Only 104 days til Christmas, and I was just wondering...

Have you ever spent the holiday away from your s/o? I'm not referring to situations beyond our control, like your spouse is in the service and deployed. I'm talking about by choice, somewhat. I am thinking about going back to see my parents, sister, and daughters for the holiday, I haven't seen them in 2 years. However, by choosing to do so, I will be spending the holiday away from my s/o. He won't be able to join me due to his work and Christmas day is his daughter's birthday (his only child). Now, I understand all of that and I don't have a problem that he can't go, I mean I'd love for him to be able too but circumstances dictate otherwise. So, have you ever spent the holiday apart? How did you feel about it?
@tyc415 (5706)
No, never spent Christmas away from hubby but I see nothing wrong at all for you going back to Texas. You know your parents would love to have you there, as you very well know they are not getting any younger. You have been with D for other holiday's including Christmas, now share some of your time with mom and dad. I would not have a second thought if it was me. After D retires then he can go with you up there for holiday's or maybe sometimes your parents can come to visit ya'll if their health allows for it. There is also that baby for you to meet. Do what you think is best for you but you know where I stand on this one my friend. haha
Oh, it's already in the planning stages! I'll just miss him at Christmas. And keep it underwraps (if you talk to Lindsey). Me showing up at Christmas will be a big Christmas surprise. I'm not telling anyone, but D. He does have to take me to the airport! lol How is hurricane prep going?
@tyc415 (5706)
Oh I won't say a word to her if I hear from her before then. That will be a great surprise. prep for Ike is going good, got the stuff yesterday for boarding up and food just in case we need it. It is a wait and see game right now.
Debbie is on her way to mom's, they were around Brennan when they heard the mandatory evac for Seabrook.
@LadyMarissa (12162)
Yes, I lived with a man that had a daughter & he always had to work on Christmas Eve. I lived about 500 miles from my parents so I'd go home for Christmas & he & his daughter would go to his parents for Christmas. They day after Christmas I would leave & meet them at his parents for us to celebrate ours. This wasn't the ideal situation, but it worked out better for us. I always missed them on Christmas Eve/Day & was always thrilled to see them again & we all survived!!!
Oh, I'm sure we will survive, and I'll be glad I did it, I'll be leaving around Dec 23rd, since I will have to fly from PA to Texas, then will rent a car for the 2 hour drive to my parents. I'll return home Dec 30th. So we can either do our Christmas before or at New Year's.
@LadyMarissa (12162)
My suggestion would be to have your Christmas BEFORE you leave & then have him call you on Christmas Eve or Day so you can feel his presence & he can feel yours!!!
If he is like he was last year, wanting me to open my presents early (DSLR camera) we probably will open them before I leave.lol And we'll probably talk or email everyday that I'm gone, we normally do when we are away from each other. And I'll be calling Christmas evening to wish his daughter a Happy Birthday.
I've never spent a holiday away from my spouse and I don't plan to. In your situation is it possible to go see your family a few days after Christmas (maybe New Years)? I couldn't see myself spending a holiday away from my husband. There are times when my parents come see us (they visit us quite frequently actually). Maybe you can host Christmas at your house. Just a thought.
I would love to host Christmas at our house, the problem (which I just realized I left out,lol) My family lives 1600 miles away, since I moved 3 1/2 years ago, and last time I was down for a visit was 2 years ago. Christmas was always a big deal in our house and to be honest, with aging parents, we don't know how many more chances we'll have.
Wow, that is a long distance to have them travel. Hmmm, that's a difficult decision. Unless you go a few days after when your husband could possibly get off work I guess you would have to leave him behind. It's sad though because I wouldn't want to spend any holiday away from my husband and I'm sure you don't either.
I can't wait till it's Christmas day! I have spent Christmas a couple of times away from home. It's different. It's not as fun but I was with friends then so it wasn't so lonely after all. Maybe someday, you'd be able to spend your Christmas with everyone. ^^
Hopefully we can all be together for the next Christmas. But, for now I'm planning on going since I haven't seen my parents or youngest daughter in 2 years. I know he understands, and if it wasn't for it also being his daughter's birthday, I'm sure he would join me. But, having raised two daughters myself, I know how important it is to be around during their teenage years. My daughters are 19 and 26. I'm sure we will either have our Christmas before I leave or wait for New Year's Eve when I'm back home.
@wotfpatty (2068)
I will have been married for 25 years this Christmas Eve and I never spent a Christmas away from my husband. However, if I were in the situation you are in, my husband would completely understand me wanting to see my family during the holidays. Family is very important and I know my husband would be fine with me going. We'd celebrate Christmas when I got back. On the other hand, you could spend Christmas with your husband and take part in his daughter's birthday then go see your family and have a late Christmas together. I probably would discuss with my family if that would work. I wouldn't expect them to hold off on Christmas for me, but we could all get together a week after or whatever and celebrate being together. If you feel comfortable going and your husband is cool with it, I say go! We have yo make time for our families as well as our spouses and whatever you decide will be the right thing for you.
Thanks, he does understand. And the thing is, it will be a surprise for my parents and my girls! And I know our holidays together are growing shorter due to my parents age and health.
@ch88ss (2270)
I have not. But I really want to because I feel I need to break. Is it 104 days only? Wow, times flies.
@izathewzia (5142)
My spouse works abroad. And it is he is always away from us during Christmas. But it is okay, it is understood. Since he is working for the future of our family. But if ever I am given a choice, i want to spend our Christmas with him. My kids are longing for that.
Ever since my wife and I got married, the answer is no; we've spent every single holiday together. We've been together for 5 years, married for almost 2, and since we've been married we haven't even spent a night away from each other, let alone an entire holiday season, nor do I believe I would ever want to. It's just comfort and being with the one person I love the most. I wouldn't change it for anything else!
This is gonna be my first hoilday season with out my dh cause is drives a big truck over the road. I am not going to like it because I have not been apart from him in 4 years.
I have never been in this situation and would find it really hard . Christmas if my favorite time of the year and I want to be surrounded by all those I love and care about and would find the holidays difficult if I knew this was not going to be the case . It is very good that you are understanding about this as there is not much that can be done about it and you will enjoy spending time with your family and you can always celebrate before or after the holidays for just you guys .