When i sing a lullaby, my two year old cries...

This is something new that i have noticed. I don't know if he's just very emotional, but at two years old? This began one night when i just hummed a lullaby to get his attention and try to make him go to bed. Then i saw him look at me with a sad face, began to sob, came to me, hugged me, and cried on my shoulders. Perhaps the song made him sad? But about what? I thought it was caused by something else, but until now, whenever i hum a lullaby, he'll just look at me teary eyed, then embrace me and begin to sob. If i do not stop, he'd eventually cry. This seems funny to me and at the same time amusing because i have not known toddlers to be so emotional in this way and quite "dramatic" or whatever you may call it. It makes me feel good when he comes and embraces me, but i also wonder what's in his mind whenever i begin to hum.
@rakittera (802)
You're probably right. Toddlers can easily pick up on the emotions of those close to them. So, if you're singing a lullabye which may sound sad, he'll pick up on that and that's probably why he cried when you sang. I remember a friend telling me the same story. She sang a sad song to her 2-year-old girl and she began to cry. When the mom asked her why, she said the saong is making her sad. Have you tried asking your baby why he's crying?
I asked him why and he could not answer because he's crying too much. Later on, when i asked him again, he could not answer for he has forgotten all about the crying over the lullaby incident already.
@kiwibee (240)
• New Zealand
Oh, I just stumbled on this, and I love your post Pinky!!! Love it. How darling of you to be so responsive to your wee one. Personally, I think he gets emotional and cries for a variety of reasons. One is that he obviously loves music and you touch a chord within him. but even more so, is that he loves YOU, and recognizes that your melody is your way of reaching out to him in love. Something special you are doing just for him. If he begins to sob, and then to cry, LET HIM!!! Sometimes, sadness builds up in our little ones. A wee bit here, a wee bit there... they don't consciously recognize or keep track of the reasons, but the feeling of despair is very real to them. A toddler has an emotionally rich life, whether their adults recognize that or not. To let him unburden himself emotionally is so beneficial. I remember one time my (first() grandson was that age... two, or almost two. He tripped and fell, and I scooped him up into my arms. We were sitting on the front porch, in the sun... I was minding him as his mum was busy elsewhere. (I loved to mind him.) He sobbed a little, from the fall, but instead of the cry tapering off, it gathered momentum and got louder. I knew instinctively that he was no longer crying because of the fall, but because he felt safe in my arms. He was unburdening himself. I didn't voice any of those parental platitudes such as "there there, don't cry. It's all right, hush now." I wanted to let him cry as much as he needed to. I knew he was "cleaning out old stuff". His cry got very loud... and then almost suddenly, it stopped. I held him for a few more seconds, and then he said "I'se gonna pick you a flower." He clambered off my knee and scurried down to my unkempt garden... picked a dandelion and brought it happily back to me. Fast forward 16 years. That same grandson phoned me and said "Nan, can I come and live with you and finish my schooling there with you?" We still love each other that much. That's what I thought of when I read your post. I see your love for your boy as being just as strong as my love for my little one. Be there for him like that and he will love you forever! Then again, perhaps he cries because he knows he has to go to bed soon and he wants to stay up! hahaha!! Whatever. Be glad he embraces you. What more joy can be had from life than being loved and accepted by a pure innocenct child.
Oh so sweet (sob! sob!). I am really touched. I think you are right. He loves me so much! ANd he knows that i love him so too. :) He is really a sensitive boy.
My youngest did this as well . I thought she didn't like my singing and it kind of bothered me because I sang to all my children and with all of them it would calm them down but with her it would make her cry . I never did figure out what it was that would make her cry but your explaination makes sence . Children do pick up on so much especailly when they are really young and not able to express themselves will . Not that I think about it , if this was why she was crying , it is kind of funny :)
It is really funny (and cute too) but it is really a wonder how babies could feel sadness by just a trigger of a lullaby. Maybe your youngest and my two year old are just more sensitive than other babies. And maybe they will grow up to be very emotional individuals.
@vijigopi (991)
My children too did the same thing when they were young. Specific songs made them cry but they liked other ones and would always ask for joyous songs when they wanted me to sing. I would be worried they wouldn't sleep if I sang a joyous song for a lullaby but they eventually would. So, try singing something else. Good luck!
OH yes, i did shift immediately to a happier melody and he started to laugh, and would play again, then he wouldn't sleep. I hope he'll get used to the lullaby and not cry, so at least it will make him sleepy. I just hope.
@rocketj1 (6960)
My son did this too if the tune was sad. Not necessarily the words, but the melody of the song.