this year && I'm still the same American I was the day I was born. Doesn't make me any less American because I wont vote. Same goes for you. :)
In my opinion, deciding not to vote, because of how the politics are acting against each other, isn't a good reason. Sorry that is just my opinion. But I believe that we all have the right to vote and should vote. You should listen to each candidate and see which one out of the two would act as a better president. Thats the only best way to go about it.
@jfilips (261)
I am not an American, but i think that politicians are all crap. Even with they all say good stuff that seem reasonable and may actually be helpful for people, nothing can assure you that they will do it when they become presidents. Beside I dont believe in politicians or any of that crap, just work your butt off and live your life =d
I don't think it makes you un-american at all. I actually totally agree with you and made a similar thread a few weeks which surprisingly no one answered haha. I'm sick of it as well. The way I see it is all these politicans promise this and promise that and its all to win the voter over but once they get in the office nothing happens. Our system is stuck in a cycle and nothing will change it until it absolutly has too so what's the point? Even if you do find that person who wants to make changes there are so many processes they have to go through to get it approved and chances are it will get shot down .