Catholic Church no longer swears by truth of the Bible

@romo6770 (176)
Egypt
THE hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church has published a teaching document instructing the faithful that some parts of the Bible are not actually true. follow this link: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article574768.ece
The headline is misleading. If you read the full article, it says specifically that, "We should not expect to find in Scripture full scientific accuracy or complete historical precision." The Bible says (yes, I know it is ironic), that one should renew their mind and reject the world's pattern (Romans Chapter 12, verses 2) so they will see what is pleasing to God. My reading of this verse is that this is encouragement that one should seek knowledge, learn new things, and from time to time, refresh it with new knowledge and wisdom. (A holiday away does wonders for to renew a person too!) If one takes the Bible literally, then in my opinion, one is a fool. And a fool is someone God looks down contemptuously on (the book of proverbs is full of this). I apologise if anyone feels I am speaking in contempt, but that is my opinion.
I agree with you completely although I probably think a little to not literally like as its a joke... I mean seriously I really really don't get how anyone could buy into it so completely. I mean people get so brainwashed into their beliefs that they forget the world we are living in. I feel skeptical that the bible is used for anything good now-a-days people quote it more than they read it which is sad because it shows how dumb they really are. I'm not christian and even I have read the bible. I feel its widely misused as an excuse for people hatred towards one another.
sorry naokokensaku after reading that I felt like I was aiming the response to you, I wasn't I was aiming it at people in general sorry!
Wicki, no offense taken, I understand your sentiments exactly. I used to think (as a child) that I should take the Bible literally, but somewhere along the road (when I was wondering why dinosaurs weren't mentioned in the Bible) that perhaps not everything is meant to be taken literally. Especially not the last book of Revelations. It was meant as a spiritual and symbolic letter of encouragement to those being persecuted under Emperor Nero for following Christ (someone please correct me if I am wrong) rather than it being an actual description of the end days.
@Ravenladyj (22993)
They say the Church must offer the gospel in ways “appropriate to changing times, intelligible and attractive to our contemporaries”. They're just grasping this NOW... One thing I find interesting is the fact that there are SO many secrets going back centuries when it comes to the Catholic Church...and as someone mentioned already I think, the corruption and lies back in the day and still to this day are just crazy...Whats funny to me is the fact that the Catholic ways are THE most strict BUT at the same time its also the most shady denom out there..
Actually, the article was printed three years ago. TimeOnline's mark says it was printed in 2005.
If you actually go through History and look at the Catholic Church especially during the times of King Henry VIII you will find it has had corruption all around it for century's. I have nothing against the religion myself but I wouldn't trust a think that came out of their mouths. That is just my opinion... However I will point out that they are not the only ones to argue that the Bible is not all true. Others have made the argument long before they came out and said something about it.