Work on your own car?

mechanics - working on your own car
@BriNbai (912)
Do you work on your own car when it needs to be repaired? I recently found out that one of my cars need to have the brake pads replaced.I was quoted about $1200 to have this done My aunt and dad said they could both do this and they wouldnt charge me anything but of course I would buy the parts and food for them lol But Im a little nervous because neither is a mechanic and although they work on their own cars all the time this is something kind of major..I mean brakes are really important lol. What do you think?Do you work on your own cars?How many women out there work on their own cars?AND..would you do something like brake replacement yourself or would youleave it to a profesional?THANKS!
@goldeneagle (6775)
Brakes are simple. I have done them before myself. I can do some things on my own, but there are certain things, like fuel injectors and air conditioning that I leave to the pros. It really all depends on the car in question. I am a little more leary of working on the newer ones because of all the electronics and computers and things on them. However, I actually enjoy working on some of the older ones. Cars used to be really easy to fix...
@BriNbai (912)
Thanks for your response.I thought something major like breaks would be really dificult but Ive been hearing its easier then alot of things.I actually thought Air conditioning would be easier lol..but thats how much I know..Well I am liking the fact that I can save 1200 dollars lol
Air conditioning is one of the few things on a car that I absolutely refuse to work on, simply because I know nothing about it. It may be one of the easiest things to fix, I have no clue, but because I don't know what I am doing with it, I will not touch it. I have a general understanding of how it works, but I have no clue how to fix anything on it.
@shymurl (2768)
Well as a female I know how to change the oil and change a tire. I have not had to do that though. but i'm sure its good to know. my dad use to work on his all the time. and still does. He has changed the brakes before, plugs, wires and such. There has not been a problem with anything that he does on the vehicle. but something major I will get a professional to look at it. Overall I have no problem looking at a car to try to see whats wrong with it.