Why are you an atheist?

I am just curious. I am Catholic but not so religious. Why are you an atheist? Why did you convert or were you really ever since? Hm. What do you believe in besides the obvious?
@Cannonball (3635)
• France
Well, I'm like this but I'm not even sure about my beliefs and maybe I would never have a clear opinion about all these things because it seems a lot of things are contradictive and well so I'm a bit lost lol I became like that because I think I was tired you know of all these lugubrious ceremonies and also with the fact that some members of my family are some sort of jerks and keep claiming you know they're catholic so well to me all was just wrong with my catholic family and nothing taught me better than my own experience. I like to learn from my own life,there is no books or people who knows it better than me
I understand.. Pretty independent of you. Yeah, all those ceremonies are quite tiring. But I must say that religion has done me good. It's just me who's the problem I guess.
• France
Just because you don't follow the religion?
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
I am a catholic too. Sometimes I have to revise my deeds and behaviour. It seems that there are many lapsed catcholics around the world. We profess that we are catholics however our behaviour resembles that to atheists if not worse.
I think we're what they call "lukewarm". Lukewarmness, a devil in disguise by Saint Escriva, I think.
@Latrivia (2889)
I don't see any proof for the existence of a God, and I have no need for a God in my life. I get along quite well without believing there's some supernatural entity watching over me. What do I believe in? Well that depends...are we talking morally or supernaturally. I don't really have any supernatural beliefs, but I think the idea of ghosts is cool. I don't really have a belief in the afterlife, though I have toyed with the idea of our energy (essence, or soul as most religious people call it) being released into the universe and we linger in some state of awareness. I don't believe this of course, but it sounds like a romantic idea nonetheless. As for morals - I won't even get into them unless directly asked. Let is suffice to say they fall along the lines of "whatever floats your boat as long as you're not sinking anyone elses."