Do you think that eating low fat is good for you? I don't, topic for discussion.

@nanajanet (4436)
For many years I believed the hype that you must eat low fat to lose weight, stay slim or stay healthy. Once I became smarter and investigating, I found out the opposite. One small tidbit found at http://www.walletpop.com/specials/overrated-in-america, says, "Low-fat diets don't contribute in the least to weight loss or reduction in heart disease. To the contrary, diets low in animal fats and high in refined flours and sugars (read: the contents of my dorm kitchen) could be the cause of diseases including diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. The real mind-blower is that low-fat diets can make you fat." I started reading labels to find out why they tasted so good but they were low in fat and found things like high fructose corn syrup (one of the worst, unhealthy sweeteners in the world), and other processed sugars. Then I researched further. It seems that fat in foods DOES NOT convert to fat in your body (I.E. clog your arteries). They had us believing eggs were bad for us, so I started eating substitutes. Had us believing butter was bad for us, so I started eating margarine. I did all that the American Heart Association said was healthy and my health got worse, and my weight got higher. WHY? Then I looked around and found that the meats, and fats were not the culprits but the sugars, the corn, the processed flour and other stuff that they tell us is "so good for you". Well I cut out the "so good for you" foods, started eating the "you should not eat these" foods and my health could not be better. Go figure, huh? I am not going to put in here all the information that I have but one book that was a wake up call was "Licking the Sugar Habit" by Nancy Appleton,MD. Now, that I rarely eat sugar, and if I do it's raw, eat my meats and eggs and butter, I have not been sick in years. I wonder why the FDA and the medical and drug industry does not want us to know this? Oh, no, I don't!! It's called.... PROFITS!!!
@Barbietre (1440)
Yes, when I followed the low fat diet all I did was gain weight, And it was all in my mid section. And I have been reading lables for years. Did you know many of the Weight Watcher products contain High fructose corn syrup also, along with many "diet products". What a way to promote healthy eating. I will always follow a low carb life, and eat more natural.
@nanajanet (4436)
Yes, isn't that just disgusting? They say it helps you but they have some nerve, unless they TOO believe what they are told. I found the Protein Power way of eating is the most natural and effective. It really sticks with what Grandma used to say, "If you want to lose weight, cut back on bread, rice and potatoes." What makes me laugh is the way they make cows and chickens fat is by feeding them corn and grains. It's one thing if you work out so much that you burn the carbs before your body processes it into fat, but most people don't.
@jashley1 (746)
I don't know about all that - I don't really look into really good nutrition quite honestly. My thing is just to eat in moderation - everything in moderation. Not too much sugar, not too much fat, not too much carbs, etc. I eat those things that I like and try to resist too many sweet temptations too often, but I don't ever deny myself foods that I really want to eat - just because it seems like if you start to do that, no matter how disciplined you get, you will eventually break down and go back to that thing which you are trying to fast from. If not careful you then loose control and start gorging and it may turn into a bad behavior. I know what I like to eat - and I love all types of foods - thankfully, so I don't really worry about the major nitty gritty of it. This way I stay happy and my body stays happy. Oh - and also I try to exercise every now and then - not all hard core or anything, but I do try to walk and do some basic cardio.
@nanajanet (4436)
If you do it that way, it's basically safe but so many foods have stuff in there that people don't realize. People will eat cereal in the morning that's packed with sugar and then kids go off to school with sugar highs, with parents thinking it's a good breakfast, then crash midday. They send them to school with granola bars, packed with tons of carbs and corn syrup because they have been led to believe by the FDA and commercials that it's good for them. Being a teacher for close to 40 years, I see how badly these kids eat, and the parents just don't know. So many are overweight with many problems, including ADD that is affected by diet, diabetes, allergies and other things, all affected by how they eat. If you go down the aisles of a supermarket and read labels, there are most aisle I don't even bother to shop in. I don't deny myself, I have just found other things that I like more and am happy with them. I will make mashed cauliflower with herbs and butter and I like it better than mashed potatoes, or I will have sweet potatoes. I will eat whole grain rice instead of white rice. When I do eat bread, it's all grain, no white flour. I use honey, stevia and other natural sweeteners instead of processed sugar and corn syrup. If I have something that I want syrup on, it's real Maple Syrup and not that stuff made from corn sugar. I occasionally have some of the stuff I don't really eat and when I do, I don't like it much anymore. My tastes have changed. It's not so much for people like you but people who do go overboard or they think they can't eat normal food and eat "light" foods and are misled into believing that it's good for them.
@Daffodil20 (1754)
A new perspective on such a vital subject.It is an eye opener.Thanks for sharing it.
@nanajanet (4436)
You are welcome. I teach dance and have fought long and hard to get parents and students to improve their health. I give them information and many ignore it but many have made changes. They actually listen!!I have seen kids with bad allergies, ADD, ADHD and even Autism, improve with a better diet. There are so many preservatives in foods, as well as processed sweeteners, bad carbs, etc. Everyone in the US has been brainwashed. I just started seeing commercials from the corn industry trying to convince us that high fructose corn syrup is natural and good for us!! Well, cyanide is natural, but is it good for us?This quote is from the Mayo Clinic at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fructose-corn-syrup/AN01588 [bHigh-fructose corn syrup is a sweetener and preservative used in many processed foods. It is made by changing the sugar in cornstarch to fructose — another form of sugar. High-fructose corn syrup extends the shelf life of foods and is sweeter and cheaper than sugar. For these reasons, it has become a popular ingredient in many sodas, fruit-flavored drinks and other processed foods. Check your food labels. You may be surprised by how many foods contain high-fructose corn syrup. Some nutrition experts blame increased consumption of high-fructose corn syrup for the growing obesity problem. One theory is that fructose is more readily converted to fat by your liver than is sucrose, increasing the levels of fat in your bloodstream. But this hasn't been proved. In addition, animal studies have shown a link between increased consumption of high-fructose corn syrup and adverse health effects, such as diabetes and high cholesterol. However, the evidence is not as clear in human studies. Despite the lack of clarity in research, the fact remains that Americans consume large quantities of high-fructose corn syrup in the form of soft drinks, fruit-flavored beverages and other processed foods. These types of foods are often high in calories and low in nutritional value. This fact alone is reason to be cautious about foods containing high-fructose corn syrup. To reduce high-fructose corn syrup in your diet, read food labels. Avoid or limit foods that contain high-fructose corn syrup. Some other easy tips for cutting back on high-fructose corn syrup include: * Buy 100 percent fruit juice instead of fruit-flavored drinks. * Choose fresh fruit instead of fruit juices. Even 100 percent fruit juice has a high concentration of sugar. * Choose fruit canned in its own juices instead of heavy syrup. * Cut back on soda.[/b]