do I need a Credit Card while opening account with PayPal?

I need some clarification on opening PayPal is it necessary that one should have a Credit Card All that i have is a "Debit card/ATM card" issued by my bank in association with mastercard. will paypal accept it or they accept only Credit Cards? because while filling up, i saw they are asking only credit card details and not of debit card. kindly clarify.
I guess they were accepting debit cards on paypal coz i did sign up paypal before using a debit card. But the problem is your status is still unverified thats why i added a credit card instead.
well, i getting closer to the truth. thanks for sharing that vital info.
@winzpc (2356)
As I know to opening paypal account, you don't need any credict card or debit card. So you're as unverified paypal members. You need to verified it, when you want to draw your amount of money in paypal to your bank. So in this case, you need a debit card or credict card to verify your papyal accound. AS I know too, The only credict card that support VISA can verify your paypal account. Mastercard I don't it can verify it. Keep post happy myLotting..
thanks for the valuable info regarding mastercard. my bank has issued me a 2 in 1 debit/atm card. it can be used for shopping and for withdwring money frm ATM.
you don't need to have one. But if you don't have no you will have some limits such as the money you can take.
i learned it the hard way.
Your debit card is only one option that you have in verifying your Paypal account. They will accept that, or you can use your actual bank account to verify it as well. They stress credit card, but they do take debit cards with a logo on it. The only thing you can't use is a card that is strictly an ATM card without a MasterCard or Visa logo on it. They won't be able to access that, so it would not verify your account.
they refused the debit card on flimsy grounds. so one will b foreced touse his credit card.
No. I've got an account with PayPal and I no longer have a credit card (I might have when I first opened it, I'm not sure). Bank account and debit card details should be OK, I think.
when i filled out the form, there was a column asking for the credit card number. anyway i wil wait for a few more users here to comment on their experiences for further clarification. thank you very much for sharing the info here.