How has traveling changed?

@maximax8 (28560)
United Kingdom
When I was traveling around the world I had to send letters and from Australia to the UK took about a week. International phone calls were very expensive in these days. 9/11 changed traveling forever I think with security being tightened at all airports. In the last year travelers are not allowed liquids in their hand baggage now. There is a silly rule of only 100ml allowed and the bottles to be kept in a transparent bag. I get thirsty because I can't take a water bottle with me anymore. Sadly many airlines have ceased flying lately and so that has been disappointing. It is easy to email friends and send text messages these days so that is very convenient. How has traveling changed since you began to travel?
@SukiSmiles (1998)
Another way it has changed is that I have friends that will upload photos and send send out cards from a US service about the great time they are traveling abroad. But I miss getting the postcards with the native stamps on them. And having the postcards arrive after they have gotten back! lol
@maximax8 (28560)
Thanks for your excellent response. Technology has moved on and I also miss getting postcards with lovely stamps on them. One friend was in Hungary and telephoned me and another friend was in the Netherlands and sent me a text message. Uploaded photos are wonderful to see but cut out the need for a snail mail correspondence.
@wolfie34 (26792)
Travelling is certainly more stressful now my friend and having to wait around in the airport is not a good thing, when they increased the time you have to be at the airport before the flight. Doesn't help my nerves, although I have to say I had a wonderful experience when I flew to Rhodes last year. I am not a frequent flier and whilst 9/11 didn't put me off flying I do think there are a lot more restrictions and security but that is for our own protection and these measures have to be in place but I do think flying is such an ordeal I just want to get there I hate hanging around!
Haha! That brings back memories! Yes I remember sending a postcard home when I was younger and it not getting to the person until after I'd actually arrived home myself!!! : )
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
About 12 years ago I used to go to my travel agent in order to book me a flight and search for accommodation. Thanks to the help of internet, it is more convenient to do the spade work yourself. You can save a bit of money if you stay here browsing and look for the best prices. Although the security measures are a bit of a pain, I do understand that they do this for our own safety precautions. So although I might grumble cos of thirst, I prefer it that way.
@writersedge (22579)
Canada and the US, we only needed driver's licenses. Now people are fighting over that. Some want passports, others don't. They keep telling us we need passports by a certain date and then close to that date, they change it. We still don't have to have them, but probably some day. Longer lines to Canada. They type in your license plate number and your drivers license number and ask more questions. Before they just asked where you were from, where you were going and checked your car plate against a list of suspect numbers and you were on your way. Now it is a lot longer. 5 minutes was the normal amount of time, now 20 is getting to be normal and with the price of gas, who wants to wait? But there is a speedy pass for people who work in one country and live in another. They have their own lane.