Should babies be baptized?

Baptism in water - Jesus was baptised
@BriNbai (912)
I believe that babies should not be baptized in water because the are new beings and they have no sin.Christians believe that you should be able to fully understand what baptism really means.Baptism is part of salvation its a way of getting right with God to reach him in a more spiritual level.To have God wash away their sins and start a new life with Christ in their lives.I don't think a newborn baby has commited any sins and does not understand the concept of baptism in water.Jesus himself wasn't baptized until he was around 33 years old. What is your opinion on this?should babies be baptized or should you be able to make that decision when you fully understand the concept?
@kellys3ps (3728)
I was raised Catholic, so we baptize babies.
@BriNbai (912)
So its a tradition to baptize a baby and nothig more?
@carmela0210 (1591)
yeah sure they have to..every baby have the right to be christians...
@BriNbai (912)
...Yes they have the right to be christian but being babys they dont know that a christian or baptism is.
@salonga (28016)
No. Babies should be dedicated to the Lord but not baptize yet. Baptism is only for those who who have already accepted Jesus in their heart. In Mark Chapter 16, verse 16, Jesus says, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved". Therefore, one must be a believer in order to be a subject of baptism. Babies are still too young to understand what salvation is all about so they first have to reach the age of accountability when they already understand that they are sinners and need a Savior. Once they accepted that they are sinners and have repented and accepted Jesus in their heart then Baptism should follow. In Acts 2:38 it says, "Repent and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost". In Romans6:4 Paul tells us we are raised from baptism to walk in a newness of life. A person who understands he is a sinner, and believes what Jesus has done for him in the cross and is willing to confess to the Lord can be baptized in order to walk in the newness of life. A person failing to qualify in any one of these areas should not be baptized. Therefore an infant who is still too young and cannot comprehend these important things yet should not be baptized.
@BriNbai (912)
Exactly..children have to be dedicated to God. Its then the parents and churches responsibility to keep that child on the path to the Lord that way when the age come he or she can chose to be baptized because they feel it in their heart.
@jammyt (2824)
Well, I think it really depends on your customs and beliefs. In our country, it is a tradition to have a baby baptized when he is about on his 3rd month or so. yes, we acknowledge that they do not understand what is happening yet, that is why there are Godparents to stand beside them and answer for them. When a child reaches his 12th or 13th year in life, they receive another sacrament (Confirmation). This is where they renew their vows when they were baptized. this is done by the Bishop of the country. One cannot get married without being confirmed first.
@BriNbai (912)
Thanks for your answer.I understand that the tradition to have a baby baptized is there but I still believe that baptism is more than tradition and more spiritual and individual than that. :]
I firmly agree that babies should be bapized it is a way of welcoming him/her as christian and as son/daughter of God.
@sharra1 (6342)
I agree with you. Babies are not born in sin and the water frightens them. It always makes them cry. I believe that baptism should be an adult ceremony when the person is old enough to know what they are agreeing to and then they have to consciously choose to belong to that church. They are not forced into it by their parents just to follow a family tradition. There used to be a Christian sect called the Ana Baptists (not sure of the spelling) who believed in baptising twice. Once when a baby and then again when the person was an adult. The Catholics labeled them heretics and they were attacked and murdered. I have never forgotten the horror I felt when I read what was done to them just because of this belief. The men were roasted alive over fires and the women and children were put into ovens and roasted. I think it was in Holland but I am not sure about that. To me these acts are evil done in the name of Jesus and that makes them worse. It is acts like this that turned me against Catholicism. I could not understand a faith that could commit such acts of cruelty against anyone just for being different. Then I saw that other Christian sects did this as well. How can these people preach what they do and then go out and practice something quite different.